Vote on the next countdown (Oct. 2023)

Tools    

What should our next countdown be (Oct 23)?
30.36%
17 votes
Films not on previous lists
23.21%
13 votes
Underseen films
30.36%
17 votes
Musicals
46.43%
26 votes
Noir
28.57%
16 votes
Some decade refresh
10.71%
6 votes
Other (specify below)
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

There's a distinction for me and many of us...it's doing what seems fair and doing what seems best for the MoFo community.

So what I think we should do to be both fair and for the MoFo community is:
Musicals
Romance
B movies

Redoing countdowns should be saved for later until the bigger genre ideas are done.

My list would go like this:

'90s
Musicals
Romance
Films Directed by Women (redux)

I think there is a certain logic to doing the '90s next, as decades were "skipped" last time around, and while all of the decade have been done, it's been over 10 years since the '90s were done. There are (more or less) two countdowns per year, so the schedule (if I may presume) would look something like this:

2024 (2nd countdown): '90s
2025 (1st countdown): genre/other (Musicals? Underseen?)
2025 (2nd countdown): '80s
2026 (1st countdown): genre/other (Romance? Not on a List?)
2026 (2nd countdown): '70s
2027 (1st countdown): genre/other
2027 (2nd countdown): '60s
etc. etc., we should all live so long

I mean, yeah, you'd never get to all of the subgenres or other suggestions, but none of this is that serious anyway, I hope.

It would help if everybody could list their top 3-4 poll options
90s Redux
Action
History / Biography
Sports
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I think a sports one might bore me. There are very, very few sports films I've fallen head-over-heels for. The only 100/100 for me is Million Dollar Baby and I'm even thinking about lowering that. Plus, we should wait until Challengers becomes available for streaming, considering all the hype.

90s redux
Animation re drawn
80-90s action (these two in particular)
Directors

Musicals
Sports
90's
Directed by Women

And a little outside the box but how about a Oscar Winning Best Picture countdown someday. Find out what we think is the top BP winner.

I understand the resistance to redoing lists, given the numerous still-undone genres (and other categories), and if that ends being the consensus I’m certainly fine with that.

My counter-argument is that there is precedent for redos: the first three lists have been redone (horror, Top 100 all-time, and the 2000s list is basically the Millennium list redone), and there’s been plenty of forum turnover since the early lists. And for decade redos specifically, they also provide a good “break” from the genre-specific lists that some people inevitably bow out of. So they have value from a forum-interest point of view.

But, you know, I’m not married to the concept if the majority is against it.

Just to reiterate what I said before, this is what I'd like to see in the poll:

Animated
Musicals
Not on previous lists
Romance
Underseen films
90s Redux
LGBT+

Though I have no enthusiasm for either musicals or 90s (my 90s ballot would probably look nearly identical to the one I submitted in 2013).

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
90's
Actors
80's
Road movies
70's

I floated this before, but I see a couple ways to do actors/actresses.

You could do it straight forward, simply a list of one's Top 25 performers (splitting up male and female, if wanted), voting for their total body of work.

Or there is a way to reexamine the decade lists without simply redoing them: by voting for favorite performances, by decade. Single titles could pull more than one nominee of course, and those MoFos who think vocal performances for animation or motion capture works don't get their due could rectify that by elevating them on their ballots. It would also allow you to vote for strong/favorite performances in films that maybe don't work as well in total, or are the lighter fare or deep genre kind of movie that would have a difficult time making a straight decade list but could get a mention through a marvelous or iconic performance. People are always complaining about the Oscars snubbed this performance or that, well, now you can vote.

refloat
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Okay, cool, good sampling. Let me sorta-kinda "add" these up and try to have a poll up tomorrow-ish.

(Others can and should keep posting their top category choices in the meantime.)