The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Two correct guesses in a row! I’m on a roll! Woop woop

I would also have guessed The Hunt for the second one, but it was already guessed by others, so there would be no point.

Unfortunately the hints come at a bad time for me and my time zone, so I often miss them right when they are revealed…

Anyway, I’ve nominated The Hunt before in a Hall of Fame and I’m glad that I perhaps helped spread the word about this great Danish film. I think it’s one of the best from our country and all the Danish A-listers deliver their A-game in this. Of course, I had it at #9.

As for Zero Dark Thirty, I watched it back when it came out and I’m not sure if it was the political aspect or the war aspect, both both are things I have a difficulty with in film. It really depends on how it is used on whether or not I like the film. I remember it to be decent though I wasn’t that big a fan. The last bit with Bin Laden and all was great and intense though. Maybe I would like it more now who knows.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty and not looking forward to watching it anytime soon.

The Hunt is very good but I bet @MovieGal hacked the countdown and tampered with its score to make it place higher.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Hunt is a great mind-bender of a film, that has a certain nordic charm like no other lead with a stellar performance by Mikkelsen. I had originally given this a
+ but with how often I think back to it probably should be a bit higher. I would rewatch it but I remember it so much more vividly than just about anything I had watched in that time period.

Haven't seen Zero Dark Thrity, and didn't realize it was still so popular

Victim of The Night
Wooley wouldn't be happy about that.
If Ready Or Not makes this list above Cabin In The Woods I will lose my freaking mind.

Both exceptionally made films. ZD30 is a really tense look at those infamous moments with Chastain knocking it out of the park, and Mads is amazing in The Hunt. I feel that role really catapulted his career to a new level.

No votes from me.

My review:

The Hunt (2012)
Jagten (original title)

A grade school teacher goes about his life which is improving since his divorce. Then his world is turned upside down by charges against him of sexual abuse. CR

A rather nicely made film about a rather sticky subject...What I appreciated most about this film is the restrained visual style which suits the almost documentary feel of the movie. The cinematography is personal with its use of medium range shots and a hand held camera. This puts us literally in the shoes of a falsely accused child molester.

Keeping with the realistic feeling of the film the movie's structure is in present tense and the story takes place chronologically as a rather innocent event turns into something ugly for the school teacher. The absence of multiple time frames and flash backs makes The Hunt all the more potent as it's happening now....so we feel like Lucas (Mads Mikkelsen) does.

Take a look at the photo I used above. That screen shot from the movie speaks volumes. It relays a feeling of peace and tranquility with the early morning sun shine back lighting the actors giving them a warm, halo rim light. That photo sets up an idyllic moment that once was...but is then ripped away as all hell breaks loose.

My hat is off to the actors who all beautifully manage to play their characters in a subdued and therefore believable way. Which then dove tails perfectly with the realistic style of film making.

The Hunt explores a modern day witch hunt set in the innocents of Kindergarten. It's a powerful story, sadly it's happened many times over the course of human history that an unfounded accusation is taken as gospel, amplified and fed with the frighting power of self righteousness. Ignorance and hysteria go together like peanut butter and jelly, only as the film shows us those negative human traits leave a bitter taste in one's mouth.

Victim of The Night
Zero Dark Thirty was my No.25 but actually would have gotten bumped if I had remembered three other films that should have made my list (I did actually do my homework but somehow still missed three films since I don't keep lists of what I watch).
I thought it was a far better film than I expected and Chastain really solidified her place here before acting circles around Tom Hiddleston in her attempt to save Del Toro's Crimson Peak.

A system of cells interlinked
Of the last 4 that were posted, I have seen 3/4, and one of them placed on my ballot.

Zero Dark Thirty was my #24, just making my list. I wanted to include it because it contains some excellent performances as well as some sobering scenes pertaining to Gitmo, and the final 20 minutes are quite intense as Seal Team 6 moves in.

I like Kate Bigelow's directorial style, and she manages to keep this nice and restrained in comparison to some of the other political/war pictures of the decade. I like some of those too, but this is probably my favorite of the bunch.

With Joker, I agree that it is a good film that contains a great performance, but I didn't find it overly entertaining, and I doubt I will ever watch it again.

Inside Out is fantastic stuff, but i seem to be the only one in my family that really likes it. My daughter is too young to relate, and my wife just doesn't vibe with this as much as other Pixar stuff. I really like it, though.

I've not seen The Hunt.

29/44 Seen

The truth is in here
The Hunt is one of those movies that is so hard to sit through you will squirm in your seat throughout. Yet you can't stop watching since the story is so enthralling and you really want to see Lucas make it through this mess somehow. Every performance is great, but Mads Mikkelsen's in particular. He flawlessly depicts the anxious uncertainty, which can range from temporary hope to the feeling that all is lost. The scenario of getting falsely accused of one of the most heinous crimes on earth is about the most terrifying thing that can ever happen.
One of the most angerinducing scenes in the film is Klara being coerced into exaggerating her story even though she's trying to walk back on the lie she just started. The leading questions are downright unprofessional. Lucas almost could have still been safe if not for that happening.

WARNING: spoilers below
The ending, where Lucas gets hit by an unknown shooter despite finally being cleared officially brings us back to that haunting uncertainty, making us wonder if his life will ever be the same again.

First top 10 pick from my list.

Jagten/The Hunt was #62 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Films while Zero Dark Thirty was #10 on the Directed by Women list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I haven't seen the film, so it's harder to think of good hints for films I haven't seen.
That's it then, Yoda is giving you a paycut and docking your vacation time AND requiring mandatory OT.

Zero Dark Thirty is great stuff. Kathryn Bigelow is one of the best directors who isn't a household name. I love the one two punch of ZDT following up The Hurt Locker as a pair of post 9/11 set films diving into that world. It did not make my list however, as generally I'm not hit on an emotional level with heavy procedural based movies, but I admire the Hell out of them when done well as ZDT is.

The Hunt was my #4 and as much as I can appreciate the false accusation aspect of it, the thing that resonated with me is the sheep and cattle mentality of a community jumping to conclusions and people being afraid to do the right thing. A great and dark exploration of a character who loses his career and much more with a difficult subject matter on multiple levels. Of course it only works with great performances and Mads Mikkelsen gives the performance of a lifetime. Smart writing and the term "brave" gets thrown around quite a bit for films that I generally think don't qualify, but The Hunt is a rare breed.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I don't really have much to say about Joker or Inside Out. I've seen both, and they were both perfectly fine for what they were. I had been somewhat surprised at how much I liked Joker though, since Todd Phillips' comments online really turned me off him and Joker before I saw it. Zero Dark Thirty is another film I saw and thought was pretty good at the time, but it didn't really leave much of an impression. Years later, I'm now struggling to remember the details as only a few key scenes stick out in my mind.

I'm just going to steal a paragraph I wrote about The Hunt when it was nominated in the 13th Hall of Fame, since I probably wouldn't be able to word the sentiment much differently anyway:

The Hunt feels very grounded in reality, whether we want to admit that or not. It's shot in a manner which emphasizes the characters' reactions and the emotions of the scene, forgoing fancy camera set-ups or unique visual designs for a more intimate connection between the viewer and the events depicted on screen. I think it works very well, as it easily engaged me and created a lot of sympathy for Lucas and his ordeal. While it is unpleasant to watch at times, it's still a very engrossing film. It's probably not something I'd revisit any time soon, but I'm glad I got the chance to experience it anyway.

It was very high on my list at #6, and is proof that I do have some dramas on there haha.

Seen: 31/44

My List: 7
03. The Raid (2011) - #100
06. The Hunt (2012) - #57
09. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #68
10. The Raid 2 (2014) - #75
14. The Martian (2015) - #82
15. Hereditary (2018) - #96
20. Cabin in the Woods (2011) -#88

I thought that Zero Dark Thirty was good when I watched it ages ago but I’m not sure what I would think now. I hated The Hurt Locker which I watched recently.

Hated The Hunt, largely down to the way it’s shot and edited, not my type of film.

36/44 seen.

Oh and real quick, one other thing worth noting about The Hunt is the boldness of showing a good man in the career of early education, which is dominated by about 90 percent women. Even men in all levels of education, minus University, is a rare thing today. For awhile in the 1980s to early 2000s it was balancing out at the high school level, but has since reverted.

Oh and real quick, one other thing worth noting about The Hunt is the boldness of showing a good man in the career of early education, which is dominated by about 90 percent women.
That was also part of the problem though. Because it's easy to accuse a man of misconduct in situations like the one presented in the film, and kind of shows us why there is a disproportionate amount of women involved in childcare compared to men.

(Yes I copied some of this response from my own HoF review of The Hunt lol. I'm really tired today)

That was also part of the problem though. Because it's easy to accuse a man of misconduct in situations like the one presented in the film, and kind of shows us why there is a disproportionate amount of women involved in childcare compared to men.

(Yes I copied some of this response from my own HoF review of The Hunt lol. I'm really tired today)
Exactly, and all the more kudos to the film director going that route. It's how I feel about Kramer vs Kramer in taking the chance and having the boldness to tell stories of real things that happen which buck the trends.

These are two films I've seen a while ago (10 and 8 years ago each), that I remember liking or loving, but not thinking much of them afterwards. I've been meaning to rewatch both, though. I remember more about Zero Dark Thirty, mostly because it was more on cable, but I remember The Hunt having more of an impact, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, here's something I wrote back in 2013, when I saw ZDT...

The film manages to convey the urge from all sides regarding the objective, and one can feel the obsession in Maya's character, much like in Gyllenhaal's character in Zodiac. But I think that the almost clinical approach to the film hinders its effectiveness in the end.
And about The Hunt...

It's the kind of film that really riles you up. 30 minutes in and I was already pissed at some of the characters. The sad thing is that many people behave like the characters in the film, which results in many lives ruined unnecessarily.
Obviously none of them made my list.

So, here's where I'm at...

Seen: 35/44

My ballot:  

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
• #58. Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - because of its numerous nominations, I've got it on the net back then but after 15-20 minutes, I've told myself what's the meaning watching cartel-movies like this and stopped it.
---

• #57. Jagten [The Hunt] (2012) - wow, I thought this is on my ballot, now I see that I've cut it in the last minute finally put it at #30 on my extended list.
It was a pain watching this film seeing how the crowd can put to torture people just like that.
- (87/100)

---

Top 100 seen 19/44.
(#441-458 • seen 2/18
one pointers • seen 4/35)

--
My list:
9. Albert Nobbs (2011) [#453.]
14. Ida (2013) [#71.]
25. Ága (2018) [one-pointer]

==============================
(my extended top 60)