Thoughts on remakes

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Perhaps. But there's no reason to think even half of these "in development" or "announced" projects will get off the ground.
HK is only posting about the films that are in the works of being remade (a few of them are coming out in the next two years, to be exact).

Originally Posted by honeykid
Have you seen the page before this? If not, go ahead, you'll get a real thrill.
Indeed.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Normally I'd wait until I had a few more to go with this but, as it's Cameron and people seem to care what he's doing, I thought I'd go ahead with it.

James Cameron will co-executive produce and direct a segment of the new version of 1981 animated film Heavy Metal.

The Aliens filmmaker will join directors David Fincher and Gore Verbinski, among others, in bringing the project to the big screen, Total Film reports.

Producer Kevin Eastman said: "I’ve got breaking news that David Fincher and James Cameron are going to be co-executive producers on the film.

"Fincher will direct one. Cameron will direct one. Zack Snyder is going to direct one and Gore Verbinski is going to. Mark Osborne and Jack Black from Tenacious D are going to do a comedy segment for the film."

He added: "Three other directors have agreed but we haven’t signed them, but they’re equally as jaw-dropping. So we’re on cloud nine to be working with such an amazing amount of talent."
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...al-remake.html

Just been farting around in Google images and found this...yup it would appear they're remaking George A. Romero's 1973 viral outbreak horror The Crazies. Personally I don't think this is such a bad thing; whilst good, the original is looking extremely dated these days.

IMDB link here

Indeed I did, but the poster's new.

A few more bits.

The Incredible Mr Limpet is being remade with Kevin Lima directing.

After denying it, Bradley Cooper has now confirmed that he'll play Faceman in the A-Team remake. Liam Neeson, Bruce Willis, Woody Harrelson and Chris Pine all linked. Mission rumoured to play B.A.

Neil Marshall linked to the Predator reboot.

Marcus Nispel is the latest director who's agreed to direct the Conan remake.

I'll update all this on page 7 another time.

More remake news.

Josh Peck and Adrianne Palicki have signed for Red Dawn.

Neil Burger to write and direct Bride Of Frankenstein. (Until someone actually puts their name on the dotted line, this is definately tentative.) I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but Guillermo del Toro also has a Bride Of Frankenstein on the go that he wants to do with Doug Jones.

Todd McFarlane (Spawn creator) has said that, in his remake of Spawn, Spawn isn't the main character, a guy chasing Spawn is and, for that part he wants Leonardo DiCaprio. That's probably as close as it's going to get to happening, but I just thought I'd add it as I know we have a couple of Spawn fans here.

Even though I am practically gettin sick of reading every day of remakes bein made of almost every damn movie lol, I was kinda excited about Dreamworks' Oldboy remake. But due to legal complications it seems it wont be happening, Firstshowing.net has reported the following....

Futabasha is suing to confirm the lack of a binding contract between the two parties, due to an alleged breach. Futabasha asserts that Show East violated its basic agreement with Futabasha, and thus nullified it, when Show East pushed for the production of a film remake with America's Universal Pictures. Show East signed its contract with Futabasha over film rights in September of 2002, and signed a second contract in December of 2003 that amended the original one to cover other materials.

Isn't it Common linked to BA?
You're quite right Pyro, it is.

OK, so JRS2's been banned but, if that's correct, thanks for the info.

Producer Frank Marshall has said that he's still working on getting the rights to reboot the Neverending Story franchise, but that it'll still be a good while before they're ready to shoot.

More remakes.

The Complete History Of My Sexual Failures 2012. Not the usual, as this is a remake of a documentary.

The Dambusters 2010. Peter Jackson maybe taking the roles of both producer and director.

The Robocop remake has been put back to 2011, as it's still in the scripting stage and no one's been cast.

Dorian Gray - 2009 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235124/ Not sure how I've missed this one.

Paramount are in the early stages of putting together a Meatballs remake. IMDB already has it with a 2010 'release date'.

On a similar vein, Warner Bros. have announced that they're hoping to remake Teen Wolf.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Damn, after reading the last three pages of this thread, you'd think that Hollywood only makes remakes.

I'm still in shock over seeing one listed on page 7 that went something like this:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Tom Cruise rumoured.

I haven't quite gotten over that one.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
My thoughts on remakes: It depends on the original film. I haven't seen enough to mention any specific ones. There are definately some classic that are irreplaceable though!

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
They're making an americanized version of one of my favorite British comedies, Death at a Funeral. There is absolutely no need for a remake, it's been two years! Written by and starring chris rock I'm so not ok with any of this...

Even though there's no reason to remake it since it's almost perfect the way it is (I know, it hasn't stopped 'em before), I bet you haven't heard about a planned remake of Song of the South.
Can you imagine a PC "update" of Song of the South? Would probably turn it into a rock opera with "updated" songs by some punk rock group (or whatever the current music fad is now---rap???) Wonder who they'll tap to play Brer Rabbit?

They're making an americanized version of one of my favorite British comedies, Death at a Funeral. There is absolutely no need for a remake, it's been two years! Written by and starring chris rock I'm so not ok with any of this...
Indeed they are. Chris Rock is a huge fan of the film, he's pretty much the driving force behind it being remade, so at least it's being done by someone who's a fan. In case you don't know, here's the skinny

Death At A Funeral 2010 Neil La Bute directing James Marsden, Luke Wilson, Chris Rock, Martin Laurence, Danny Glover. UK release date June 4th 2010.

Damn, after reading the last three pages of this thread, you'd think that Hollywood only makes remakes.

I'm still in shock over seeing one listed on page 7 that went something like this:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Tom Cruise rumoured.

I haven't quite gotten over that one.
I know what you mean and I haven't bothered with listing sequels (still toying with the idea. Would anyone be interested?)

The Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is just a rumour though, if I remember the rumour correctly, it's Tom Cruise's production company that's behind trying to bring it to the screen so, if it does happen, there's good chance that he'll be in it.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Ugh, there is no friggin' reason whatsoever to remake Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. NONE. I can sometimes see some of these other films being remade, but why in the heck would anyone even consider it?

The film isn't dated. Believe me, I just watched it when Newman died and it plays as funny and entertaining today as it did then. There is nothing whatsoever about it that screams for a remake.

Tom Cruise is an idiot. And if he thinks he can even compare to either Redford or Newman, or that he can achieve that same charisma, he's worse than an idiot.

If this is true, it confirms he's gone off his rocker.

*sorry had to get that off my chest*

Banned from Hollywood.
The quote that every director says upon the release of a remake is "It is a remake for a new generation of audience to discover"..this is more than laughable.

A movie fan will discover a good movie if he/she wants to. Remake or no remake.

If it ain't broke, dont fix it. This is my view on most remakes

A couple of 'biggies' if they happen

John Landis has confirmed that he is in negotiations with Dimension Films for the remake rights to An American Werewolf In London. There's also a Blu-Ray disc release for the 'original' scheduled for later in the summer.

The other's a bit of an old chestnut, with a slightly new twist.

Hugh Jackman and Miley Cyrus are to star in a new film loosely based on The Bodyguard. Variety said, earlier in the year that "... Jackman was to feature in the picture as "a tough Gotham police detective forced into bodyguard duty for a spoiled teen heiress who is receiving kidnapping threats". I've also read the word "Musical" used in relation to this.

Hugh Jackman and Miley Cyrus are to star in a new film loosely based on The Bodyguard. Variety said, earlier in the year that "... Jackman was to feature in the picture as "a tough Gotham police detective forced into bodyguard duty for a spoiled teen heiress who is receiving kidnapping threats". I've also read the word "Musical" used in relation to this.
I saw this What is hugh thinking I can't understand how she gets so much work