Is HBO going downhill?

Tools    

You can't fight in here.This is the War room!
I dont know about other countries but in Romania HBO is kind of repetitive.I have HBO hd,HBO 2 sd version,HBO 3 HD.Cinemax HD and the HBO GO platform.They have almost the same broadcast schedule every day.I've seen better movies on TNT,Paramount,TV1000 or Film Cafe.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm looking forward to Westworld and they have the most popular show right now on their broadcast. I also happen to think Veep and Silicon Valley are hilarious.....so I don't know.

Suspect's Reviews

Do people subscribe to HBO for theatrical movies being broadcast on television? HBO gets its revenue from people who want to see "Game of Thrones" and their other original series and specials, not how many people want to see Guardians of the Galaxy and The Hunger Games. If in this day and age you are relying on HBO as the place to catch a variety of first run theatrical features, I am sorry, but there probably isn't anything you can do about it.

HBO, back in the olden days, used to have about seven or eight movies a month they would show over and over and over again, in a higher rotation than you can imagine. If they had, say, the comedy hit 9 to 5 it would play two or three times a day nearly every day for a month or three. So you don't know pain.

The first three HBO channels now, as I understand them, are mostly the exact same content played a few hours apart (to account for time zones here in the U.S.). But I have I think nine HBO channels, and after those first three they become more specialized and play more and older movies. But they make their bread and butter on their original series and documentaries, and have for the past fifteen or so years, especially since "The Sopranos" took off in popularity.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
IME, HBO is all about original programming nowadays. I used to get excited about the new Saturday movie, but it rarely seems to be anything but a middle of the road major release. My belief is that they direct most of their money towards the original programming nowadays, which seems to cannibalize everything else.

John Oliver and Game of Thrones aren't really worth the price of admission, but I still have HBO. They don't even bother making comedy special like they use to.

Do people subscribe to HBO for theatrical movies being broadcast on television? HBO gets its revenue from people who want to see "Game of Thrones" and their other original series and specials, not how many people want to see Guardians of the Galaxy and The Hunger Games. If in this day and age you are relying on HBO as the place to catch a variety of first run theatrical features, I am sorry, but there probably isn't anything you can do about it.

HBO, back in the olden days, used to have about seven or eight movies a month they would show over and over and over again, in a higher rotation than you can imagine. If they had, say, the comedy hit 9 to 5 it would play two or three times a day nearly every day for a month or three. So you don't know pain.

The first three HBO channels now, as I understand them, are mostly the exact same content played a few hours apart (to account for time zones here in the U.S.). But I have I think nine HBO channels, and after those first three they become more specialized and play more and older movies. But they make their bread and butter on their original series and documentaries, and have for the past fifteen or so years, especially since "The Sopranos" took off in popularity.
This is true. If you want movies, you get Netflix or Hulu. The ONLY reason I have HBO NOW is because I want to watch the new episodes of Game of Thrones. Once that show is over, HBO will be dead to me.