The Happening

→ in
Tools    

this had to be one of the worst movie's i've ever seen! all of the acting was terrible! i was so disappointed in Mark Wahlberg! i mean, i haven't like most of m night's movies, but this one definitely bit the dust for me! i was pretty frustrated throughout the entire movie, and was tempted to get up and leave. but the thought that it could possibly get better kept me in my seat. unfortunately for me, it did not. this movie for me would have been better if i had seen it 2 years from now on VHS....or laser disc.

Abysmal. I was laughing at some of the death scenes. Although there were a couple scenes that i thought were done nicely. I was hoping for a good movie, i loved signs, 6th sense, unbreakable. This was just terrible acting. Mark Wahlberg isn't a bad actor, just the character he was made to play was bad. And Zooey was annoying. Worth a rent maybe.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
The trailers that I saw for this made it look awsome, But there are so many people that ive spoken to that say its a bad film and it should be called "The nothing happening"

As im new on movieforums.com im reading allot of reviews and getting surprised by some films. Myself and my wife were looking forward to seeing this film, based on the trailers we saw, but it seems yet again the trailers are better than the actual film it seems!

The idea was pretty cool actually, but the development and acting were ruining this movie. That's sad...

Cool idea but the movie never bought any dramatic feeling to it, and it had me laughting more than some comedies i've seen... i guess the death scenes were funny because people dying couldnt feel pain and werent concious about their doing so that kinda took the drama away.

I love how almost everyone here thinks they are experts in movies. Hey, here's an idea for the "critics": make a movie of your own so people can say how good or bad it is. I think that his message was not seen by most people who watched it. I think the director is brilliant and courageous. He is sending us a message more-so than a movie to entertain. If Einstein's quote; "If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live.", is correct, then Shyamalan gets my props for making this movie in the first place. I believe in the 2012 end of the world theory, and this movie is just getting us ready for it. Sure, the world may or may not end starting December 21, 2012 - but what happens if the world doesn't end? Then we continue to thrive as a civilization and live. If it DOES happen? Then we're fu*!3D. There are too many prophecies and theories that point to this same happening. Four years from now? its 2008...add 4 and its dooms year. I dont know the real truth but I strongly believe that the Earth is somewhat communicating in similar ways that nature did in the film. The Earth is communicating with other planets, asking for help! So a huge comet will probably be sent (if it hasn't already) by some far off distance, straight at us, and sure, we can launch a missile at it and hope it explodes and sends it going another direction, but the debris would be so great that the little rocks would just destroy certain parts. Yes, I bet by now I've lost most of you. But so did Jesus (for those who claim to be Christians). Jesus was shunned and all of that but in the end He was right. I'm going off in tangents and I don't have a specific point. Only time will tell the REAL truth... I think Shyamalan is foreshadowing a happening so big that we cannot even begin to comprehend. On some levels I hope that the 2012 theory is correct and most of us die... call me pessimistic but I see so much pain, anger, hate, greed and such in the world that I just want all this suffering to end. I am not one to kill myself or anything like that. I predict that once the 2012 happening is over, then, and ONLY then - will people start to be nicer to each other, live as one, and love. I live in SF, CA - and I see so much pain and suffering it's unbearable. To some people who cannot even understand where I'm coming from - you too, will wake up soon enough.

Lets put a smile on that block
I love how almost everyone here thinks they are experts in movies. Hey, here's an idea for the "critics": make a movie of your own so people can say how good or bad it is. I think that his message was not seen by most people who watched it. I think the director is brilliant and courageous. He is sending us a message more-so than a movie to entertain. If Einstein's quote; "If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live.", is correct, then Shyamalan gets my props for making this movie in the first place. I believe in the 2012 end of the world theory, and this movie is just getting us ready for it. Sure, the world may or may not end starting December 21, 2012 - but what happens if the world doesn't end? Then we continue to thrive as a civilization and live. If it DOES happen? Then we're fu*!3D. There are too many prophecies and theories that point to this same happening. Four years from now? its 2008...add 4 and its dooms year. I dont know the real truth but I strongly believe that the Earth is somewhat communicating in similar ways that nature did in the film. The Earth is communicating with other planets, asking for help! So a huge comet will probably be sent (if it hasn't already) by some far off distance, straight at us, and sure, we can launch a missile at it and hope it explodes and sends it going another direction, but the debris would be so great that the little rocks would just destroy certain parts. Yes, I bet by now I've lost most of you. But so did Jesus (for those who claim to be Christians). Jesus was shunned and all of that but in the end He was right. I'm going off in tangents and I don't have a specific point. Only time will tell the REAL truth... I think Shyamalan is foreshadowing a happening so big that we cannot even begin to comprehend. On some levels I hope that the 2012 theory is correct and most of us die... call me pessimistic but I see so much pain, anger, hate, greed and such in the world that I just want all this suffering to end. I am not one to kill myself or anything like that. I predict that once the 2012 happening is over, then, and ONLY then - will people start to be nicer to each other, live as one, and love. I live in SF, CA - and I see so much pain and suffering it's unbearable. To some people who cannot even understand where I'm coming from - you too, will wake up soon enough.
You a crazy person.

Probably a real hoot at parties.

Lets put a smile on that block
I bet by now I've lost most of you. But so did Jesus (for those who claim to be Christians). Jesus was shunned and all of that but in the end He was right. I'm going off in tangents and I don't have a specific point. Only time will tell the REAL truth... I think Shyamalan is foreshadowing a happening so big that we cannot even begin to comprehend. On some levels I hope that the 2012 theory is correct and most of us die...
When you chat to people, do you find most of them just nod with a crooked smile on their faces as they slowly back away? and are you writing this from your underground bunker? Because i think your oxygen might be running a bit low...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I love how almost everyone here thinks they are experts in movies. Hey, here's an idea for the "critics": make a movie of your own so people can say how good or bad it is.
"Critics"? We're just saying what we thought of the movie.....as you probably do to your friends. Also, I am (among others on this board as well) trying to make films for people to see.

I think that his message was not seen by most people who watched it. I think the director is brilliant and courageous. He is sending us a message more-so than a movie to entertain. If Einstein's quote; "If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live.", is correct, then Shyamalan gets my props for making this movie in the first place.
Pfft, if you go by that logic, then he stole it from Jerry Seinfed.

I believe in the 2012 end of the world theory, and this movie is just getting us ready for it.
This film wasn't about the end of the world...how do it prep us?

Sure, the world may or may not end starting December 21, 2012 - but what happens if the world doesn't end? Then we continue to thrive as a civilization and live. If it DOES happen? Then we're fu*!3D. There are too many prophecies and theories that point to this same happening. Four years from now? its 2008...add 4 and its dooms year. I dont know the real truth but I strongly believe that the Earth is somewhat communicating in similar ways that nature did in the film. The Earth is communicating with other planets, asking for help! So a huge comet will probably be sent (if it hasn't already) by some far off distance, straight at us, and sure, we can launch a missile at it and hope it explodes and sends it going another direction, but the debris would be so great that the little rocks would just destroy certain parts.
Oh My GOD....MICHAEL BAY PREPPED US FOR THIS TOO!!!! Call Bruce Willis!!!

Yes, I bet by now I've lost most of you. But so did Jesus (for those who claim to be Christians). Jesus was shunned and all of that but in the end He was right.
Are you comparing yourself to Jesus?

I think Shyamalan is foreshadowing a happening so big that we cannot even begin to comprehend.
hahhaha, I get it....forshadowing a happening

Suspect's Reviews

As much as we may mock them, I think, deep-down, we all love the crazies. They unite us in the common cause of alternatingly mocking them, or else breaking down their craziness bit by bit. I enjoy both, personally.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Mr. Shyamalan, please. You're making a scene.

You remind me of those crazy, "the end is nigh" people. It comes off as if you are spewing some kind of half-baked, conspiracy theory drivel. I don't believe its a director's duty to shove his message down our throats. It turns into pure propaganda.

I don't mean to sound rude, but its true.

Y2K? Didn't the world end then? oh that's right...nothing happened...this guy is more than a mere "crazy" he is arrogant to boot! Just a little flea trying to convince the other fleas he knows when the Dog will die...he doesn't know jack...!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
But he did somehow find this site through Google, although I'm not sure what other sites he may have posted at. I know people who are completely sane and rational about everything in regular life, but they also believe "the end is nigh". I don't know all of them though because it's been going on for thousands of years now. However, if Night can make a B-movie with such a heavy message, more power to him. Has anyone watched The Happenig backwards to hear all those subliminal mesages? Is that what you did, ittwu?

There are different views on this movie and mine is much different from many who are on this forum. It's so easy to agree with everyone else. Good movie, bad movie, yea yea...
I honestly appreciate everyone's response to my ranting. It sort of grounded me and my thoughts.
I can't and wouldn't change what I wrote but at the time it was what I felt.
I was trying to push my views on the people who are on this thread.
Regardless, instead of thinking I'm crazy (which I am to some (and you are to some I bet)) - go on youtube and type in "doomsday 2012" and just watch some of the videos. Idk..but to me, after watching The Happening, then seeing the videos - it kind of is creepy.
Anyways...I'm steering away from the purpose of this movie review, but whatever...
The movie wasn't like a box office hit to me, instead, it was like Inconvenient Truth, or, Day After Tomorrow... a movie with a meaning.

I'm pretty stunned at how many people are taking The Happening as some sort of serious warning about future events. It's just a movie, and not even a particularly somber one, at that. I'm sure Shyamalan has his concerns about the environment, but the events that take place in the film are unbelievably implausible.

I know, I know, if this were a movie, I'd be dead a nano-second after saying that, strangled by an irate fern of some kind.

The film's agenda is, when revealed, pretty shockingly incoherent, actually...

WARNING: "The Happening" spoilers below
...for example, the implication is awfully clear that nuclear power is the cause of the event. A big, conspicuous nuclear plant is behind the owners of the plant nursery's home, and it is remarked that the event only takes place in the Northeast, which has the highest concentration of nuclear power plants in the country.

Moreover, the film's final scene takes place in France. Guess where France gets almost 80% of its energy from? Nuclear power.

This is a pretty odd tack to take for a film with an environmental slant, as nuclear power is far, far cleaner than all currently viable alternatives. It may make for a fun little fantasy to pretend that plants are furious about nuclear power, but it fades pretty quickly when compared with reality.

Night, sadly, has been particularly attractive to conspiracy theorists and the like. I run an M. Night Shyamalan fan site, and you would not believe how many bizarre emails I get from people talking about people who've had some quasi-spiritual experience, or even an unusual dream, and want to tell him about it. I've been accused of being on the man's payroll and trying to cover things up for him, even.

So, you can look at doomsday videos on YouTube all day long if you want. But it really is nonsense, if I may be so blunt. It has nothing to do with The Happening, which is just a movie, and an unfortunately medicore one at that. It is not a stern warning from a visionary, or a message from on-high about how we need to get our act together. It's just a movie. It has a "meaning" in the sense that it poses certain questions to us, but the questions barely make any sense, and aren't based in any real, imminent threat.

Sorry, but it had to be said.