math

Tools    

haha

Yeah, I like it. I've even studied it at the university, but with iq 98...

My fave mathematicians

1. Gauss
2. Newton
3. Euler
4. Archimedes
5. Ramanujan
6. Poincare
7. Riemann
8. Euclid
9. Lagrange
10. Hilbert
11. Emmy Noether
12. Leibniz
13. Fermat
14. Galois
15. Abel

yeah, statistics is just plain miserable, but there are beautiful parts of math like mathematical logic, set theory, model theory, proof theory, category theory, universal algebra, abstract algebra, homological algebra, commutative algebra, linear algebra, representation theory, invariant theory, algebraic number theory, transcendental number theory, analytic number theory, combinatorics, general topology, algebraic topology, algebraic geometry, differential geometry, functional analysis, measure theory, real analysis, complex analysis, differential equations.

I admire math greatly. Unfortunately, I suck at it.
me too... I'm the worst ever in math

Sure. One of my favorite classes I ever took was proofs (the others were a Shakespeare course and 'Concepts of Race and Nation in European History').

I was a political science major but I've taken a lot of math credits. The hardest was either an upper level (proof-heavy) Linear Algebra or Probability Theory course. More recently I've studied combinatorics a little bit on my own.

Sure. One of my favorite classes I ever took was proofs (the others were a Shakespeare course and 'Concepts of Race and Nation in European History').

I was a political science major but I've taken a lot of math credits. The hardest was either an upper level (proof-heavy) Linear Algebra or Probability Theory course. More recently I've studied combinatorics a little bit on my own.
Linear algebra, as you know, deals with vector spaces, typicaly finite dimensional vector spaces and functions (function takes each object of any set, in this case a vector space, and assigns to it a certain object of another set, in this case also (not necessarily the same) vector space) between them, called operators. It was actually geometrically motivated. The space which we live in is actually a vector space, 3 dimensional. But in math, which is abstract and disconnected from reality, one deals with spaces of arbitrary dimension. so, you can have a 555849-dimensional space. Any number, as long as it's a positive integer (1,2,3...) or even 0. And then if an operator is linear it will always map a line into a line or a single point, a plane into a plane, line or a single point etc-you either get the same dimension or a lesser dimension. That's why it's called LINEAR. Thera are 3 possible generalizations of it. Multilinear algebra, which was ultimately used in Einstein's general relativity, functional analysis, which deals with typicaly infinite dimensions, and algebraic geometry, which is 'non linear or curved algebra, that one I like the best.

Just look at my reviews, clearly I can't be perfect with both words and numbers. That wouldn't be fair to the world.

Yeah, I suck at math. Maybe not as much as I would say myself, but it's not that easy for me to "get it". I don't have a math brain, but once I learn the systems I can just boost ahead. Overall numbers are not me though. I'm a words and letters type guy.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I hated Maths at school, probably because I wasn't very good at it.

I much prefer Literature, History and that sort of that stuff which doesn't make my brain hurt

A nice thing to do here is what Gauss, generally considered the greatest mathematician ever, did when he was 7. The teacher in school gave the pupils an assigment to calculate 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + 100. Gauss did it like this:
1 + 100 = 101, 2 + 99 = 101, 3 + 98 = 101 ... 50 + 51 =101. So we have 50 times 101, 50 x 101 = 5050.