Matt72582's Top 50 of All-Time

→ in
Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm finally doing this... About 6 months ago, I just put my Top 100, and was suggested to do one at a time, for discussion, etc. etc.. I spent quite a bit of time - tried doing a Top 100, but I just couldn't, and thought I would have to revisit a few.

I'll try to leave each selection up for at least 24 hours for discussion..

#50 - The Godfather: Part II

It's the best sequel ever made. Besides the screenplay for the 1950's (as well as Cuba's Revolution), the flashbacks scenes are in Mario Puzo's original book. What a transformation by Al Pacino, DeNiro is great as well. John Cazale is also great, great acting all over. I had this ranked a little further down, but The Godfather was my favorite movie in my teens for quite a while, so a few nostalgic points.

The first film represented American capitalism in many ways, along with immigration and how one adapts. In Part II, we see what happens after you have all the money and power in the world, but no love, not even within his own family. What he can't fix politically, he kills.

The most attachment to him is fear. His mother dies, his sister becomes estranged from him and only comes to him when she needs money. Puzo didn't want Michael to kill Fredo, but Coppola did, so they compromise and wait until his mother dies. His wife leaves Michael because of the danger. There's no price worth the fear, let alone possible death.

There are lots of great lines, "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" as the spirit of the original Don Corleone is still here, even after death. I especially loved with Tom Hagen (Duvall) says that Hyman Roth's health is so fragile, and Michael responds with the great, "He's been dying of the same heart attack for 15 years" - it's especially refreshing to me because of the truth, black humor, but I felt the same way. Every time someone would ask Hyman, he'd complain about his health in a pitied fashion.

The only time I saw Michael smile was when he sees Fredo (banana daquiri). He's cold as ever, and finds himself at the end all alone. Speaking of cold, I have chills just thinking about his loneliness at the end. Even though he's become so unlikeable, you do feel a bit for him, at least I did.

Great first choice. I love part II because we get to see young Vito. All the stuff with him is top notch. Gun to my head I still take the first one, I guess we will find out if you do as well. I only include one in my top100 but it is honestly hard for me to seperate them. Great start Matt.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Strong way to start as The Godfather Part II is a true masterpiece. Looking forward to the rest.

De Niro and Pacino's performances are grand, The Godfather is still my favourite of the series but Part 2 is a fantastic sequel in its own right.

These are the movies I ranked after 50.... It's so hard leaving those out.
51. manhattan
52. the misfits
53. magnolia
54. Full Metal Jacket
55. You can't take it with you
56. lolita
57. the devil and daniel webster
58. One-Eyed jacks
59. the conversation
60. too late blues
61. M
62. Shadows
63. two women
64. and justice for all…
65. The Edukators
66. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
67. In Cold Blood

I've only seen The Godfather II one time, which is an oddity considering my love for gangster movies. I thought it was very good, but it was a bit of a tough watch. It took me 3 or 4 times to love part I, and now that's an easy 5/5 for me. I figure part II will end up there for me two.

Out of your near misses, my favorites are Full Metal Jacket and One-Eyed Jacks. I'm hoping Jacks can squeeze onto the 60's list. If it makes your list, that's at least 3 votes that I know of.

Master of My Domain
Rep for starting a list, and sadly not for the film. Keep on going Matt, I'll be following this list the best I can.

Out of the movies you ranked after 50 there are some excellent ones. Full Metal Jacket is a superb war film, One-Eyed Jacks is a strong Western with really good cinematography. M, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and The Conversation are great too and favorites of mine.

#49 Barry Lyndon

This has slid a bit over the last decade or so, but I still love it. I know it starts slow, but it's worth the watch. In the beginning we see a somewhat innocent Redmond until he is struck by love - his cousin. She is nothing more than a tease, and when she makes an issue of Redmond being but a boy, he risks his life against a British officer who asks for Nora's hand. Redmond won't take no, and won't rest until a duel is set, where he "kills" the officer, and has to flee, leaving his widowed mother all alone.

At the very beginning of his escape journey, he is robbed, and that robbing has a profound impact I feel, because he finds that in an adult's world, there are no rules, and he finds he has to do what he can to survive, but then move ahead.

I loved as he deserts, he finds a young Frau who feeds him, and have a short love affair, maybe the only time since he left he found love. He climbs his way up the ladder, marries his way to power, and is in a loveless marriage. His love becomes his boy, but is confronted by his stepson for mistreating him. He even finds himself in familiar settings, and we see Barry show a bit of empathy to no use. As I'm writing this, it sounds pretty close Michael Corleone... Beginning his life "innocent" until he's forced to an evil surrounding to survive, and as he gets a taste of some of the luxuries, they wear off soon, and life becomes a battle against himself. With no love at the end, he dies worse off than he ever was.

Haven't seen Barry Lyndon. I meant to watch it for the 70s countdown but life got in the way.

I've yet to enjoy a Stanley Kubrick movie, but I think if there's one that stands a decent chance of me enjoying it, this is the one.

Miss Vicky, I don't care for Stanley Kubrick much either....except Barry Lyndon which I loved. It's not like other Kubrick films. I found it to be quite the beautiful and soulful.

#48 Touch of Evil - Orson Welles

Because this is a thriller, I don't want to say too much about it. I prefer to know as little as possible about the film. I saw this because Orson directed it, and didn't want to know anything else. In fact, I was going to mention something, one word, but someone who hadn't seen it would be looking for it, so I'll leave that alone. It's really great, very moral film, and the differing views.

Henry Mancini's piece is great, the ballroom saloon smoked piano, the ascending and descending notes is great.

I'll wait for you guys to reply for conversation before I get more specific.

Yeah, my list is changing after I watched "Too Late Blues" for example... There's a few films I haven't seen in a while, so I graded them based on the knowledge I had then, when I think all of us get better with every movie we see.

Touch Of Evil was one of the few films I watched again for my list when I made it for the reason that I wasn't sure. In the end, I decided it missed a little mainly because i didn't truly love it.

I love The Godfather Part II, but it took me three watches to love and appreciate it as much as I do now. Glad I finally love it, because it really bothered me and made me frustrated that I couldn't see what people saw in this, and what made it so great.

Anyways, I have not seen the other two, though both are movies I want to watch.

I love The Godfather Part II, but it took me three watches to love and appreciate it as much as I do now. Glad I finally love it, because it really bothered me and made me frustrated that I couldn't see what people saw in this, and what made it so great.

Anyways, I have not seen the other two, though both are movies I want to watch.
There's quite a few films I didn't like the first time, but after a while loved. I thought (and still think) Brando was the greatest actor, and then when you add my #2 and #3 in Pacino and DeNiro it was real interesting. I also read my first novel, Mario Puzo's "The Godfather" during my senior year.

I would also be asked constantly to do a Don Corleone imitation which I was really good at. I learned after working on a tomato farm a few years ago that I was very good at imitating people and their respective accents. I'm in love with language...

I don't care for costume pictures in general, but off the top of my head, Barry Lyndon is probably my favorite out of those I've seen.

Saw Touch of Evil about 6 months ago-another excellent movie!

I don't care for costume pictures in general, but off the top of my head, Barry Lyndon is probably my favorite out of those I've seen.
What about off the bottom of your head?