The Stepford Wives

→ in
Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
Finally managed to watch the 1975 original Stepford Wives today. Thought it would wet my taste buds for my viewing of the re-make with Nicole Kidman and Bette Midler later this year. I must say i thoroughly enjoyed watching the original. It has always been one of those films that everyone has heard of but most people havnt seen. Well it was in my circle of friends anyway. As it was made in the 70's it does have that bleak, realistic feel to it that most 70's films tend to have, but i found it very curious, entertaining and even scary at several points. The climax when Nannette Newman, (the suspecting housewife who stumbles across Stepfords secret) comes face to face with her black-eyed, pointy breasted doppleganger at the end actually made me shiver. its very eerie. Even though i knew what was coming, and enjoyed seeing how this town manages to create these 'toy' wives, i still found it hugely entertaining. It was rather similar to the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers when the characeter comes faces to face with its double. Except maybe this is scarier becuase it is fellow humans that have created these creepy toys, and not aliens.

Did anyone else who has seen this pick up on all the political messages in it? maybe it was me thinking too deep into it....then again i guess its extremly obvious but its a very pro-fenminist film, suggesting mens anxieties about Womens rights during the 70's perhaps. Anyway, the re-make thats due out this year is going to be a black comedy instead of the horror. Should be quite intersting.

Anyone have any news about the re-make? or the original for that matter?

Enemies are so stimulating.
i cant wait for it...i might go watch the original now.

i found this picture from the re-make, she looks like a doll

i'll just die if i don't see this film...

I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

just found the website. its not up completely yet but you can join the newsletter thing to get updates.

http://www.stepfordwivesmovie.com/

Lets put a smile on that block
Thanx Sis, i wonder when its gonna be relased over here? If i'm lucky it may come out whilst im in America and i can see it over there. Quite interested about how its gonna turn out.

it should be coming out june 18th in england so it will already have been out over here by the time you go back to america

it looks oh so good! i cant wait for it to come out...roll on june (unless they push the date back like so many other films recently!)

I can't wait either and I can't wait for the new Bewitched film due out. Looks like it might be a little better made than the original. I still like the original however.

This film indeed reflects the deep roots of feminisim at that time, soo I wonder do women still feel this way, since we are not in the 70's? I don't seee the point of a remake, however its insteresting to see if there is a new message in this film or the same old tenacious feminist issue. Which by the way I am not.

Put me in your pocket...
I saw a trailer for the new version of Stepford Wives at the theater friday night. It really looks good. Great cast too. This will definately be a must see for me.

Nice review of the original movie blibby. It's been so long since I've seen it. You've made me want to check it out again.