Your Best Movie In 2014

Tools    

I've seen quite some interesting movies this year but they're not 2014 releases. Mostly late 2013 releases. The ones I've enjoyed are 12 years a slave, A guy thing and don't laugh The Zookeeper. The most interesting to me was A guy thing cos i could relate to it. What's your most interesting movie in 2014?

Given that it is only February it seems a strange time to make this post but I think very few films will top "Texas Buyers Club" for me.

Given that it is only February it seems a strange time to make this post but I think very few films will top "Texas Buyers Club" for me.
You probably mean Dallas Buyers Club? I still consider that a 2013 film.

You probably mean Dallas Buyers Club? I still consider that a 2013 film.
I do indeed - I would consider it as a 2014 film as I saw it here in the UK as 2014 film, which begs the question? If a film was made in 2013 and the US saw it then and I see now where does it stand?

I do indeed - I would consider it as a 2014 film as I saw it here in the UK as 2014 film, which begs the question? If a film was made in 2013 and the US saw it then and I see now where does it stand?
I'm always using the IMDb years as my standard.

I'm always using the IMDb years as my standard.
But if the film does not come into the mainstream until the year that it does go against this? For example "You're Next" on IMDb shows it as a 2011 film but did not make it into the cinemas until 2013, I would say it is a 2013 film because that is when it came to a cinema to be seen.

But if the film does not come into the mainstream until the year that it does go against this? For example "You're Next" on IMDb shows it as a 2011 film but did not make it into the cinemas until 2013, I would say it is a 2013 film because that is when it came to a cinema to be seen.
Yeah, there are definitely flaws with the IMDb standard, but I had to draw a line somewhere for myself, otherwise it would become too complicated. I understand your criticism against it, though.

Yeah, there are definitely flaws with the IMDb standard, but I had to draw a line somewhere for myself, otherwise it would become too complicated. I understand your criticism against it, though.
Dude it's not a criticism on IMDb in anyway, what I am talking about is when a film comes out in a cinema screen.

Dude it's not a criticism on IMDb in anyway, what I am talking about is when a film comes out in a cinema screen.
I know. I meant criticism against me using IMDb as a standard regarding what year a movie should be catalogued in.

Dallas Buyers Club is obviously a 2013 film. It doesn't matter when you see it. When it was first released is what matters. If it wasn't a 2013 film, it wouldn't have competed at the 2014 Oscars.

The OP was talking about movies that have been watched this year, not necessarily those that were released in 2014. So Dallas Buyers Club is a valid choice.

Then my favorite film seen in 2014 would have to be Serpico, which was released in 1973. Favorite 2013 film, out of the 46 I've seen so far, is Prisoners, followed by The Wolf of Wall Street.

Let the night air cool you off
I can't even remember what I watched in January, but I have kept up with what I have seen in February. I've seen a whopping five movies this month. Only Yesterday would be the best though.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
The best film I saw this past month was definitely, and maybe obviously, the film where my new avatar comes from. Victor Erice's The Quince Tree Sun:

Favorite film I saw this year so far included The Wolf of Wall Street (which I first saw on Christmas Day 2013) and Frozen which I saw New Years Day.

I also rewatched Apocalypse Now for the first time in years and that is a bloody masterpiece of cinema!

But for a film released in 2014 my best film so far is when Lone Survivor got it's wide release in January.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The only 2014 releases that I have seen so far this year are Lego Movie, An Awkward Moment, and RoboCop.

Hardly a good representation of this year's movies. (Although, by this time last year, I had only seen Warm Bodies in 2013)

Lego Movie wins and then some, so far, however.

I don't have anymore movies that I want to see in February though, the next movie that I want to see is The Grand Budapest Hotel in March and maybe Need for Speed if my aunt wants to see it.

Basically, here's a run-down:

February: That Awkward Moment, Lego Movie, RoboCop
March: The Grand Budapest Hotel and Need for Speed
April: Captain America: Winter Soldier and Transcendence
May: The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Godzilla, and X-Men: Days of Future Past
June: 22 Jump Street and The Purge: Anarchy
July: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
August: Guardians of the Galaxy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
November: Interstellar, Dumb and Dumber To, Mockingjay Part 1, and Horrible Bosses 2
December: The Hobbit 3: There and Back Again

There will probably be one or two spur of the moment additions thrown into it, but the hope is that I can at least match my record of twenty-one movies seen in theater in a year. (I did it last year too.)

I liked the Lego Movie. Took my kid to see it. Didn't think it was going to be funny for adults but I was genuenly surprised.