Question about Taxi driver

Tools    

i have seen this movie like a million times and its one of my favorite movies of all time but i have always been confused about one part. Why does Travis go to the senator after his speech and try to pull out a gun and then run away. i dont remember him having any beef with Palantine. it just happened out of no where.

Originally Posted by MichaelMyers
i have seen this movie like a million times and its one of my favorite movies of all time but i have always been confused about one part. Why does Travis go to the senator after his speech and try to pull out a gun and then run away. i dont remember him having any beef with Palantine. it just happened out of no where.
He was going to assassinate the Senator, and most likely die in the process.

I don't know if you picked up on it, as it was VERY subtle, but Travis was going fu*king insane. As such, pinpointing an exact "reason" for his choice of Palentine as a target is dicey. What we do know is after his obsession with Betsy turned bad, the process was accelerated, and he focused his rage in her direction. But rather than simply kill her or her co-worker at the campaign office, he landed on a more frightening and "worthwhile" plot. He had no "beef" with Palentine, or his politics. Hell, he wasn't even functioning at a level where he knew or cared what the man's politics were. He simply wanted to cause pain to Betsy and something she cared about, and hopefully end his own pain as well, as the Secret Service agents surely would have killed him even if he had been successful with the assassination. It was not a plan motivated by politics or something he was supposed to live through. He would go out in a blaze of bizarre, twisted glory, whereby he would also prove his worth as a man and a soldier worthy of respect for his skill - you know, in his own addled mind.

However, when he sees he is spotted before he can get close enough to the Senator to enact his plan in full, he quickly retreats. Being shot on the perimiter of the action or sent to jail for dozens of years isn't what he wants. So, he quickly shifts to his other obsession: Iris. And his own death is still the final ingredient of the plan.

That you as a viewer, or the police and authroities in Taxi Driver's narrative, find his assassination of pimps and low-level criminals way uptown to be an understandable and acceptible thing, while his similar thoughts directed toward Palentine in midtown are deemed "insane" is one of the non-character points the end of the film is making. The impulse to kill Sport and "save" Iris comes from the exact same sick impulse to kill the Senator and "destroy" Betsy. They're both equally insane. His falling into a plan B that turned him into a street hero was quite accidental. He's no vigilante. He's a fu*kin' nut. And even though they decide to let Travis go, that they essentially say the deaths of social scum is an unpunishable offence not worth their trouble, that doesn't really change Travis at all. As the final CODA of the film shows with Bickle's quick glance into the rearview mirror as he drops off Betsy, he is still very much a ticking timebomb.

"Someday a real rain will come and wash
all this scum off the street."

Now, how many million times have you watched Taxi Driver?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
He was going to assassinate the Senator, and most likely die in the process.

I don't know if you picked up on it, as it was VERY subtle, but Travis was going fu*king insane.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
yeah yeah, what Holden said was nice and all but the real reason is Palantine didn't tip him enough after he got out of the cab.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

As the final CODA of the film shows with Bickle's quick glance into the rearview mirror as he drops off Betsy, he is still very much a ticking timebomb.
I got the impression that he finally got over her, beacuse she wasent very nice to him, and moved on with his life.

Originally Posted by Tea Barking
I got the impression that he finally got over her, beacuse she wasent very nice to him, and moved on with his life.
You got the wrong impression then.

Heh possibly, i might have to watch it again, but it i tought thats why he drove off beacuse she wasent worth it?

Heh possibly, i might have to watch it again...
Yes indeed.

...but it i tought thats why he drove off beacuse she wasent worth it?
Nope.

A system of cells interlinked
As the final CODA of the film shows with Bickle's quick glance into the rearview mirror as he drops off Betsy, he is still very much a ticking timebomb.
This is one of my favorite scenes in the film, the few seconds after dropping Betsy off...Things seem ordinary and then as he glances up at the mirror, there is a brief shift in speed of the imagery, and I find myself rewinding this part over and over and over....

I also like:

"The days go on and on... they don't end. All my life needed was a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid self-attention, I believe that one should become a person like other people. "

Oh ok lol
I'll watch it again sometime, knowing me i probs missed something.
And what rock you popping out from?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I think Travis targets Palentine for the reasons Holden gave, hurting Betsy by hurting someone she cares about (Palentine). That in itself is, of course, crazy. But the reason I think is most prominent is the quote below the picture that Holden used. Travis sees the world as a very dirty place, seems himself as the only person who's aware of how bad the world is, and he holds the politicians as responsible for the state of the world. So by killing a politician, he'd be taking a strike at a cause that Travis considers noble.