Villain Wins?

Tools    

I just finished watching
WARNING: "Recent Release" spoilers below
Collateral
today and it was a great flick. Go check it out.
So let me ask, can anyone give me some recommendations for movies in which the 'villian' gets away with it. Esp. movies where the bad guy is a highly trained individual who is just too good to go down. (Any indy movies are more than welcome.) Thanks in advance.

ADMIN EDIT: spoiler tag added. You're giving away the nature of the ending, by implication.

Phone Booth

Originally Posted by susan
bandits
the hot rock
oceans eleven (remake)
sneakers
Susan, the criminals in those movies are not the "bad guys" or villians, they are the protagonists the audience is supposed to root for. That's not what Stroika was looking for. Tom Ripley, I'll grant you, though the main character is definitely the villian in The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Chinatown (1974)
Posse (1975)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Body Heat (1981)
Angel Heart (1987)
The Hot Spot (1990)
The Grifters (1990)
Basic Instinct (1992)
The Underneath (1995)
The Usual Suspects (1995)
SE7EN (1995)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thanks so much

Oh, and thanks for adding the spoiler tag....didn't really think about that before posting.

The Emperor of Ice Cream
Arlington Road

Originally Posted by Shaolin
Arlington Road
that was the one I was gonna say. Along with all the others mentioned of course.
And found he was eating his shoe.

(I'd like to point out that i'm not saying the name of the movie, and therefore borrowing Stroika's spoiler tag)

the bad guy gets away in the movie you saw, i have to disagree, since he dies, how does he get away with it???

and while we're on the subject, the same could be said of SE7EN, he dies at the end, so how does he get away with it.

Originally Posted by Michael_myers
and while we're on the subject, the same could be said of SE7EN, he dies at the end, so how does he get away with it.
He doesn't "get away with it" as in he rides into the sunset to live happily ever after, but he "wins" because he forces Mills to become Wrath, thus completing his plan, and he is executed there in the desert knowing he got his way rather than going through the legal system he so hated. Were you not paying attention?

i'm aware of that, but i don't consider dying to be a part of any victory, except to a martyr

i'm aware of that, but i don't consider dying to be a part of any victory, except to a martyr
And to a nutball. John Doe was both.

coke kills drink pepsi
Originally Posted by Stroika
I just finished watching
WARNING: "Recent Release" spoilers below
Collateral
today and it was a great flick. Go check it out.
So let me ask, can anyone give me some recommendations for movies in which the 'villian' gets away with it. Esp. movies where the bad guy is a highly trained individual who is just too good to go down. (Any indy movies are more than welcome.) Thanks in advance.

ADMIN EDIT: spoiler tag added. You're giving away the nature of the ending, by implication.

well, its been a while since I've seen it but i believe in the French connection the bad guys get away.

coke kills drink pepsi
Yeah, now I rember. Thanks Holden

i dont know if you would count this. but in some ways reservoir dogs. while most people might not consider the police as "bad guys" but in the movie you are set up to root for the robbers. ANd the police are made to look "bad" so i guess you could say the villians win.

Nor do I. I guess it depends on how one percieves it. Here is a question to ponder. John doe even admitted that he was unexpectedly surprised when pit and freeman were knocking at his door. Mabe his original plan didn't involve his own death. Perhaps john doe got this idea when he recognized pit from his pics while he was holding his gun to his head. He knew he now had to rush and perhaps improvise his intended diabolical plan and that would be the perfect ending. So, if it was not his intention to die in the first place, then because of freemans dectective abilities, it rushed him into allowing himself to perish. Then that to me sounds like he did not get away with it as he should have in the first place. My opinion of course.

something that everyone is entitled to

Satan gets what he wants in Rosemary’s Baby.
The Witch, or whatever it was, gets what it wants in The Blair Witch Project.
The Anti-Christ gets what he wants in The Omen series.
…and Daffy Duck gets what he wants sometimes, proving that the sun will even shine on a dogs ass every once in awhile.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

So many good movies, so little time.
I guess Nurse Ratched gets away with it in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx