Vegetarian or Non vegetarian?

Tools    

I'm actually mad at vegetarians.
First of all,meat is a human need.Only meat has this vitamin B12.Yeah,you might say that some vegetarian food has it as well but it's not as good as in meat.Vegetarianism is very bad for children because growing body needs proteins(best source of it is meat) and it's so awful when vegetarian(or worse,vegan) parents prohibit their children to eat meat.Heard one story about a boy whose parents didn't let him eat meat,so he secretly used to eat it at school. :/
Some people became vegetarians because they are sorry for the animals.I love animals,too but let's face it - cows,pigs,chicken live to be killed.If everyone would become vegans,where would these animals go since farmers won't have use to keep them?They won't survive in the nature because long long time ago people domested them and now they can't protect themselves.
Finally,I think that vegetarianism is kinda unfair.We live in the 21st century and we are so spoiled that we don't know how to vary our lives.Kids in Africa would do anything to have a steak and we while having an opportunity to eat well,don't use it and feed ourselves with grass.People have teeth which are suited for vegetables,fruits and meat.So we should just be glad that we can eat various food.
Also remember that the first people thousands of years ago wouldn't have survived if they hadn't eaten meat.
I'm sure that if I would have told my parents that I want to be a vegetarian,they would have thrown me out their house.

Well, geez, I'm not mad at them unless they try to, ya' know, stop me from eating meat.

Anyway, the timing of this thread is fantastic, because for dinner tonight we're literally having grilled chicken wrapped in bacon. If that answers your question.

Only meat has this vitamin B12.Yeah,you might say that some vegetarian food has it as well but it's not as good as in meat.Vegetarianism is very bad for children because growing body needs proteins(best source of it is meat)

Where is your evidence to support these claims?

Some people became vegetarians because they are sorry for the animals.I love animals,too but let's face it - cows,pigs,chicken live to be killed.If everyone would become vegans,where would these animals go since farmers won't have use to keep them?They won't survive in the nature because long long time ago people domested them and now they can't protect themselves.
Try telling that to communities that are overrun with feral chickens and hogs.

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/a...wildboar.shtml

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/04/14/f...n-the-rampage/

Finally,I think that vegetarianism is kinda unfair.We live in the 21st century and we are so spoiled that we don't know how to vary our lives.Kids in Africa would do anything to have a steak and we while having an opportunity to eat well,don't use it and feed ourselves with grass.

This is a logical fallacy. What kids in Africa would "do anything for" has no relevance to whether or not people in more affluent nations choose to eat meat. Also, people don't feed themselves with grass.

I eat meat, though if you have balance diet and you eat your good fats, protein, good carbs, vegs. You can be good vego. Some vegetation's are amenic.

Semper Fooey

I know she is pregnant, so I probably shouldn't say it...but I will! She is very heavy.

Where is your evidence to support these claims?
"While lacto-ovo vegetarians usually get enough B12 through consuming dairy products, vegans will lack B12 unless they consume B12-containing dietary supplements or B12-fortified foods."
"According to the UK Vegan Society, the present consensus is that any B12 present in plant foods is likely to be unavailable to humans because B12 analogues can compete with B12 and inhibit metabolism." - Both from wiki.

Try telling that to communities that are overrun with feral chickens and hogs.
but many domested animals can't protect themselves.My point is that for meat or not,these animals would die anyway.Unless someone decides to take care of them,but that definitely wouldn't happen.
What kids in Africa would "do anything for" has no relevance to whether or not people in more affluent nations choose to eat meat.
I'm just saying that we should be glad that we have opportunity to have meat.I can justify vegetarianism if a person just don't like meat.And it's not that I hate or can't tolerate vegetarians - they just seem spoiled for me.

"While lacto-ovo vegetarians usually get enough B12 through consuming dairy products, vegans will lack B12 unless they consume B12-containing dietary supplements or B12-fortified foods."
"According to the UK Vegan Society, the present consensus is that any B12 present in plant foods is likely to be unavailable to humans because B12 analogues can compete with B12 and inhibit metabolism." - Both from wiki.
If by "wiki" you mean wikipedia, that is not a credible source.

but many domested animals can't protect themselves.My point is that for meat or not,these animals would die anyway.Unless someone decides to take care of them,but that definitely wouldn't happen.
You mentioned pigs and chickens specifically. So did I. You stated that food animals can't survive on their own and you were wrong. Miami is so overrun with feral chickens that they've got a special volunteer force of policemen and firefighters, known as "The Chicken Busters", to catch them in an attempt to control the population. Even so, it's a losing battle because the chickens are not only thriving, they're multiplying.

I'm just saying that we should be glad that we have opportunity to have meat.I can justify vegetarianism if a person just don't like meat.And it's not that I hate or can't tolerate vegetarians - they just seem spoiled for me.
Vegetarians are spoiled? I don't follow.

You also said that you're "mad at vegetarians" yet give no real reason for it. You mention a story about a boy who sneaks meat at school because he's not allowed to eat it at home. Are you saying you're mad at his parents for not letting him eat meat? I've heard stories of Jewish children secretly eating pork while at school or with friends. Are Jewish people "spoiled" for not eating the meat of pigs when they have the opportunity to do so? Are Jewish parents depriving their children by forbidding them to eat pork? Unless actual proof can be found that any of these choices are causing malnourishment of the children in question, there is nothing to be "mad" about. What people eat or don't eat is a personal choice. Unless it's directly affecting you, why does it matter?

To be fair, Wikipedia isn't really the source in this case; it's the source of the source. Even that quote mentions the UK Vegan Society, for example. It appears to have come from this page.

Also, I think the "spoiled" thing refers to the fact that it's only our considerable wealth that sometimes makes the vegan lifestyle plausible, and that lots of people have to eat whatever they can get. Again, not that I'm agreeing with the sentiment, but I'm pretty sure that's the idea behind it.

The only real opinion I have about any of this is that, in a less developed society, it's probably pretty impractical to be a vegan, because you probably don't have access to a lot of protein from non-meat sources. But we're lucky enough to live in places wealthy enough that such alternatives are available, for those who want them.

Also, I think the "spoiled" thing refers to the fact that it's only our considerable wealth that sometimes makes the vegan lifestyle plausible, and that lots of people have to eat whatever they can get. Again, not that I'm agreeing with the sentiment, but I'm pretty sure that's the idea behind it.
On the other hand, it's our considerable wealth that allows us to make the personal choice to eat things like steak and bacon, too. So what?

Should we glut ourselves on any and all available foods just so that we can say we've taken advantage of our opportunities? (As if U.S. obesity rates aren't high enough). The argument still makes no sense to me.

(Not that any of the above statements are actually directed at you, Yoda.)

Ok weather it is from Wiki or not I have not eaten meat since I was 15 I have never liked meat, but, my mother made me eat a little as a child I left home at 15 and then made up my own mind about what I could eat I have suffered with anemia for many years requiring Blood transfusions, inj and tablets I had a severe B12 deficiency for which I had inj for 2yrs to cure I still don't eat meat but am more conscious of what I eat as to remain healthy and touch wood haven't had any problems for quite a few years

not that I hate or can't tolerate vegetarians - they just seem spoiled for me.
Spoilt!!!

You stated that food animals can't survive on their own and you were wrong.
yes,but there's world outside America too where food animals don't attack people and are dependent on them.And if you think that all food animals can survive in the nature,some of them definitely would come back to farms and steal food from them.This would cause a huge commotion.So I don't think that it's a good idea for human to become vegans.
Are you saying you're mad at his parents for not letting him eat meat?
yes,I am.You think it is normal to hide from your parents what you eat?
Unless actual proof can be found that any of these choices are causing malnourishment of the children in question, there is nothing to be "mad" about.
"The fact that vegans tend to have lower B12 levels than lacto-ovo vegetarians or non-vegetarians is often countered with, "Few vegans have ever shown signs of B12 deficiency." However, most vegans appear to supplement their diet with B12 (often unknowingly through fortified foods) and there have been plenty of vegans who have suffered from B12 deficiency documented in the scientific literature. In some cases, the symptoms have cleared up after taking B12 supplements, but not everyone has been so lucky" - http://veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

Also this - http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/...ldren_1_736972
Unless it's directly affecting you, why does it matter?
well let's just say that I care not only about myself and it looks sad when these children are hiding from their parents what they eat.
yes,this is pretty much what I meant.

Should we glut ourselves on any and all available foods just so that we can say we've taken advantage of our opportunities? (As if U.S. obesity rates aren't high enough)
We should eat what our bodies need.Nature created us omnivorous,so should we go against it?Oh,and meat and obesity has nothing in common.
Spoilt!!!
oh,sorry,my bad! :/

I could be a vegetarian, but I think veganism is silly....milk doesn't harm the cow, and even though some might not do it to "protect animals", I'm not giving up something simply because it has eggs in it: cake, etc

I am aware that veganism is probably not a a word haha

yes,but there's world outside America too where food animals don't attack people and are dependent on them.And if you think that all food animals can survive in the nature,some of them definitely would come back to farms and steal food from them.This would cause a huge commotion.So I don't think that it's a good idea for human to become vegans.
Who said anything about attacking people or that all food animals can survive on their own? You said they can't, I provided evidence that - at least in the case of pigs and chickens - they can and do and they've become a problem in many countries. In fact, there are very few domestic animals that are unable to survive without humans. Actually the only one that comes to mind is the domestic turkey, or at least the kind raised in commercial farms, and that's only because their bodies have been bred to be so disproportionate from their natural state that they've become unable to breed naturally and require artificial insemination.

yes,I am.You think it is normal to hide from your parents what you eat?
Do I think it's normal for a child to lie and break their parents' rules? Absolutely. I certainly did it and I wasn't raised vegetarian. Are you telling me you were a perfect child and never sneaked a piece of candy or something else you weren't supposed to have? How about throwing away or giving away something from your lunch that you didn't want? Kids do those sorts of things all the time.

"The fact that vegans tend to have lower B12 levels than lacto-ovo vegetarians or non-vegetarians is often countered with, "Few vegans have ever shown signs of B12 deficiency." However, most vegans appear to supplement their diet with B12 (often unknowingly through fortified foods) and there have been plenty of vegans who have suffered from B12 deficiency documented in the scientific literature. In some cases, the symptoms have cleared up after taking B12 supplements, but not everyone has been so lucky" - http://veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12
Yes, it's possible for people to suffer deficiencies from a vegan or vegetarian diet if done incorrectly (which is why in my previous post in this thread, I stated that if someone is considering adopting a veg lifestyle, they should consult a dietician/nutritionist first so that they aren't making harmful mistakes. The same is true for any parents considering feeding their children a veg diet). It's possible for people to suffer deficiencies on ANY kind of diet if they're not properly balancing what they're eating/supplementing. However, I feel it's wrong to make a blanket statement that vegan/vegetarian parents are harming their children. Such matters should be examined on a case by case basis.

We should eat what our bodies need.Nature created us omnivorous,so should we go against it? Oh,and meat and obesity has nothing in common.
My point was that just because all these foods are available to us doesn't mean we need to eat them. And one person having the opportunity to eat meat and choosing not to does not make them any more spoiled than a person who has the same opportunity and chooses to eat meat. As to the obesity comment, my point was that we shouldn't eat a food just because we can. That kind of mentality is a huge contributor to the obesity epidemic. People need to make more conscious decisions about what and how much food they put in their bodies.

Do I think it's normal for a child to lie and break their parents' rules? Absolutely. I certainly did it and I wasn't raised vegetarian. Are you telling me you were a perfect child and never sneaked a piece of candy or something else you weren't supposed to have? How about throwing away or giving away something from your lunch that you didn't want? Kids do those sorts of things all the time.
This is different.Kids secretly eat candies because they're tasty,it's like forbidden fruit.Kids secretly eat meat because either their bodies require it or they want to be like other children and eat the same food as everyone else.
However, I feel it's wrong to make a blanket statement that vegan/vegetarian parents are harming their children.
it looks bad for me when child has to eat supplements,because he can't get all the needed vitamins from his food.It's better when all the needed things are gotten from the food.
My point was that just because all these foods are available to us doesn't mean we need to eat them.
and my point was that just because all these food are available to us we shouldn't make our lives harder by restricting ourselves and eating extra 'medicine' when we can be healthy without it.
About animals - my point was that there wouldn't be no use if they were let go(if all people would go vegan).Half of them would die as I still can't understand how would they survive along with wolves,bear,foxes and other same type animals.And another half would attack farms and people.

As to the obesity comment, my point was that we shouldn't eat a food just because we can. That kind of mentality is a huge contributor to the obesity epidemic.
Eating everything is good,but people should do it moderately.The biggest problem is that people tend to eat too much.

My point was that just because all these foods are available to us doesn't mean we need to eat them. And one person having the opportunity to eat meat and choosing not to does not make them any more spoiled than a person who has the same opportunity and chooses to eat meat. As to the obesity comment, my point was that we shouldn't eat a food just because we can. That kind of mentality is a huge contributor to the obesity epidemic. People need to make more conscious decisions about what and how much food they put in their bodies.
This is completely mutually exclusive from the topic. But if you really want to bang that pole then fine, just because there's plants doesn't mean we need to eat those either.

This is different.Kids secretly eat candies because they're tasty,it's like forbidden fruit.Kids secretly eat meat because either their bodies require it or they want to be like other children and eat the same food as everyone else.
Meat is pretty darn tasty, too and I would imagine would have the same "forbidden fruit" quality to it for a child raised in a vegetarian household. Just like I'm sure eating certain kinds of meat or other foods that are prohibited by religious doctrine would have that quality or have the appeal of "eating the same food as everyone else." Again, this doesn't mean that the child is suffering harm because of the dietary restrictions their parents place on them.

And speaking from my own experiences going to school (and also working for the school district for a time afterward), "eating the same foods as everybody else" meant drinking enormous amounts of sugary, caffeinated soda, and eating things like Taco Bell, Chick-Fil-A and pizza - all of which were sold on campus. I'd rather see a child eating a vegetarian diet and the right supplements than eating a diet like my peers did.

and my point was that just because all these food are available to us we shouldn't make our lives harder by restricting ourselves and eating extra 'medicine' when we can be healthy without it.
I hardly see swallowing a pill every day as causing someone's life to be 'harder.' In any case, people should be restricting themselves and "making their lives harder" when it comes to their diet. People should be making their lives harder by cooking their own food from fresh sources instead of buying from fast food places or purchasing pre-packaged foods from the store. People should be eating leaner protein sources, fewer carbohydrates, less processed foods, less sodium, less fat, and more fiber. But they often don't. Why? Because it's easier not to. People taking the easy way out is the reason why, in the 2.7 miles it took me to get from my home to the bowling alley this morning, I passed directly by or very near to at least 15 different fast food restaurants, diners, and pizzarias (and I do not live in a big city).

I'm not saying people should be vegetarian. I'm not a vegetarian. Things like steak, hamburgers, and bacon are among my favorite foods. But it really irks me when people on either side of the issue try to say that everybody should make the same choice as them. If eating meat is the right choice for you, great. Keep eating meat. But that doesn't make it the right choice for everybody else.

Again, this doesn't mean that the child is suffering harm because of the dietary restrictions their parents place on them.
still,kids shouldn't hide what they eat from their parents.It often happens,so we think that it's normal,but it isn't.
And speaking from my own experiences going to school (and also working for the school district for a time afterward), "eating the same foods as everybody else" meant drinking enormous amounts of sugary, caffeinated soda, and eating things like Taco Bell, Chick-Fil-A and pizza - all of which were sold on campus. I'd rather see a child eating a vegetarian diet and the right supplements than eating a diet like my peers did.
not sure where do you live,but in our canteen all you can find are rolls,some dietary bars,steaks,pancakes,chicken,fish,tea,and some sweets(not sure how to call them).So it would be very hard for a vegetarian to eat well in my canteen,because all the normal food (excluding rolls and various snacks) contains meat.
In any case, people should be restricting themselves and "making their lives harder" when it comes to their diet.
it shouldn't be a restriction,this should become a normal lifestyle.