What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Put me in your pocket...
Must Love Dogs
I liked it. It's a nice date movie. If i wanted to pick it apart I could...but heck it entertaining and I loved the cast....especially Diane Lane (she's a doll), John Cusack (he's adorable!) and Elizabeth Perkins as Diane's pushy sister (she's a hoot). They work well together. Not a huge Dermot Mulroney fan, but he was ok.

susan...thanks for your pm on this one.

The Devil's Rejects

I thought it was ok.
My friend hated it.

THE ISLAND not great, but a lot of fun.

SIN CITY I loved it my friend hated it.

Game over man..Game over!
War Of The Worlds

The Hulk...

yep, i havent been to the theatre in a while... over the years ive gotten kind of tapped out on goin to the movies... everybodies always talking and making noise, kids start making noise, people with the food never shut up etc etc... so yeah, i dont go to the movies anymore.

most recent movie I saw in theatres was Charlie and the Chocolate factory, great movie, especially great remake(compared to other remakes)
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case ofbeer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Broken Flowers (2005 - Jarmusch)

An aging Don Juan gets an anonymous letter from a former lover who claims she fathered him a son about twenty years ago. With the encouragement of his next door neighbor who fancies himself an amatur detective, he hits the road to see if he can determine which ex-paramour may have sent the letter, and if it's true that he has a child he never knew about.

Coming from Jim Jarmusch (Stranger Than Paradise, Down by Law, Mystery Train, Coffee & Cigarettes) the narrative is a little more conventional than his previous work. Even the closest he's come to working in genres, with Dead Man and Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, Jarmusch's style and sensibility were in every frame. This story in Broken Flowers, while much slower paced than the multiplex crowd will be used to, adheres pretty tightly to the road movie expectations. Except that being Jarmusch, the ending will not be the convention much of the audience unaccostomed to his films will be waiting for.

But the main reason to see Broken Flowers is Bill Murray, who is in all his deadpan lonely guy glory here. I'f you loved Murray in Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and Lost in Translation, you'll love his performance here just as much. Over the years Billy has transformed himself into a good actor, and the subtlties of his performance in this movie are a joy to behold on the big screen. Wonderful character piece, inhabited perfectly by Murray.

If you're a fan of Bill Murray and/or Jim Jarmusch, Broken Flowers is a must-see. If you don't groove to those two, you probably won't be converted after this movie. But it's worth taking in for the uninitiated.

GRADE: B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Star Wars III: Revenge Of The Sith

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ... and it's probably what made me stay away from the movie theatres too ... it was bad!!!!

Grizzly Man (2005 - Werner Herzog)

Another triumph for Werner Herzog.

Grizzly Man tells the story of Timothy Treadwell, a man who spent a dozen summers communing with wild grizzly bears in remote stretches of Alaska. The last four of those summers he videotaped hundreds of hours of footage of himself and the animals. At the end of his twelfth year doing this, he was mauled and eaten by one of the grizzlys. For anybody who thinks this is just a big simple "Duh!" or a feature-length edition of the Darwin Awards, you must not know what kind of filmmaker Werner Herzog is.

After last year's wonderful mindbender Incident at Loch Ness I suppose an audience's first question might be, 'Is this for real?'. Yes, it is. Now that that's out of the way, it's certainly easy to make fun of Treadwell on first glance. Besides the rather obvious insanity of poking bears, his personality was over-the-top. But Grizzly Man is not out to ridicule the man, nor is it attemping to justify or sanctify his actions. He and his obsession are presented in such an odd and terrific way. Treadwell is many things, often all at once, including earnest, delusional, troubled, manic, humble, vain, devoid of common sense, a crusader for the highest justice, paranoid, understanding, furious, infuriating, a nutball and a genius. Tim had sometimes pretentious ideas of what he was doing, but he definitely took the cause of protecting the animals and their habitat very seriously - sometimes too seriously. He says many times in his self-shot footage that he lives for these creatures and he would willingly die for them too. He was definitely aware of the inherent danger every second he was out there. Herzog does conduct some interviews that let other voices speculate on whether he was a saint or a frippin' moron, but Herzog wisely lets the incredible footage of Treadwell and the bears do most of the talking. The audience is not asked to sympathize with Treadwell, though even if you dislike the man and think he got exactly what he deserved there is a curious kind of understanding that develops in spite of everything.

The story is more complicated than a man who lived with bears being eaten by one. There is stunning footage of these animals, yes, but it's really more of human psychology we learn about. Specifically what drove Tim to that fateful series of adventures, and how what he projected onto the bears and deflected away from human society was what his footage brings to light again and again - whether he intended it to or not. We do experience that pull and intoxication and maybe even magic of the wild, but also witnessing somebody turning desperation and self-pity into something else...something that may not make a whole lot of sense but became Treadwell's destiny.

Herzog also slyly and subtly makes his movie about the power of film itself. Even in moments of artifice and attempted self-mythologization, the unblinking camera captures more than even Treadwell himself could have realized. And in those captured beauties and horrors, the powerr of the medium is the real star. Grizzly Man is as much about the truth of art as it is any controversy or the motivations of one odd individual. And that, as much as the amazing look at bears and a case study of an unusual character, makes this a must-see.

GRADE: A

*and if anyone is wondering, yes, the camera was indeed running when Timothy Treadwell was killed. But the lens cap was not removed, speaking to the unexpected quickness in which the event must have unfolded, and though the audio portion survived and helped the coroner determine the sequence of events, we do not hear it in the film. We do watch as Herzog himself listens to it in headphones, his back to the camera, and it is still gut-wrenching.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Wasn't his girlfriend mauled and eaten in the same incident? I'm sorry, but the man muddies whatever point he was trying to make with his life by getting himself -- and someone else -- mauled and eaten by the very creatures he was trying to help. I have little to no interest in seeing this film.

Do you know my poetry?
I love Werner Herzog's films, and he was oh so great in Incident At Lochness. I have VERY high interest in seeing Grizzly Man, the story and the man both sound like interesting elements for a documentary. And it's Werner Herzog. But, of course my luck has struck low again, I'll have to wait for the DVD release since the theaters here... well... just suck big balls (And exceptionally BIG ones at that!). I hate south texas.

Originally Posted by Austruck
Wasn't his girlfriend mauled and eaten in the same incident? I'm sorry, but the man muddies whatever point he was trying to make with his life by getting himself -- and someone else -- mauled and eaten by the very creatures he was trying to help. I have little to no interest in seeing this film.
Yes, his girlfriend of the time, Amy, was also killed in the attack. But by assuming that because his message is muddied or kooky or just plain wrong that it is any less engrossing or still can't be brilliant filmmaking you're depriving yourself of a damn good Werner Herzog flick. Yes, Treadwell was contradictions galore. He made many mistakes, some of which you may find unforgiveable or make him irredeemable...and Grizzly Man is a great film.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, awesome remake

"Walk down the right back ally in Sin City, and you'll find anything" Marv

Can we try with real bullets now?
Bad News Bears, much much funnier than I thought it would be

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, seeing Broken Flowers thursday

Suspect's Reviews