50's HoF

Tools    

Welcome to the 50's

From TV Tropes-

The Fabulous Fifties: An era of identical pink pressboard suburban houses filled with smiling, apron-clad housewives. All the men wear slippers and fedoras and smoke pipes, all the girls are teenaged and wear poodle skirts, and all the boys are cute, freckle faced scamps with slingshots in their pockets. Parents sleep in separate beds and only kiss each other on the cheek.
Anyone who isn't any of these characters are either greasers, Beatniks, gas-station attendants, or Elvis (who, in this era, wouldn't be caught dead in a rhinestone jumpsuit). With the possible exception of the gas station attendants, everyone on that list is a direct threat to the upright morals and values of the era and will not be afforded a spot in the basement bomb shelter when the Reds drop The Big One. Meanwhile, Martin Luther King and the
burgeoning Civil Rights Movement stride across America, slowed down only by the occasional Corrupt Hick. The birth of rock 'n' roll took place in this era, to the horror of Moral Guardians, which also showed a resurgence in popularity.
At least that's the popular view of the real Fifties. In media, there are three versions of The Fifties. The first is the Fifties Fifties, i.e. how the time was portrayed in many works that were actually made then. In this version, The Fifties were a suburban paradise where everyone was always happy, either forgetting the bad events that happened during the last decade or reminiscing the prosperous times of previous decades, and there were no problems except for all those juvenile delinquents running around. Unless the local college had some commies spreading un-American values or the flying saucers are landing. The fifties uptightness was linked to real world anxieties and atom-bomb jitters, after all. Don't expect the civil rights movement to show up. Hell, seeing actual black people is a bit of a crapshoot. The Fifties Fifties are in contemporary times a popular subject of The Parody.
The next version is the Nostalgic Fifties of The '70s and The '80s. By that time, there were a huge number of adults nostalgic for the "simple times" of their youth and Hollywood obliged. The biggest difference between this version and the Fifties Fifties is that the rebellious teenagers are now the heroes. We learn that all the teenagers back then liked to hang out at the local Malt Shop, where a jukebox played Nothing But Hits. The girls were only Seemingly Wholesome and both sexes were experiencing their own Coming Of Age Stories while necking down at the Drive-In Theater and watching Robot Monster.
Finally, there are the Historical Fifties of The '90s and the Present Day. The Nostalgic Fifties are now starting to die out, replaced by other decades as there are becoming fewer and fewer writers in Hollywood who remember the Fifties... and many of these writers are the children of those former "rebellious teens", and take a somewhat more jaundiced view of their parents' upbringing. Therefore, the time period, as portrayed by Hollywood, is becoming more the textbook version. Films about The Fifties today tend more to deal with the political issues of that era (civil rights, McCarthyism, etc.) and less with its teen culture. Which is not to say it is necessarily any more accurate of course, merely that the decade is now filtered more through a political/ideological lens than a nostalgic one and teenagers aren't the only people that matter.
For a glimpse of what (some) Americans actually living in the Fifties thought of their world, read the Time Travel stories of Jack Finney. His heroes are generally lonely, frustrated, unhappy bachelors eager to escape from their conformist gray-flannel-suited world, usually into The Gay Nineties.
Note that Film Noir was a major genre during the Fifties (though more so in the late 40s/early 50s) that doesn't easily fit in with any of the mainstream versions of the decade listed above. This includes modern noir set during the Fifties like L.A. Confidential or The Black Dahlia.
One of the longest cultural "decades"- in many ways its tropes cover the period from V-J Day to the Kennedy assassination, 1945-63, with a shift in trappings in about 1955-57 as TV ownership reached a tipping point, tailfin cars got REALLY wild, women's skirts got shorter in reaction against the neo-Victorian "New Look" that had started in the late '40s, Rock & Roll started getting serious radio play and the first wave of Baby Boomers reached Junior High.
Interestingly, the decade has triggered highly contradictory reactions among people who do not remember it well since the 1970s. Fifties cars are still admired aesthetically (in some areas, you can still find them on the street), Fifties clothes are enormously popular for costume parties, and Fifties music (at least, the sort that doesn't sound like holdovers from the Forties) will probably never be thought unfashionable. In addition, many seem to view the decade, with much sadness, as a forever-vanished idyllic time that was infinitely more conservative and family-friendly (although this is not what people actually living through the decade necessarily thought). At the same time, the 1950s is often treated as a sort of historical Butt Monkey - an all-purpose dartboard on which anyone who is irritated by social repression - especially if it concerns sex - can feel free to take out their frustrations. (Whenever you hear of someone described as having "Fifties values," it usually isn't a compliment.)
But those who wish to Flanderize an entire decade should know that the 1950s were actually marked by great strides forward in social progress, sexual and otherwise, even if they still existed mostly on the theoretical level. And in any case, they were a lot less repressed than the eras that preceded them. The decade was also a period of relative stability and unprecedented optimism, both probably enhanced by comparison since the period was bracketed by the horrors of World War II and the upcoming turbulence of The Sixties. This was particularly prevalent in the US, which had not only triumphed in the war but, more importantly, was just about the only major nation to come out of the conflict with its infrastructure intact. With no rebuilding to do, the focus was on innovation; there was a strong belief in the prospect of limitless progress through science and industry, which led to a lot of gee-whiz science fiction that's now covered with Zeerust. It's no coincidence that the ultimate embodiment of optimism, Disneyland, opened in 1955, with its cornerstone of Tomorrowland, promising a "great big beautiful tomorrow." Compare Aluminum Christmas Trees.
Roughly speaking, the political decade of fifties began with the start of The Korean War in 1950 and ended with the escalation of the Vietnam War in the early 60's. Culturally speaking, it started with the start of I Love Lucy in 1951 and ended with the release of Psycho in 1960, or arguably with the death of John F. Kennedy in 1963.
Well, with all of that text out of the way, let's talk about the HoF in of itself.

Since this HoF is a direct response to the future Top 100 of the 50's list we will be having soon, here are the guidelines and suggestions.

1. Normal stuff: Everyone nominates a film by sending it to me by means of PM. Everyone watches them. Everyone ranks them. One film wins.
2. The films need to have been made and released in the 50's. If you aren't sure if a film is a 50's film, ask me and I'll arbitrate its credibility.
3. Though it is not a rule, it is suggested not to nominate an "essential" film from the 50's that (almost) everyone knows about like Rear Window or 12 Angry Men. The point of this HoF is to introduce fellow MoFos to lesser known films and/or films that aren't well respected here so they perform better in the countdown. You can nominate a well known film if you want too though try to avoid the "Singin' in the Rain" type of notability.
4. The only three films you CANNOT nominate are The 400 Blow, Sansho the Baliff, and In A Lonely Place as they have already won HoF's.
5. These are the (full length) 50's films that were nominated in previous HoF's so it is heavily encouraged not to nominate them.

1. On The Waterfront
2. Some Like it Hot
3. Singin in the Rain
4. Bigger than Life
5. Sweet Smell of Success
6. The Wages of Fear
7. Ordet
8. Bob Le Flambeur
9. Pather Panchali
10. Paths of Glory
11. Anatomy of a Murder
12. Pickup on South Street
13. Sunset Blvd.
14. The Wrong Man
15. The Big Combo
16. Alice in Wonderland

(Please let me know if I missed a film or two)

6. Please send me your nom before Dec 28th. If you have any questions, please tell me.

Happy watching!

Participants
Friendly Mushroom!
Citizen Rules (List Received)
Rauldc14
Cricket (List Received)
Seanc (List Received)
Guaporense (List Received)
Nope1172
Matt72582
Pussy Galore
Redwell
Marlon Brando
GBGoodies
Neiba

The Movies. Due Date is April 1st

Stage Fright (Alfred Hitchcock, 1950)
Nominated by Marlon Brando

Caged! (John Cromwell, 1950)
Nominated by Citizen Rules

Rashomon (Akira, Kurosawa, 1950)
Nominated by Nope1172

Ace in the Hole (Billy Wilder, 1951)
Nominated by Redwell

High Noon (Fred Zinnemann, 1952)
Nominated by Rauldc14

Why? I really enjoy Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly's performances. It's a film that's probably been seen by everyone, but should be seen again. The ending scene is also fantastic in my opinion.

Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
Nominated by Guaporense

This movie's greatness transcends what other movies even dream of achieving and it might be indeed the best piece of live action film ever made. It's a movie about the meaning of life: what a person's life is essentially about? How can one's life be fulfilling? Akira Kurosawa was perhaps the greatest live action filmmaker who ever lived and this is the best film he ever made. Some minor issues of the film concern it's pacing which might be too slow compared to contemporary movies but I personally find it more accessible than many 1950's Hollywood movies.

La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)
Nominated by Matt72582

Twenty-Four Eyes (Keisuke Kinoshita, 1954)
Nominated by Pussy Galore

Smiles of a Summer Night (Ingmar Bergman, 1955)
Nominated by Cricket

I think most of us associate director Ingmar Bergman with bleak, psychological movies. I gained a new appreciation of the director after watching this movie, a movie that is completely unlike his more well known films. I hope you all enjoy this wonderful film.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (Alfred Hitchcock, 1956)
Nominated by Friendly Mushroom!

Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
Nominated by Seanc

Witness for the Prosecution (Billy Wilder, 1958)
Nominated by Neiba

The Gazebo (George Marshall, 1959)
Nominated by GBGoodies

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think I'll give this one a miss, I'm a bit burned out with halls of fame right now, I need some time to just watch whatever is already on my watchlist. I will be watching 50s films for the list, though, so I'll keep an eye on this thread and maybe watch any that look good.

That's too bad you're not joining Thursday. I haven't submitted my nomination yet as I want to watch a couple films to choose between them. In keeping with Friendly Mushroom's request that we choose films that are good but not well known, I think I've found 2 that fit that bill. I hope everybody will enjoy them and I hope they haven't seen them before.

That's cool, but I want to find a well made, respected film that most MoFos haven't seen....except Markf I'm sure he's seen it. Oh please PM me right before the deadline in case I forget to send my nom in. I don't want to miss this one.