The MoFo Top 100 of the Seventies

→ in
Tools    

I did a lot of catch up, but I'd like some recommendations if someone as the time.

(I was also wondering if Amarcord is a good beggining to Fellini's filmography)
Of the Fellini films I've seen, I'd say La Strada is his most accessible and the best one to start with. Although Amarcord is a better beginning than, say, 8 1/2.

I did a lot of catch up, but I'd like some recommendations if someone as the time.
Going through a few of your lists:

Don't Look Now, Get Carter, The Day of the Jackal, Walkabout, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Dawn Of The Dead, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (but watch the original, too, as it's better IMO), The Andromeda Strain, Black Christmas, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (I hate it, but it's a horror touchstone), Suspiria, Deep Red, Don't Look Now, Five Easy Pieces, The Marriage of Maria Braun (Doesn't do much for me, but mark loves it), Picnic At Hanging Rock,

Now some HK choices. I don't know if you've seen them or not, but have at it.
Alice, Sweet Alice, Enter The Dragon, The Warriors, Death Race 2000, The Taking Of Pelham One, Two, Three, Rollerball, Coffy, Logan's Run, The Vanishing.

Unregistered User
For those with Sky TV, Three days of the Condor is showing next Thursday at 8am on movies. I havnt watched it yet but im all set to record.

My 70's to see list is at about 90 but I only think I can watch 55-60. Are any of these a waste of time?

Play Misty for Me
The Outlaw Jose Wales
Carnal Knowledge*
What's Up, Doc?
The Tenant
The Passenger*
The King of Marvin Gardens
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Lenny
Hearts and Minds
Silver Streak
The Heartbreak Kid
The Black Stallion
Fiddler on the Roof
The Go-Between*
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Railway Children
Amarcord
Monte Walsh
Ulzana's Raid
Solaris
The Man who Fell to Earth
THX 1138
Fantastic Planet (Planete sauvage La)
Time After Time
Slaughterhouse Five
The Working Class Goes to Heaven
The Mattei Affair
The Hireling
Chronicle of the Years of Fire
Padre Padrone
The Tree of Wooden Clogs
The Tin Drum
The American Friend
The Castle of Sand
Day for Night
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
Gates of Heaven
Heart of Glass
Killer of Sheep
The Marriage of Maria Braun
Mon Oncle Antoine*
Spirit of the Beehive
Stroszek
WR-Mysteries if the Organism
California Split
The Boys in the Band
Scenes from a Marriage

Bound for Glory
The Hospital*
The Last Wave
Seven Beauties
Macbeth*
The Man Who Would be King
A Touch of Class
The Garden of Finzi Continis
Klute
The Candidate
The Ruling Class
Julia
The Offence
Westworld
Sleuth
Jeremiah Johnson
Play it Again Sam
Save the Tiger
A Bridge too Far
Tommy
Tristana
Celine and Julie go Boating
Murmur of the Heart
That Obscure Object of Desire
Two English Girls
Cria cuervos
Three Days of the Condor
The Buddy Holly Story
Caligula
Catch-22
Wise Blood
Tourist Trap
The Boys from Brazil
Logan's Run
The Front
Kellys Heroes
Boxcar Bertha
Family Plot
Breezy
Over the Edge
The Gambler
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

I don't know if others are a waste of time, but if I were you I'd make a priority to watch: Jeremiah Johnson, That Obscure Object of Desire and The Outlaw Josey Wales

Unregistered User
Out of those that i have seen, i think you would enjoy The Tenant, King of marvin Gardens, Solaris and The Tin Drum. I liked Spirit of the Beehive but im not sure you would like it as much as most others on that list. Plenty there that i have on my watchlist that i wont get through too.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im glad to be back to join in on this

What does an asterix signify, Cricket?

From that list, going for a combination of my personal taste plus the base of film knowledge I think just everybody should have, I would prioritize these...

Amarcord
Bound for Glory
The Candidate
Catch-22
Day for Night
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
The Front
The Garden of Finzi-Continis
The Go-Between
The Hospital
Jeremiah Johnson
Killer of Sheep
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Lenny
Macbeth
The Man Who Would be King
The Marriage of Maria Braun
Murmur of the Heart
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Passenger
Play Misty for Me
The Ruling Class
Scenes from a Marriage
Solaris
Spirit of the Beehive
Stroszek
That Obscure Object of Desire
Three Days of the Condor
The Tin Drum
What's Up, Doc?

But whichever ones you wind up watching, I appreciate and respect your ambition to watch more than fifty in the remaining weeks. Rock on!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	truffaut for night.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	15524  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For those with Sky TV, Three days of the Condor is showing next Thursday at 8am on movies. I havnt watched it yet but im all set to record.
And also for those in the UK (I'm not sure about Ireland?), Mean Streets is available to watch on BBC iPlayer HERE.

But it only has 2 days left, so be quick if you haven't seen it already.

I've watched exactly 81 movies for this list so far, and I'm no spring chicken, so add that to what I've seen, and what I still need to see, and the amount of quality 70's movies is staggering.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Well I wouldn't say I genuinely like all of the movies that will be on it, but those that I don't really like I do at least have respect for.
See that's why I think there's a good chance that I won't actually be submitting a 70s list. I want to absolutely love all the films on my list like I did with the 80s, 90s and 00s. For them I was able to get pretty much all 25 from my top 100 and would personally rate all of them at at least
. And right now that's not the case for the 70s. I had a big list of 70s films to watch and got to some of them but many weren't doing it for me and then I've just not really been in the mood for many of them considering the amount of 'serious' films that were about during the decade. And I've not really been watching many serious films recently.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I've watched exactly 81 movies for this list so far, and I'm no spring chicken, so add that to what I've seen, and what I still need to see, and the amount of quality 70's movies is staggering.
You have put in the work brother.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had a big list of 70s films to watch and got to some of them but many weren't doing it for me and then I've just not really been in the mood for many of them considering the amount of 'serious' films that were about during the decade. And I've not really been watching many serious films recently.
Have you watched:

Foul Play
Silver Streak
What's Up, Doc?
Love and Death
Black Sunday
Play It Again, Sam
The Bad News Bears
Smile
My Name is Nobody
Posse
The Ballad of Cable Hogue
Papillon
The Three Musketeers
The Four Musketeers
Slap Shot
Charley Varrick
Time After Time
Marathon Man
The Goodbye Girl
The Sunshine Boys
Animal House
The Sting
American Graffiti
Harold and Maude
The Omen
Dirty Harry
The Longest Yard
Breaking Away
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
The Buddy Holly Story
Three Days of the Condor
The Man Who Would Be King
The Great Train Robbery
Capricorn One
Little Big Man
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Westworld
Heaven Can Wait
Coma
Sleuth
The Mechanic
Family Plot

I know you've seen some of them, but these are only a sample of the really good, fun movies of the decade.

See that's why I think there's a good chance that I won't actually be submitting a 70s list. I want to absolutely love all the films on my list like I did with the 80s, 90s and 00s. For them I was able to get pretty much all 25 from my top 100 and would personally rate all of them at at least
. And right now that's not the case for the 70s. I had a big list of 70s films to watch and got to some of them but many weren't doing it for me and then I've just not really been in the mood for many of them considering the amount of 'serious' films that were about during the decade. And I've not really been watching many serious films recently.
There are many great non-serious films from the 1970's. Two great relatively obscure (here) would be The Castle of Cagliostro and Hausu, fun all the way.

Way of the Dragon is also pure fun: