The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies

→ in
Tools    

I think you're confusing "major social or environmental changes" with a social commentary or something.

Major social or environmental changes could just be interacting with robots or living beneath a dome or some ****.
And major technological changes could mean Hamilton Beach finally perfected the toaster.

And major technological changes could mean Hamilton Beach finally perfected the toaster.
If that's sarcasm then I want to know where you live where casual conversations with robots is unremarkable.

If that's sarcasm then I want to know where you live where casual conversations with robots is unremarkable.
And I want to know where you live where taking away every conceivable way of modern life is unremarkable.

Wait, are you equating the "major technological change" of talking to robots with a nuclear post-apocalypse?

Firstly, "major technological change" wasn't part of the definition, "major social or environmental changes" was. You must be conflating that with the "scientific or technological advances" part, which as I've already pointed out directly conflicts with the Mad Max: Fury Road setting.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure you guys aren't differentiating Fury Road from the other Mad Max movies which don't have the nuclear post-apocalypse excuse, but are still being labelled Sci-Fi. What's your argument for them?

Also for more proof that Mad Max is sic-fi, the Road Warrior is #27 on the OFC Sci-Fi list.
My mom told me Santa exists, but that's not "proof" that he does.

I don't recall ever saying that. I welcome you to quote me.
Aren't you arguing Mad Max and The Road shouldn't count because there is no significant technological change in society?

Science fiction strictu sensu is a genre of literature that is characterized by the focus of hypothetical impact of science and technology on society. What qualifies as sci fi strictu sensu? Well, for starters, The Matrix is pretty much classical sci fi, since its about the impact of information technology on society (well, its destruction by info tech). Nausicaa is also sci fi strictu sensu because of its focus on the impact of industrial civilization on earths environment. Star Wars is not sci fi strictu sensu because it's focus is not on science and technology but uses science and technology as a background for family drama and action. Same with Castle in the Sky.

The definition of science fiction (in my opinion) portrays a possible, if not plausible, future for mankind. Dystopian is just one extreme of the same standard.

Aren't you arguing Mad Max and The Road shouldn't count because there is no significant technological change in society?
No, I'm arguing that Mad Max and The Road shouldn't count because there is no significant technological advance in society.

Now, I dunno about you, but I'm gettin' kinda bored with the conversation.

No, I'm arguing that Mad Max and The Road shouldn't count because there is no significant technological advance in society.

Now, I dunno about you, but I'm gettin' kinda bored with the conversation.
Those are dystopian science fiction movies. Don't put them on your list if you don't like them.

Mad Max movies = not science fiction.

Not to me, at least.
A while back, on a different site, we had a conversation about what exactly qualifies as science fiction (and I believe Citizen Rules was in on that).

Areas of grey came up with dystopian futures (or maybe even extremely near futures, like tomorrow). For example, is The Road a science fiction? Is 1984 considered science fiction? Does sci-fi cease to be such once the time in reference is in our past? (What would that make 2001?)

Time travel was another - it seems a no-brainer, but in Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court the protagonist goes back in time, not due to any machine, as yet undiscovered space anomaly, or scientific invention, but to a blow on the head... is that science fiction?

A while back, on a different site, we had a conversation about what exactly qualifies as science fiction (and I believe Citizen Rules was in on that).

Areas of grey came up with dystopian futures (or maybe even extremely near futures, like tomorrow). For example, is The Road a science fiction? Is 1984 considered science fiction? Does sci-fi cease to be such once the time in reference is in our past? (What would that make 2001?)

Time travel was another - it seems a no-brainer, but in Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court the protagonist goes back in time, not due to any machine, as yet undiscovered space anomaly, or scientific invention, but to a blow on the head... is that science fiction?
I do remember that conversation. Ahh...the good ole days

Sci-fi can be a hard one to nail down as there's no one size description fits all. Just an IMO, if a movie feels like sci fi to me, then it's sci-fi Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court, that would seem like fantasy. In the first Mad Max, I don't remember any talk about a catastrophic event that destroyed the world. To me it seemed to be about one lone cop who lived in the middle of nowhere and was harassed by motorcycle bandits. Has anybody seen that film lately? Do they talk about post apocalyptic stuff?

Road Warrior
and Thunderdome do clearly have a post apocalyptic society going on, so yeah they're sci fi. Not hard core sci fi, but still enough to call it sci fi.

I remember seeing the first previews for Mad Max in a theater with a friend.
My friend said, "that's supposed to take place next year. That's what it's going to be like."
We were in the middle of the 2nd big oil crisis (1979) and he was under the impression that it was this crisis that influenced the movie.

So, I don't know if that stuff was a major influence on the movie - I was always under the impression that it took place in the present day or very near future. Whereas, (as stated) something definitely happens to the world (or at least Australia) between Mad Max and Road Warrior that takes it from relatively modern (albeit shaky) times to a dystopian future.