The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

This pair was on my list.

I am a big fan Polanski’s films, and The Pianist is certainly one of his top tier masterpieces. No matter what one thinks of Roman Polanski post-1977, the story of his childhood and rather miraculous escape from the Nazis in a very similar fashion to Władysław Szpilman’s is harrowing, and he powerfully used his own tragic autobiography to flesh out the details of Warsaw on screen. Adrien Brody was one of the biggest surprise Oscar winners ever when he took Best Actor over Daniel Day-Lewis, Jack Nicholson, Michael Caine, and Nic Cage, but he also richly deserved it. It was number eleven on my list (fifteen points) and on another day it could have been even higher.

The Battle of Algiers was seventeenth on my ballot. As some may recall back in 2003, in preparation for what they thought they may face in Iraq, The Pentagon even used this fictional film shot in a Neo-Realist documentary-like style as an example of how urban guerrilla warfare is waged. Forty years after the end of the actual Algerian War for Independence and thirty-seven years after the film was released, it was still considered relevant enough and accurate enough to be used in such a manner.

It has always been linked to Costa-Gavras' Z in my head, as I saw them both around the same time, they were made within a few years of each other, and while Z is more stylized and has overt elements of a mystery, that cinematic look at political upheaval in Greece meshes thematically with the Algerian conflict of Pontecorvo's masterpiece.

Algeria is still a spectre in France, and continues to pop up in movies such as Michael Haneke's Caché (2005) and Rachid Bouchareb's Days of Glory (2006) and Outside the Law (2010), yet that colonization and liberation may be unknown or a sketchy footnote to American and larger worldwide audiences. But you need not know a lot of the historical specifics to be moved and impressed by The Battle of Algiers, which like most great works of narrative art reveals universal truths through its specificity, whether you know the context or not.

That makes ten of my titles.

HOLDEN'S BALLOT

7. Fires on the Plain (#59)
9. Army of Shadows (#29)
10. Waltz with Bashir (#45)
11. The Pianist (#23)
14. MASH (#39)
15. Rome, Open City (#37)
16. Letters from Iwo Jima (#60)
17. The Battle of Algiers (#24)
19. The Ascent (#33)
21. The Killing Fields (#69)
25. The Wind That Shakes the Barley (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Damn, I thought "The Battle of Algiers" would be in the Top 5. It's in my Top 5 all-time.. and the full movie is down below on the best youtube channel for movies

No, it says number 7 for you

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
No, it says number 7 for you

Really? Wow. .Maybe I was only judging it as a war movie at the time. Or maybe I probably did that because I assumed everyone else would have it high on their list!

The Deer Hunter is my #10. Here's something I wrote about it a few years ago:

The Deer Hunter is easily one of my favorite Best Picture winners. It's been said that the best movies are about something and that they're about something else. In addition to capturing the disillusionment and dearth of patriotism found in America during and after the Vietnam War, it depicts adult bonding and friendship in a sweeping, near-operatic and indelibly affecting way. There is a lot to praise here from the sudden and jarring transition to the war and its harrowing imagery to he performance of Christopher Walken - which is iconic for how good it is, of course, and unique for how closely he makes Nick's transition parallel the country's during this era - to a scene that always seems to be a point of contention: the wedding. Naysayers point out how long and/or boring it is, but I believe that it is the movie's secret weapon. To be fair, I'm a proponent of strong first acts in general, but I think the impact of the movie's most impactful moments would be much duller if the movie only showed us the wedding's highlights and/or gave us a montage.

I've talked about how affecting and intense the movie is, but it also deserves credit for its comedy, the best of which comes from the male bonding moments. I still laugh at and, well, ponder the meaning of this line: "This is this. This ain't something else. This is this." This is not my favorite movie about the Vietnam War - that would be Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket - but it is one of the best, not to mention one of the most honest portrayals of the Vietnam war or any other war at home. Oh, and how sad is it to watch John Cazale in this movie, which featured his final performance. He does his best, but he could only do so much to conceal his deteriorating state.

A system of cells interlinked
Trying to catch up reading everyone's thoughts, but I am still pretty far back. Meanwhile, here are a few thoughts of my own...

Knowing Braveheart's reputation on the site, in that is a pretty divisive film, I pushed it all the way up to #4 on my ballot, as I wanted to give it as many points as possible. I have been known to overrate this film in the past, like on the all-time great films MoFo list, and as far as this list in concerned, this rating feels more genuine then ranking it super high on the all-time list just to get it some extra points, even though I pulled the same stunt then! I adore Braveheart, and always have. My willingness to die on this particular hill remains strong, but 4th was as high as I was going to go, because I couldn't in good faith rank it above any of my top 3, as I feel they are all objectively better films.

I had The Pianist at #13. Is this film better than Braveheart? Yes! It is a heartbreaking, somber affair, and being a Polanski film, it excels on a technical level. But this is a favorites list, and I would rather watch Braveheart, as I just find it to be a more enjoyable/entertaining watch. I know The Pianist would rank highly, so I let it slide down a bit in order to give all my favorites a boost. Same story, different film! The Pianist is an excellent film, one that everyone should see.

As much as I don't think Braveheart deserve to be anywhere near any best of list (not even on a best Mel Gibson movie list, with both Apocalypto and Passion being far superior), the hatred it gets has almost always been as baffling to me. No it's not capital C cinema. No, I'm sure it's not historically inaccurate. Yeah, it's mostly a collection of spectacle and easy dramatic moments and is about as deep as a toenail clipping. But none of that obscures the fact that Gibson is pretty great at popcorn level spectacle and intense emotionalism. It's a perfectly fine bit of entertainment. It's a more than competent piece of film. It's got Mel Gibson in it (who, no matter what one thinks of him personally, was always dynamite in front of the camera). And while I get why that's not enough for some (for one, me), there are so many more egregious offenders out there, even in the douche-bro sub category of cinema.

Like, at least it's not Gladiator.

Meanwhile, The Pianist is one of those movies that I honestly don't know how I feel about it. It feels like it's one of Polanski's better or even best later period films. And it's got a unique vibe in the kind of lonely despair it portrays. But, maybe as a personal failing of my own, because I can't locate what the problem actually is, I don't really connect with it. Am I supposed to be on the outside looking in on what is happening to Brodie's character? Because that's where I always end up when I watch it.

A system of cells interlinked
Meanwhile, The Pianist is one of those movies that I honestly don't know how I feel about it. It feels like it's one of Polanski's better or even best later period films. And it's got a unique vibe in the kind of lonely despair it portrays. But, maybe as a personal failing of my own, because I can't locate what the problem actually is, I don't really connect with it. Am I supposed to be on the outside looking in on what is happening to Brodie's character? Because that's where I always end up when I watch it.
I end up there also...but I think it's because I just have this natural defense mechanism that drops various emotional shields down anytime I try to come to grips with watching something that is based on or shows true events in this manner. Even something that is a straight up documentary, as when I just recently watched a six part 9/11 docuseries, I have to sort of push through the trained and deeply ingrained process of watching something on a screen, which puts my brain in fake world mode. Probably because I have spent so much time in front of screens watching fake worlds and stories all my life.

#22 #22
201 points, 13 lists
The Great Dictator
Director

Charlie Chaplin, 1940

Starring

Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Jack Oakie, Reginald Gardiner

#21 #21
205 points, 15 lists
The Best Years of Our Lives
Director

William Wyler, 1946

Starring

Fredric March, Myrna Loy, Dana Andrews, Teresa Wright

I have yet to see The Battle of Algiers but it looks like one I'd really like. I have seen The Pianist when it was first released and I loved it and it was heartbreaking. No votes from me as I primarily voted for war films that stuck with me for decades and are ones I have no problem revisiting as the rest of my list, when revealed, will show.

EDIT: Ah, the reveal while I was typing the above! I love The Great Dictator and it's surely one of Chaplin's greatest works, particularly his impassioned plea near the end of the movie. It just stays with me. The Best Years of Our Lives is one of my favorites. Really dealing with three men and how they move on after service in WWII has changed their lives, it is so effective. So many great scenes in a movie that is more than the sum of those scenes. It's overall a classic, but particular scenes stay with me, like Harold Russell as Homer, who comes home minus his hands which are replaced with hooks and how he thinks everyone, especially his fiancee Wilma, will reject him. The scene where she tenderly helps him prepare for bed is a real tearjerker. Then Dana Andrews as Fred, in the graveyard of bombers, sitting in the forward nose, reliving his air battles, is very effecting. Just so many great scenes but a fabulous film all-told. It is my #17

#4 1917 Forward! #31
#7 The Longest Day Hit the beach! #36
#8 Hacksaw Ridge On point #67
#10 The Hurt Locker Bombs away! #58
#12 Dunkirk Retreat! #47
#15 Patton "Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!"
#17 The Best Years of Our Lives “I had a dream. I dreamt I was home. I've had that same dream hundreds of times before. This time, I wanted to find out if it's really true. Am I really home?” #21
#18 The Dirty Dozen "Killin' generals could get to be a habit with me." #32
#21 Tora! Tora! Tora! In the vanguard #63
#23 The Deer Hunter "Stanley, see this? This is this. This ain't something else. This is this. From now on, you're on your own." #25

It only takes about a minute into The Best Years of Our Lives for me to start feeling emotional.

The Great Dictator is very good but wasn't in contention for my ballot.

2. Ballad of a Soldier (#68)
8. From Here to Eternity (#30)
9. The Deer Hunter (#25)
14. Red Angel (#100)
16. Waltz with Bashir (#45)
17. Underground (#43)
20. Johnny Got His Gun (#97)
22. The Best Years of Our Lives (#21)
24. Wings (#79)

Trouble with a capital "T"
Almost made my ballot. So glad it did make the countdown.

The Great Dictator
(Charles Chaplin 1940)

Chaplin the writer/director puts the viewer at ease with his simple and funny WW1 opening scene. Then, when we're off guard and expecting a fun little movie, Chaplin throws the seriousness of Nazism squarely in our faces. And that's something that was needed in America in 1939, as it was all too common to turn a blind eye to what Hitler was doing in Europe.

Hollywood itself at the time refused to make films that took a stand against the rising threat of fascism. In the years before WWII, Louis B. Mayer head of MGM studios actually conferred with the Nazi Consulate, showing them films and agreeing to remove scenes that the Nazi's found objectionable....this was done so MGM could sell the movie rights to Germany. I mention that to show what kind of personal courage Charlie Chaplin had to make The Great Dictator, a film he paid himself to have made, as no studio would finance him.

Amid the antics of Chaplin, we see the fate of the German Jews who are being targeted by the Storm Troopers. Even more ominous than the action scenes are the 'quieter' speeches, that speak volumes of the real horrors to come:

I was chilled to the bone when Henry Daniell as Garbitsch (based on Joseph Goebbels) tells the Dictator...."We've just discovered
the most wonderful poison gas. It will kill everybody..."

Talk about a prophetic script. The movie pulls no punches, it clearly lays out Hynkel/Hitlers evil plans:

We'll invade Osterlich(Austria) first.
After that we can bluff.
The nations will capitulate.
The world will be under your thumb

Chaplin tried to warn the world of the threat at hand, but America was complacent until after Pearl Harbor. Chaplin's effort alone makes this one of the most important war films ever made.

What touched me most was the speech at the end of the film given by the Jewish Barber, who's been mistaken for Hynkel the Dictator. As I looked at Chaplin's face and listened to the words he had wrote, I realized I wasn't watching a character in the movie anymore...I was hearing Charles Chaplin's own plead to the world to stop the madness and embrace humanity and kindness.

Oops I forgot to add one from a previous reveal!
Here's my ballot so far.

4. Stalag 17 (1953)
7. The Caine Mutiny (1954)
9. Mrs. Miniver (1942)
10. Sergeant York (1941)
11. Breaker Morant (1980)
12.From Here to Eternity (1953)

16.Black Hawk Down (2001)
20.The Pianist (2002)
24. Patton (1970)
25. Windtalkers (2002) One-Pointer

I have seen both The Great Dictator and The Best Years of Our Lives. Neither was on my ballot. But the Best Years of Our Lives should have been. What a cast! Frederic March is wonderful, the flawless Myrna Loy, Theresa Wright and Dana Andrews, who I love.
So I have 8 out of 25.

I have seen 33 of 76. I think.

Stats: Pit Stop #8

Decade Breakdown
  • 2020s = 1
  • 2010s = 5
  • 2000s = 11
  • 1990s = 4
  • 1980s = 7
  • 1970s = 8
  • 1960s = 17
  • 1950s = 13
  • 1940s = 9
  • 1930s = 2
  • 1920s = 3

The 1960s continue rolling on, while the 1950s and 2000s are close behind. Not much movement in the other decades, other than a few at the 1940s and the 1970s.

Repeating Directors
  • Sergei Bondarchuk = 3
  • Masaki Kobayashi = 3
  • Emeric Pressburger & Michael Powell = 2
  • Andrzej Wadja = 2
  • Sidney Limet = 2
  • Kon Ichikawa = 2
  • Kathryn Bigelow = 2
  • Ridley Scott = 2
  • Mel Gibson = 2
  • William Wyler = 2

William Wyler just joined the list with The Best Years of Our Lives and Mrs. Miniver. Mel Gibson joined the list a couple of days ago with Braveheart and Hacksaw Ridge.

War Breakdown
  • World War II = 44*
  • World War I = 6
  • Napoleonic Wars = 5
  • Vietnam War = 4*
  • American Civil War = 3
  • Rwandan Civil War = 1
  • War on Terror (Afghanistan) = 1
  • Unnamed civil war = 1
  • Crusades = 1
  • Second Boer War = 1
  • Gulf War = 1
  • Cold War = 1
  • Cambodian Civil War = 1
  • Somali Civil War = 1
  • Spanish Civil War = 1
  • Iraq War = 1
  • Lebanon War = 1
  • French and Indian War = 1
  • Seven Years War = 1
  • Somalian Civil War = 1
  • Korean War = 1
  • First War of Scottish Independence = 1
  • Algerian War = 1

World War II won't be beat, but World War I has shown some entries recently. For the record, the amount of films from other wars (35) is getting further away from the amount of World War II films.

The Great Dictator was my #13. I haven't seen it in a while, but it was my first Chaplin and I still remember being surprised and captivated by it. The film is funny, charming, and interesting. Plus, you gotta admire Chaplin for doing this back in 1940. He was way ahead of the curve.

I haven't seen The Best Years of Our Lives.

Seen: 33/80
Ballot: 10/25

My ballot:  

Reply to Topic