How Much Did You Like the Movie Forrest Gump?

Tools    

Banned from Hollywood.
I'm not a fan, I'll watch it if it's on. But I never get why it's praised so highly.

it is so highly praised because it has an incredible screenplay, with a lot of messages and nuances...

the reason why most great movies in this genre are praised.

Life is like a box of chocolates: a cheap, perfunctory gift which you did not ask for and cannot return.

I remember seeing it when it came out and thinking "meh", and now there's no way I'd bother watching it again.

While I'm not sure it deserved its Best Picture win, I think it's a very good movie. It takes a fun, light-hearted look at the events of the previous few decades, has a fantastic soundtrack, and is full of memorable characters.

I wouldn't rank it anywhere near the top of my list of favorites but I do very much enjoy it.

Life is like a box of chocolates: a cheap, perfunctory gift which you did not ask for and cannot return.

I remember seeing it when it came out and thinking "meh", and now there's no way I'd bother watching it again.
LOL

New here. However may I say it I loved the experience that forest gump gave throughout the movie which accumulated to the extremely sad ending. Im really a comedy/thriller movie liker but honestly this movie had everything and i generally thought it was great.

LOL

New here. However may I say it I loved the experience that forest gump gave throughout the movie which accumulated to the extremely sad ending. Im really a comedy/thriller movie liker but honestly this movie had everything and i generally thought it was great.
Hi there and welcome to MoFo... we have an introductory forum if you'd like to introduce yourself and meet a few of the others...

Introductions

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I liked it, but not as much as most. I don't see what's so great about it.

One Word- Awesome

I enjoyed it at the time, but I haven't seen it for years. I just remember everyone quoted it a lot.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
LOL

Um, thriller? I think I must have missed that aspect

Yeah, more of a comedy/drama.

But it's kind of funny to think of a "thriller" type genre installed in Forrest Gump.

Making a difference
jst saw this movie recently and it is one of my best movies ever. the mix of humor, adventure, war and romance bleeded perfectly. its pure entertainment with a great story!

I liked this movie so much, that after watching it, I got inspired to the point where, on a whim, I decided to go running all the way across the country.
However, by the time I got to the end of my block, I was so devastatingly winded, & I was weezing so desperately for air, that I was convinced that my left lung must've collapsed in on itself.
So, instead, I just reminded myself that "stupid is as stupid does", & went back into my house & ate an entire "box of chawk-letts".
Which, of course, is what life is kinda like.

I know a lot of people who hate this movie and love it, for me I really like but for a while I hated it because everyone would talk in the Forest Gump accent.. most annoying thing ever.

I love Forrest Gump. I think if you're depressed and need a good pick me up movie, this is the film for you. I recently watched it again on Blu-ray and it just meant so much more to me than it did all those years ago when I watched it as a little kid.

It's a very optimistic movie -- really makes you appreciate life. It's kind of unrealistic, but in a magical way - in a movie way. It's philisophical.

I always saw the beggining but never made it all the way to the end.. Guess its not the right movie for me

I find the popularity of the movie disturbing. If Carl Jung was correct in that stories reflect the values of a society then movie has me worried for our society. This movie is the embodiment of the selfish notion that every life is important and that we all are destined for something great whether we know it or not. In the movie Forest influences everything from dancing, to watergate. It attempts to make the case that every life is equally sacred, and I am not a fan of that idea.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think you miss the point of the movie. Forrest certainly does experience many things which are important to our life, but he's not responsible for them. They would have all happened and been discovered without him. In other words, Hunt and Liddy would still have been discovered without Forrest, and honest to God, they were! The point of Forrest Gump and what makes it an important stepping stone for younger people who have no concept or desire to learn about the history of the United States during the last 50 years is that movies can actually teach them something about reality which is totally separate from vampire love, torture, wizards, werewolves, paranormal bullshite, bogus witches, etc. At my school, more teenagers probably learn about the concepts of the reality of rock and roll, civil rights, modern U.S. political assassinations, the Vietnam War, AIDs, etc., from Forrest Gump. However, the key is that it makes most of them want to learn the OTHER truth about all those subjects after watching it.

On the other hand, if they have a woebegone teacher such as I, they can also learn about cinematic history as well as that of other important concepts which will last them the rest of their lives, but Forrest Gump can only be considered something hellacious if you think that it's specifically responsible for the [Current] Downfall of Western Civilization. It's so ancient at this point that I find that difficult to believe. Besides, Forrest Gump probably has more reality in it than most films do because there are just so many films made nowadays which have NO reality whatsoever.

Making a difference
Thumbs up markf. i strongly concur with you. your last statement is absolutely true. and without sounding rude, I feel Hollywood is losing its originality to 3D. i can hardly see a simple movie this days. all most every Hollywod movie in the Nigeria cinema are 3D movies.