BlueLion's Top 50

→ in
Tools    

Hey look, it's another Top 50 list! Ridiculous, right? But let's face it, who doesn't love a top 50?

I have never posted a list of my favorite movies here or anywhere else, but since I've been posting here regularly for well over a year and a half, and because I don't want to be known as 'that guy who hates Chinatown and The Third Man', I figured that I should present to the MoFo community a list of films that I actually love.

This is a list of my favorite films that I have seen SO FAR. It will be interesting to come back and visit this thread after 1000 or so more movies watched, just to see how much my tastes may have changed.

I will try to explain, in short, why I love these movies, and for those who are fans of music in film, like me, I will also post a song/piece of music for most of the films (à la nostromo)

So, without further ado...

50. How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
Dean DeBlois, Chris Sanders

"We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets. The only problems are the pests. You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes... We have... Dragons!"

I'm starting the list with what I so far would consider to be my all-time favorite animated film. I have only seen it once, like a number of films that will appear on this list, and I absolutely loved it. I know that some people do, but personally I don't really look for profundity when it comes to animated films. How to Train Your Dragon has gorgeous animation, it has a touching story and it's a lot of fun, and honestly I couldn't ask for more.

I didn't even know that you also disliked The Third Man (another favorite of mine). You must really hate film noir.

Anyway, looking forward to your list! I'm sure there will be plenty of films that we both agree on.

EDIT:

How To Train Your Dragon is a solid beginning of your list. Not one of my personal favorite animated movies, but I like it well enough for its good animation and its touching story.

49. 25th Hour (2002)
Spike Lee

"You gather your whole family around and tell them the truth, who you are, where you come from, you tell them the whole story. Then you ask them if they know how lucky there are to be there. It all came so close to never happening. This life came so close to never happening."

While not considered the best Spike Lee film (or Edward Norton's finest performance), it's definitely my favorite. The scenes when Monty forces his friends to beat him up in order to make him look uglier before he finally goes to prison, and its memorable ending, make 25th Hour one of the most touching films I've ever seen.

You will find some quality film noir in this thread
You already mentionned the 2 best in your 1st post, but you dislike them :P

As for the 2 movies you listed so far I like them, but don't love them.

You already mentionned the 2 best in your 1st post, but you dislike them :P
Exactly my thought. Those are litterally my two favorite (neo-)noir films of all time.

I'm curious to see which ones you do like, BlueLion!

25th Hour is beautiful movie in my top 70 of all time I love it and glad to see it in your top50 ! GREAT start .

I've not yet seen The 25th Hour but How to Train Your Dragon is a fantastic movie. It didn't make my top 100 when I compiled it last year, but if I were to redo it now it probably would.

48. Apocalypse Now (1979)
Francis Ford Coppola

"If I say its safe to surf this beach, Captain, then its safe to surf this beach! I mean, I'm not afraid to surf this place, I'll surf this whole ****ing place!"

If you want to convince someone who hasn't seen the film that Apocalypse Now is one of the most haunting and disturbing depictions of insanity, you just show them that quote/scene. When I saw the film, the ending is what I liked the least about it, and I know that there are people who are still not convinced by it. In a way, it just didn't make sense to me. Now that almost two years have passed, I realize that the ending is, in fact, probably one of the film's strongest points.

47. The King of Comedy (1983)
Martin Scorsese

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

Comedy of the blackest possible kind, and a film that at times is quite hard to watch. Rupert Pupkin is one of the most obsessed and deluded characters I've seen in film, and he may be just as, if not even more, insane than Travis Bickle. Without a doubt one of Scorsese's and De Niro's most underappreciated films.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Le Samurai will be high. I hope.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Great,great films so far. Apocalypse Now,The King of Comedy, and 25th Hour are all superb.