R.P. McMurphy Presents: The Dark Side of The 80's (and other stuff)

Tools    

Just here for the free donuts
I wanted to get on this 80's top 50 bandwagon and also do something a little different. I will be posting some of my favorite punk, post-punk, new wave, goth and darkwave songs. I will also include a few that don't really fall into that category but are still 80's jams that I love. I tried to stay away from the mainstream, for the most part so hopefully some of you will get to check out some new (to you) stuff.

I am also bending the decade rule a bit by allowing a few (only a few) submissions that fell one year on either side of the decade, so you will see a couple from 1979 and a couple from 1990. In my opinion, it's still 80's and this is my list so I can break the rules!

I will be posting 5 songs each day (possibly more if I'm not feeling especially lazy). I will also be attempting to steal Sexy Celebrity's format for his 80's list because it is just so darn nice to look at. I'm a little new to all the code stuff, so please bear with me if I don't get it just right.

That's all, thanks for looking and I hope you guys dig!

#50:

X- Los Angeles

Performed by: X
Released: 1980

#49:

Tears for Fears- Head Over Heels

Performed by: Tears for Fears
Released: 1985

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Head Over Heels is my favourite Tears For Fears song.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Most of this isn't really my type of music, but I did kind of like the Tears for Fears song, and the OMD song. I only know one song from each of those artists.

I think "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears was in the movie Real Genius, and I like the song "If You Leave" by OMD, which I think was in the movie Pretty in Pink.

Did they also sing the song "Pretty in Pink" from the movie of the same name?

No, that is the Psychadelic Furs. They will be making an appearance on this list as well

GB, there will also be some metal on this list. Maybe your husband will appreciate it!

GB, there will also be some metal on this list. Maybe your husband will appreciate it!

Yeah, that's his type of stuff, but he'll have to listen to it tomorrow. He didn't feel well and went to sleep early.

Hope he feels better! This will be a relatively slow reveal on this list anyway so there's plenty of time for him to weigh in on the metal. I don't have the energy to post more than 5 a day.

Hope he feels better! This will be a relatively slow reveal on this list anyway so there's plenty of time for him to weigh in on the metal. I don't have the energy to post more than 5 a day.

Okay, thanks. I'll let him know to check this thread every once in a while. He knows my password if he wants to comment. (He may even tell you that it's him posting and not me. )

Great thread idea. Seriously.

Just knowing that the Furs will make an appearance makes me very happy.
Thanks, man! I'm excited to be doing this list and sharing. Still racking my brain and adjusting the list to try and make sure I don't leave anything out that deserves to be on. I love the Furs too and trying to narrow it down to one or maybe two of their songs is tough.