Unitarian Universalist
22.83%
29 votes
Other
40.94%
52 votes
None
127 votes. You may not vote on this poll

You can interpret quantum mechanics to be deterministic if you really want to like Bohm did. The fact that you interpret something as being non-deterministic doesn't really say anything about being. It just means you've stopped trying to dig deeper into the underlying mechanisms or your entire conceptual apparatus has failed.

We assume slot machines to be nondeterministic, even though their parts are all very far past the classical threshold in which we are most familiar. We assume this, because it's as good as nondeterministic according to our standards and tolerances -- even if the house always wins.

But again, all this talk of 'particles' and 'molecules' really has nothing to do with free will anyway. Free will is the act of self-determination. It needs self-consciousness, desire, and commitment, all of which are objects in their own right.

We assume slot machines to be nondeterministic, even though their parts are all very far past the classical threshold in which we are most familiar. We assume this, because it's as good as nondeterministic according to our standards and tolerances -- even if the house always wins.
A politician In Australia wanted to regulate pokies (slot machines) though, the clubs and the Prime Minister couldn't bare the cost lol! Though, they do help and hinder people. For example...clubs do a lot for sporting clubs, though if the Father or Mother are degelient gamblers, well, they're f*****!

You don't see it in an article that is titled The Physics of Free Will and says in its opening paragraph that previous analysis it doesn't exist is flawed and show according to the author how it happens. Well, that is your right.
C'mon. Your argument is based on the title, and not anything it actually says? If you read a little more of it it becomes obvious that it's a fine title, anyway, because they describe the challenges that physics pose for the idea of free will, and they talk about what conceptions of free will (because as you said before, it can mean a few different things) are consistent with physics.

But it simply does not back up what you're saying. If you think it does, show me where. I see it saying the opposite of what you're saying more than once, and I quoted it to that effect a couple of posts back.

Molecules are building blocks. They made us. At some point we stop being just molecules. Molecules that create a breathing being with an advanced brain has created something far more sophisticated than grass and rocks. The human brain is too complex to merely be instincts and urges. That implies free will.
Why does it imply free will? Why can't it be complex instincts, or complex urges? Love seems an awful lot like a complex version of lust, for example. Conscience seems like a complex version of group survival. Obviously, I happen to think both mean a lot more, but I don't see why a materialist would regard these things as anything more than high-level instincts.

To assume that because scientific observation cannot identify free will in molecules, then if free will exists it is supernatural based, then why isn't the opposite also true? If free will is supernatural, then why isn't all existence supernatural? Why does the law of physics exist at all for anything? It would be so much easier for a supernatural being to create a universe through magic than scientific principal. And if this being could pick and choose, why did it use scientific principal for everything except free will? isn't it more logical to believe free will would have come out of the same scientific process?
Simple: we know the law of physics exists because we can observe them acting upon things consistently and predictably.

I don't really need to provide the "why" because I'm not pretending to have it; I only say that we can observe certain physical laws, and we can deduce what idea are and are not consistent with those laws. But I'll take a guess anyway: the Universe would be pretty chaotic without reliable rules, and human beings wouldn't seem to serve a lot of purposes if they had no choice about what they said or did. Thus, we get lots of physical laws, but minds that can make independent choices. Any other combination looks pretty pointless.

Yeah, well, that is the theory and it makes no sense to me. And I am not arguing the brain is magical. That is what you keep saying. The thinking process changes the equation of how casualty operates for matter. If you are talking and walking and breathing, that is a whole lot different than an inanimate object. It is irrational, not more logical, to believe the thinking process does not create independent decision making to some degree. And interacting with the environment influences the choices. If Mozart was alive today instead of a few centuries back it is doubtful he would have composed The Magic Flute.
Correct, he would've done something else because he'd be reacting to completely different forces. He'd also be a different person to begin with. So I'm not sure I see your point.

Re: the brain being magical. The thing is, that is what you're saying, even if you're not saying it. You're saying that something about the brain means it doesn't have to react the way other types of matter do. I see only two ways this could be true: either the "stuff" is different (and on a subatomic level, it isn't), or there's a way to arrange matter that suddenly makes it immune from causality. Can you think of any other conceptual way? If not, do you believe that second one? That you can put subatomic particles into a certain structure that renders it immune to causality? I see no other option, even on a broad conceptual level, but feel free to enlighten me.

If you want to check your brain at the door, yeah, you can say it makes perfect sense to say our brains are not capable of independent thought. But the nature of a complex brain by itself would say otherwise. How can mere molecules create something so complex as a thinking brain and if it did, how by its very existence could it not be capable of making independent decisions?
But again, how would you know? You talk about the brain as being this mystifying, complicated, incredible thing, which is fine. But then you try to turn around and say that you understand it, and it gives you choice. It can't be an utter enigma when you want to talk about how it's physically constructed, but suddenly open up and become clear when you want to talk about what it can and cannot do. If it's complicated enough to be such a mystery, it's complicated enough that you have no way of knowing how thought is really formed, or what degree of control you have over it.

Also, your entire premise seems to be that free will must exist because you feel like you have it. That is the extent of the "evidence" you provide. Do you realize how much like blind faith that sounds? Lots of people say they believe in God because they "feel" His presence. So how about this: you have as much evidence for your belief as a church lady who believes in God because she says she feels the Holy Spirit.

And if our actions are predetermined, then we are operating on instinct than thought. Because that is what instinct is, something we are destined to do because of the way we are made. If we are going to do something no matter what, then thought is an illusion masking instinct.
If you define instinct that way, then yes, it's instinct. But the reason I disputed the idea is because that type of "instinct" is not some primal, overwhelming urge that overtakes our reason. That's not what determinism says, just to be clear.

The way you describe it is all the same thing because if we immediately react to something and act, which is instinct, or if we think about it for days, we will do the same thing, so thought is irrelevant and no different than instinct.
I think instinct implies an impulsiveness and a different feeling than other types of decisions, but again, sure: if you define instinct merely as something we must do, then it's instinct.

The thought process is different than molecules hitting each other.
Meaning your brain has some law that doesn't apply to it, or doesn't apply to it normally, right?

Has there been any observation of molecules creating advanced life? No.
Okay, but you asked for empirical evidence, and I explained why there's a ton of empirical evidence. It's not just that we haven't seen some magic choice-having subatomic particles, it's that we've specifically seen the same "stuff" reacting every time we do something to it. It all has to react. Even the double-slit experiment was just a particle reacting in a surprising way. We have not found anything in this universe that is indifferent to any force; everything reacts to everything, somehow. It never has the option of just sitting there, as if nothing had happened, yet that's what's necessary, on some level, to create the circumstances necessary for choice.

Fine. But trying to argue if something hasn't been observed, it doesn't happen is pretty unimpressive.
I'd say it's a good deal more impressive than saying that something can exist because we might find some way to explain it someday. But that's not my whole argument, either. This is just the part where I explain why there's no empirical evidence that suggests you should believe in free will. That your entire position is based on a feeling that is heavily contradicted by our observations and what we can currently deduce from them.

I guess I answered this in the previous question.. But if rocks and I are so much alike, let's make them citizens and give them the right to vote.
God knows they'd probably make better decisions.

I'm gonna be selective about what I'm responding to in your posts, PN. Which is probably best, because it seems like most of it is just fleshing out the idea and not even meant to be an argument, necessarily. I'll try to focus on what I think are the pivot points. Here goes.

DUDE, now I know we're singing the same song, because I haven't at all justified WHY THE NAME IS A THING.
Cool. Let's see if you do!

So, what is the supplement? The supplement is WHAT (a Multiple that) DESTROYS THE OBJECT, what reduces it to Multiple.

It is the 'realization' that the name is just a name, to make an analogy with name.
With you so far.

Now, I don't mean it's a bomb or a hammer. I just mean, the supplement is whatever OBJECT(S) make it possible to REALIZE that the object is just it's Multiples. The supplement is that which an Object cannot 'account' for. It is that within the object that the object cannot address in any way. That's why I say supplement lies at the edge of an object.
Still with you. Exciting!

The object itself cannot 'address' the supplement, yet the supplement realizes the object as it is. Can you see yet how this is free will at its finest? There is this STUFF in (or around, or whatever) every object that the object is TOTALLY INDIFFERENT to. Whatever this STUFF is (and it's different for each object), that stuff is the space for its freedom?
Well, that "stuff" is just imperfect pattern recognition, or the limits of categorization itself. The fact that we perceive imperfectly does not create a space for freedom for objects. I don't know why it would imply anything at all, really. That's kind of like saying objects are even freer if we have terrible eyesight, because then we're even worse at describing each one and they could be anything. But at some point you have to posit a reality independent of our perceptions. And our failure to make our thoughts and words correspond to that reality doesn't mean that reality has choice. It just means we're not perfect. Make sense?

Also, it feels like there might be a bait-and-switch (maybe not intentional) wherein you acknowledge the "supplement" is just a name for our categorization of things, but then you talk about the supplement doing things, and segue over into talking about it as if it had agency. I'm not sure how you get from one to the other.

What more do I need to say except that freedom is the freedom of an object to RENAME itself.
This sounds like you're saying that an object exerts "freedom" but defying the category its placed in and refusing to fit comfortably within it. We certainly learn this when we examine objects closely, but that's something we learn, not something the object does. And it's not an expression of freedom, it's just a revelation of our own finite ability to categorize.

Semper Fooey
Takes one to know one.

Re: trolling. In all seriousness, I don't think anyone's doing that. I do think some people are just taking shots at religion and not really trying to have a serious discussion about it, but I don't think it's just for kicks or anything.

At this point, I really feel like we're getting somewhere at this point.

I'm gonna be selective about what I'm responding to in your posts, PN. Which is probably best, because it seems like most of it is just fleshing out the idea and not even meant to be an argument, necessarily. I'll try to focus on what I think are the pivot points. Here goes.
That's totes the right attitude. I think the real 'argument' starts from a different place -- looking at what mathematics has to say about what the One is, so right now it is pretty randumb.

Well, that "stuff" is just imperfect pattern recognition, or the limits of categorization itself.
I'm pumped, because you're definitely close to getting me, but you're still stuck in some older ways of thinking -- namely, the Kantian mode that centers everything on humans. This constant anthrocentrism might also come from your religion.

If I am talking about being, I am talking about each and every One that is, was, or ever could be. I'm talking about us, sure -- since we know most about us -- but I'm also talking about rocks, zebras, and galaxies.

Basically you're stuck in the thought that the human mind is extremely central to being. But categorization is not some primoridial aspect of being. It is just another One. You can have one category, two categories -- heck, you can even have three. It's weird for me to address this sentence, because you're saying something that's totally right, but you mean it in a way that's meant to imply the One is still there.

The fact that our categories are imperfect is just more reason to think the One is not.

Lastly, categories only collect what are already objects. I'm saying that, even when looking at a single object -- any singular object -- you find its breakdown into the Multiple. You don't even have to go up to the level of languages, concepts, or categories.

The fact that we perceive imperfectly does not create a space for freedom for objects.
Sure it does. The fact that we percieve imperfectly already creates a space of freedom for our perception -- the freedom of our perceptions to move about in the rough edges of its imperfection.

We don't need to percieve anything for it be evident that the One is not. Whether we look at something or not, there is no One, only Multiple.

I don't know why it would imply anything at all, really. That's kind of like saying objects are even freer if we have terrible eyesight, because then we're even worse at describing each one and they could be anything.
This doesn't work as an analogy at all, and for a crucial reason.

In this discourse, we have a standard for what is good eyesight. Therefore, it is possible to actually obtain a true vision of the thing in question.

The One is impossible to obtain a vision of, because it is not there. Only the Multiple is. In fact, it is rather that the better our eyesight gets -- i.e. the more rigorously we examine the limits of the object -- the more the object eludes us.

But at some point you have to posit a reality independent of our perceptions. And our failure to make our thoughts and words correspond to that reality doesn't mean that reality has choice. It just means we're not perfect. Make sense?
I posit reality as the thing which has the choice. Our perceptions are just as real as anything they percieve -- and just as imperfect and not-One.

This is not Kantianism, where the thing-in-itself is inaccessible to us through its appearances. There is no thing-in-itself. There are only its Multiple appearances grouped together as One, thus producing the illusion of some hard kernel behind the veil. There is only the veil. There is nothing behind it.

This does not admit to some ignorance, it admits to total empricism as it should be. The true empricist does not posit objects. That's why most scientists cannot be said to be empiricists. The true empiricist has no need for objects. The way Hume is typically taken is as a defeatist who argues "we will never know." But this does not imply that there is something to know.

There is nothing to know but appearances, the Multiple manifestations OF the One ARE all the One is.

Also, it feels like there might be a bait-and-switch (maybe not intentional) wherein you acknowledge the "supplement" is just a name for our categorization of things, but then you talk about the supplement doing things, and segue over into talking about it as if it had agency. I'm not sure how you get from one to the other.
Agency is just a metaphor for process. You see it everywhere. For example, protons HATE to be next to one another. To be clear, the supplement does nothing. Only the object does. The object has the CHOICE to recognize the supplement or not. The object does all the work.

The object is subject to something like cause/effect, yes. But if it is pushed into the realm of the supplement, then it is free to do whatever it likes. Stay within it and bring about a self-transformation or leave and go back to its determinate existence.

This sounds like you're saying that an object exerts "freedom" but defying the category its placed in and refusing to fit comfortably within it. We certainly learn this when we examine objects closely, but that's something we learn, not something the object does. And it's not an expression of freedom, it's just a revelation of our own finite ability to categorize.
We have no idea of what an object does in its spare time, as it were. Our categories aren't the issue here. Our categories is just the language by which we try to communicate with objects. We have no real idea what they're saying.

I'm not even implying they're all doing anything like thinking or speaking or that self-consciousness is what we think of as that. One needn't even go further than to ask how a deaf, dumb, blind person percieves themselves.

The only important thing is that, as an object, you are non-self-identical by definition. You have the possibility of more than what you are inside you at all times.

This goes for us, rocks, and our categories. Philosophy in particular prides itself in the task of freeing categories from themselves.

===

Anyways, we are really getting somewhere, I feel. This post mainly had to do with generalizing the domain of the One to every object that ever was, is, or could be instead of just the objects of our cognition.

Materialism as a term isn't really supposed to be contrasted with religion -- it emerges in opposition to Idealism, that everything is cut out by the mind. This is not what I'm saying. I think Idealism fails on many levels. No, it is just to say that objects find-themselves 'cut out' -- how else can one find itself? -- and that they are free because those cuts are actually parts of themselves.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Ah yes, famed theologian Joe Rogan.

99% of these arguments are going to merit the same response: not everything in the Bible is literal. Some of it is quite obviously not. When the Bible says His Word has "lighted" upon Israel in the Book of Isiah, it doesn't mean he put a giant light in the sky, either.

There are some good questions to ask about how to interpret the Bible, but in my experience almost all of the arguments trying to "disprove" it are really just people going way out of their way to interpret it in whatever way allows them to make it look most ridiculous.

And if it seems like Christians use "it's a metaphor" as a defense a lot, it's because skeptics like to interpret things in staggeringly literal ways in order to attack it a lot.

EDIT: I wanted to add something else. The idea that science has disproved the Bible is almost invariably based on something we didn't know then, that we do know now, which would indicate the Bible was just written by some dudes who were subject to the ignorance of their time. But that's not the case here. You didn't need any modern scientific advancements to know that elephants ate a lot of food, or that you couldn't fit a billion animals on a boat. This is not an example of some ancient story where sheer ignorance made it believable. It was never literally believable, even back then. Which means the people who believed it were not gullible; they either took it as metaphor, or they took it as a miracle.
Actually, the Ancient Alien Theory of Advanced technology being mistaken for magic or miracle makes alot of the bible make sense.

Take the story of Noah for instance, its plausible the cataloguing of every animal was achieved, if rather than the actual beasts loaded aboard a boat which as the retarded child noted, was absurd, what actually happened was the dna samples from each were taken. Something that we do today.

The Virgin Birth is obviously invitro fertilization.

There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare [children] to them, the same [became] mighty men which [were] of old, men of renown. Genesis 6:4
Its my understanding that True Christians believe in their heart that non-human beings exist. They are represented by the Good guys (angels) and bad guys (Demons). They can be omniprescient, or they can occupy a physical body.

My Contention is, the entities mentioned in the bible and thousands of years earlier in other religious texts were extra-terrestrial in nature, but certainly flesh and blood.

As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind.
2 Kings 2:11
Ezekiel 1:4-28

4 Then I looked, and behold, a whirlwind was coming out of the north, a great cloud with raging fire engulfing itself; and brightness was all around it and radiating out of its midst like the color of amber, out of the midst of the fire. 5 Also from within it came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance: they had the likeness of a man. 6 Each one had four faces, and each one had four wings. 7 Their legs were straight, and the soles of their feet were like the soles of calves’ feet. They sparkled like the color of burnished bronze. 8 The hands of a man were under their wings on their four sides; and each of the four had faces and wings. 9 Their wings touched one another. The creatures did not turn when they went, but each one went straight forward.

10 As for the likeness of their faces, each had the face of a man; each of the four had the face of a lion on the right side, each of the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and each of the four had the face of an eagle. 11 Thus were their faces. Their wings stretched upward; two wings of each one touched one another, and two covered their bodies. 12 And each one went straight forward; they went wherever the spirit wanted to go, and they did not turn when they went.

13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, like the appearance of torches going back and forth among the living creatures. The fire was bright, and out of the fire went lightning. 14 And the living creatures ran back and forth, in appearance like a flash of lightning.

15 Now as I looked at the living creatures, behold, a wheel was on the earth beside each living creature with its four faces. 16 The appearance of the wheels and their workings was like the color of beryl, and all four had the same likeness. The appearance of their workings was, as it were, a wheel in the middle of a wheel. 17 When they moved, they went toward any one of four directions; they did not turn aside when they went. 18 As for their rims, they were so high they were awesome; and their rims were full of eyes, all around the four of them. 19 When the living creatures went, the wheels went beside them; and when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up. 20 Wherever the spirit wanted to go, they went, because there the spirit went; and the wheels were lifted together with them, for the spirit of the living creatures[a] was in the wheels. 21 When those went, these went; when those stood, these stood; and when those were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up together with them, for the spirit of the living creatures[b] was in the wheels.

22 The likeness of the firmament above the heads of the living creatures[c] was like the color of an awesome crystal, stretched out over their heads. 23 And under the firmament their wings spread out straight, one toward another. Each one had two which covered one side, and each one had two which covered the other side of the body. 24 When they went, I heard the noise of their wings, like the noise of many waters, like the voice of the Almighty, a tumult like the noise of an army; and when they stood still, they let down their wings. 25 A voice came from above the firmament that was over their heads; whenever they stood, they let down their wings.

26 And above the firmament over their heads was the likeness of a throne, in appearance like a sapphire stone; on the likeness of the throne was a likeness with the appearance of a man high above it. 27 Also from the appearance of His waist and upward I saw, as it were, the color of amber with the appearance of fire all around within it; and from the appearance of His waist and downward I saw, as it were, the appearance of fire with brightness all around. 28 Like the appearance of a rainbow in a cloud on a rainy day, so was the appearance of the brightness all around it. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord.
Personal Jet Packs perhaps?

Note:

So yeah. I'm trying to be as clear as possible here when I say that every object is decomposable, so, for now, I'm talking about individual objects as if they are isolated.

But really, most of the objects we have been talking about -- legos, trees, rocks -- don't really exist in isolation. They are clearly just members or parts of a much larger situation, carefully networked into countless other objects.

Overall, this doesn't really make a difference, since any situation is itself an object. Still, I feel it is important to point out how our world reveals itself IN BULK as it were. We get a whole lot of objects and relations that all seem to come with one another.

Again, this doesn't present any more of a difficulty for the thesis that the One is not anymore than the parts of a car all come with one another when they are presented in the situation of a car.

We can demonstrate the point just as well on levels, but it is important to realize that, for us, the principle object under consideration is the situation-object or world-object. It is an object within which we ourselves are embedded and participate in.

This is perhaps the most important property of existence that 'dethrones' us as trascendent observers/categorizers of the world. You can say the world probably 'categorizes' us as much we 'categorize' it. The same goes for any part of the world.

In the end, we are just one object among others, all embedded in a larger object... and so on...

All objects fail. All objects are free. We are free to determine our own wills and our own perceptions, but the external objects that correspond to those perceptions are also free to determine themselves.

And, of course, as always objects aren't really there, but are just groups of multiples made possible by supplement multiples.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
At this point the atheists are just trolling.
Dude, say something constructive to the thread.

Suspect's Reviews

Dude, say something constructive to the thread.
@TheUsualSuspect, when you say "Dude" is that literal, I woman don't want to classed in either way...I don't think that made sense, anyway! Is Flimmaker1473 is a Man?

It's a Woman with a question-mark...that doesn't sense either...lol! I'm very confused!

Your posts confuse me on a daily basis.