What's the single worst film you've ever seen?

Tools    

"Worst" is such an arbitrary concept that I don't know what to say. For example, since Allaby brought up Manos: The Hands of Fate, something I've said before is that I have more respect for that film – made by an inexperienced filmmaker with an inexperienced crew and a shoestring budget, and as a result of a bet – than I have for a big budget, nonsensical mess like Transformers, which is made by an "experienced" filmmaker.

Then you have stuff that is ineptly made, but often purposefully so. For example, Thankskilling – a film about a killer turkey – is by most metrics, a bad film full of bad acting, bad script, and bad production values. But at the same time, it has one of the most stupidly hilarious sequences I've seen on a film that had me in tears from laughing, so how can I fault it if that's what they were aiming for?

So in the end, I guess there's a mixture of the filmmakers original intent and resources, with my expectations of a film. That all factors into whether or not I consider it a "bad" film. Stuff like Speed 2 or A Good Day to Die Hard are good examples.
I was expecting for you to say Cujo or Silver Linings Playbook.

I was expecting for you to say Cujo or Silver Linings Playbook.
I was going for more popular choices. I understand I'm in a slight minority with Silver Linings Playbook, but especially with Cujo. Saving those for the "Hot Takes" thread.

The Thin Red Line 1998

The most pretentious, longwinded, and overrated movie ever. Oh God Hollywood marks out for Terrence Malick thinking hes the second coming. Nominating this babbling oppressive drivel for Best Picture was a slap in the face to quality itself. Let the guy go somewhere and be a nature photographer, but please by all means keep him away from a film crew.
I'll have to be tricked or paid into watching another one of his photo exhibit films and I've seen several and a couple of them twice

I was going for more popular choices. I understand I'm in a slight minority with Silver Linings Playbook, but especially with Cujo. Saving those for the "Hot Takes" thread.
What's wrong with Silver Linings Playbook?

junior is terrible, but i'm not even sure it's in the bottom 5 schwarzenegger movies. are you really going to take collateral damage over it.
Haven't seen that one yet, but lord I hope Arnie didn't outdo himself 5 times over from that crime against humanity.

He said he'd be back, he didn't say it would be in a good movie

I'm going to go with "The Dark Knight Rises" though perhaps because I watched it in the cinema (I'm not an avid cinema goer) and I was miserable and bored out of mind for however long that thing lasted.

The Circle (2017) managed to be extremely effective at making me uncomfortable, while also feeling completely inept at storytelling and conveying any kind of comprehensible point of view.

I guess you didn't vote for Musicals for the next countdown, then.
Just a bit of healthy inter-Mofo-forum-thread guerilla campaigning is all.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

What's wrong with Silver Linings Playbook?
I'll tell you what's right instead: Chris Tucker. And the fact that Chris Tucker is the only thing I found worthwhile on a film, should tell you all about how I felt about it.

I'll tell you what's right instead: Chris Tucker. And the fact that Chris Tucker is the only thing I found worthwhile on a film, should tell you all about how I felt about it.
I hated Silver Linings Playbook and shut it off after 15 minutes. I just wondered if you hated the same things I did, but of course I didn't finish the film so I don't know how it turned out.

"Worst" is such an arbitrary concept that I don't know what to say. For example, since Allaby brought up Manos: The Hands of Fate, something I've said before is that I have more respect for that film – made by an inexperienced filmmaker with an inexperienced crew and a shoestring budget, and as a result of a bet – than I have for a big budget, nonsensical mess like Transformers, which is made by an "experienced" filmmaker.
Worst is good as an admittedly subjective, personal reaction. It ain't science but used in the right context, it's a worthwhile word because it expresses your reaction to the movie. I know what it means. Some movies ARE the worst, even though the plural there is also a contradiction.

Manos IS the worst, until I think of another one.

The Matrix Resurrections; I walked out of the theater at the 35min mark. Can't wait for the next one!

Honey you be checkin' out my bottom 100 rite this minnit.

Oh, also - Re: Junior

I remember seeing it when it was new and thinking it was entertaining enough. I haven't seen it in a very long time but I'd rather watch it on repeat for 24 hours straight than ever watch The Music Man again.

Honey you be checkin' out my bottom 100 rite this minnit.
I would take: mortal kombat or Jason x or house of the dead, or marmaduke! Off there and slap on the matrix -the higher the better!

I've seen plenty of inept, cheap, cheesy movies, but "Worst" is a special word. That would be reserved for a flick I saw in something a long ago, somehow, not knowing what it was. It was a 1970 movie called Joe.

Peter Boyle starred in one of his first roles, a role he subsequently publicly regretted.

"Joe" and a buddy he's unwittingly picked up, somehow, both hate hippies, commies, protestors and whatever other outsider you might want to mention in a movie from 1970. Both spend a large part of the movie telling us that and then, at the climax, get a chance to do some murdering. Unwittingly, the "buddy" of Joe accidentally murders his own daughter since she was a hippie. He got wrapped up in all the fun of murdering and forgot to recognize his own daughter.

Some have tried to cast this movie as a cautionary tale, black comedy or "ripped from the headlines" sensation, but I thought is was the cheesiest and most malignant exploitation film I'd ever seen before or since, especially since post-mortem commentary mentions how the movie attracted more attention to guys like Joe and his partner. The commenters thought that the movie portrayed something that needed to be done in the real world...go out and shoot your daughter if she's a hippie. It's been a while since I saw it, but on this topic, the first thing that came to mind, unlike the brainless silliness of Plan 9 or Manos was Joe, a movie that had negative numbers for redeeming value or contemporary commentary and didn't even have cheesy entertainment value.

If we're having a serious discussion, and now we are, this is great choice.

Terrible in all the worst ways.

As to all the Music Man bashing...

While the underlying work is a stage masterpiece, I get why some wouldn't like the film version.

As with Hello, Dolly! (a vastly worse adaptation IMHO), it's scaled up too much, and an intimate portrait of a lost time and place becomes a jarring, in your face experience which betrays its source and true intention.

Oklahoma! works beautifully when so expanded and plopped right into giant fields of waving wheat, and staged versions seem like closet dramas now, though Ali Stoker blew the roof off with her Ado Annie:

So yeah, I get it.

I just hope Wicked never EVER ends up on anyone's worst movie list; counting the days until T'giving!