Purple noon vs talented mr.ripley

Tools    

The two films have very different final acts. This is a case where I can't say that I like either version a lot more than another.

I think that the Damon version maybe better conveys just how much Ripley is a sociopath, especially with its final sequence. I think that Delon does a better job of capturing the character of Tom Ripley from the books, namely the way that he is very seductive and magnetic, but then can turn on a dime when threatened.

Purple Noon is a really good film and well worth seeing.

I never knew The Talented Mr, Ripley was a remake of another film. I love The Talented Mr. Ripley...I rated it
They are both adaptations of Patricia Highsmith's novel. (And actually she wrote a whole series starring Ripley).

I don't think that "remake" quite captures the relationship between the two films. They are different takes on the same story.

Well, I haven't seen Purple Noon so there's no way I would know that.
I'm not saying you should.

I'm just saying that it's useful to think of them as separate adaptations of the same novel as opposed to The Talented Mr. Ripley being a remake of Purple Noon. They each follow the same basic plot (ie the plot of the book) but they have a different vibe and they also focus on different elements of the story.

I think it's also just neat to know because if you ever read the novel you can compare how two different sets of artists approached the same text.

Well, I haven't seen Purple Noon so there's no way I would know that.
From the trailers..it feels like the actor playing ripley in older version is much more suited for the role than matt damon. Matt damon's nerdy character would never have the ability to pull off the charm he was able to by the end of the movie. He just would have been living like a criminal after having replaced jude law. In Purple noon from the trailer at least the actor looks to be playing the same cunning charming character all the way through.

I had no idea that there was another adaptation of The Talented Mr Ripley, but I'm curious now, because I love the Matt Damon film. It's such a brilliant movie and so well cast! Although I have heard that it differs a bit from the book and is a more sympathetic portrayal of Ripley. It would be interesting to see how a different adaptation portrays the character.

I had no idea that there was another adaptation of The Talented Mr Ripley, but I'm curious now, because I love the Matt Damon film. It's such a brilliant movie and so well cast! Although I have heard that it differs a bit from the book and is a more sympathetic portrayal of Ripley. It would be interesting to see how a different adaptation portrays the character.
There are two other adaptations of Ripley novels, Ripley Underground and Ripley's Game. I haven't seen either, but I remember Ripley's Game getting decent reviews.

In the film The Talented Mr. Ripley I think that you really get the sense of someone who wants to belong, but who doesn't know how to do that because he always connects with other people by pretending to be someone he isn't. And the film making it more blatant that he's gay (or at the least bisexual) adds another element of why he'd feel that he can't be his "real self".

In the two or three Ripley books that I read, Ripley is pretty stone cold. He is incredibly calculating and part of the "fun" of the books is watching just how well he's able to twist people around to his side of things.