The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

NETWORK!! My #2. Glad to see it do so well. Such a fantastic film - funny, sad, and eerily prophetic. We have not listened to the lessons it has tried to teach.

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I've never seen Blazing Saddles.
Don't be ashamed. Rejoice in having never polluted yourself with this crap. Ah, a lucky, lucky man, indeed. How I envy you, sir. Thankfully, I rememer very little of the experience, but I still have to live with the shame of the knowledge that I did see it. I can only plead that I was young and I've not made the same mistake since.
I didn't think Amarcord was that popular.
Me neither. Starting to worry if it really is this high up.
That guy is a legend.
No, he isn't. No one who does anything on Twitter or Facebook is.

Loved Network and it was, possibly, the hardest cut to make on my list. I just hadn't seen it in so long and I'd seen everything else towards the backend of my list much more recently. It's a great film though and it's about the only film I wish I had watched for this list, because I think it might've made it. Though the thought of cutting the film I have at #25 is terrifying, so I don't know what would've happened.

Saw The French Connection again fairly recently. Still does nothing for me. It's well made and everything, naturally, but it just happens. I sit there. It finishes. I turn it off and do something else and don't think of it again.

Amarcord is trendy right now with MoFos. It's a fad movie here.

Damn the seventies were cool.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I voted for two of the three Lumet 70's movies. Network was the one I did not vote for. I thought it was good though.

Like Serpico, The French Connection is a great police drama that we just don't get enough of. It starts fairly slow letting us get to know the characters. I am never bored though. Every character and location has such a lived in feel to it. The tone set is fantastic. The second half of the movie is flawless. As fun and exciting as any thriller I have seen. It is the third movie I watched specifically for this countdown to make my list at lucky #13.

Don't forget, it was only 4 years ago that Superman: The Movie made the MoFo Top 100. I know there are a lot of different members since then and higher quantity of lists but it would really surprise me if a film that appeared on the Top 100 overall list that only had close to ten 70s films on it wouldn't make a 70s list featuring 100 films. Count on it

the last of the mohicans didn't make the 90s list.
Bad logic, then. Guess that's the nature of the board over time

People call Network prophetic, but A Face in the Crowd predates it by twenty years. If you like Network, do yourself a favor and watch A Face in the Crowd. It's rarely discussed, but it's an excellent movie (better than Network, in my opinion). When the 50's Countdown eventually rolls around, I'll be pimping the hell out of it.

People call Network prophetic, but A Face in the Crowd predates it by twenty years. If you like Network, do yourself a favor and watch A Face in the Crowd. It's rarely discussed, but it's an excellent movie (better than Network, in my opinion). When the 50's Countdown eventually rolls around, I'll be pimping the hell out of it.
Wow. Never heard of that one before, but it looks amazing. Thanks for the awesome recommendation, Captain!

Network and The French Connection are two excellent films. I don't know why the latter wasn't on my list but you other mofos made it happen - well done!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra