What Do You Reckon After Death?

Tools    

Well its an often debate on these forums about religion and other such matters but what about death? what do you think happens after we take our last breath? do we go off to heaven or hell? to we just sleep? whats your opinion?

In my opinion i think that you may choose to stay and help guide others with your spirit (otherwise known as ghosts) or go on to an enternal world, sort of like heaven or hell, also i believe some souls get lost and thats why they are trapped on earth. Thats just my wacked out theory.

We sleep for eternity.

I think life is a learning experience and we are blessed or doomed, depending on how you look at it, to repeat it until we get it right....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A lot of death/religion/afterlife talk on this forum. . . . I'm concerned about some people's psychological states. Is it all of this terrorism stuff that's making people prepare for possible death soon? The FBI did just release a warning. . . .

This forum is actually pretty tame in that respect. I have been to many forums that revolve around religion and death debates.

Size has something to do with it, partially.

From the very beginning, I tried to nurse this forum along as a movie forum above all else...I fought like mad to try to keep the off-topic stuff from taking over. I guess, consequently, the site attracted primarily people who shared a similar slant. It snowballs after that, as people who enjoy that kind of balance will be more likely to stick around, whereas people looking for more miscellaneous banter are apt to go find it elsewhere, as opposed to scrouning around here and trying to create some of it themselves.

He who is first is also last.
"To be absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord" for those who are followers of Jesus Christ, those who follow Lucifer, "Tormented in Flames, and eternal seperation from God".

A novel adaptation.
As Vonnegut put it:
"Turkey Farm"

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity
A lot of death/religion/afterlife talk on this forum. . . . I'm concerned about some people's psychological states. Is it all of this terrorism stuff that's making people prepare for possible death soon? The FBI did just release a warning. . . .
Aren't they releasing warnings all the time? I think they're scared to death of the risk of being accused for sloppiness like they were after 9-11. But it's better to be on the safe side, definately

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Re-incarnation. Has to be, or else everything I believe is totally wrong. (No it's not, so don't say it, Yoda)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Um, I guess I don't have a lot to say except...when you're dead, you're dead. End of story.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Lordslayton, how can you explain thousands of years of teachings that there is a Heaven and Hell.

Originally posted by Monkeypunch
Re-incarnation. Has to be, or else everything I believe is totally wrong. (No it's not, so don't say it, Yoda)
I'll only elaborate if you want me to.

Originally posted by Omega
Lordslayton, how can you explain thousands of years of teachings that there is a Heaven and Hell.
While I agree with you Omega, it is POSSIBLE that it's simply a mistaken. The fact that Christianity is still alive does serve as some mild evidence as to its validity...but it's not true by definition simply because it's so widespread.

Well Yoda, not to sound closed minded but if I agree with you that there is a possibility that Christianity is mistaken, I feel it would show me to be weak, and then would simply nulify my opinion. I believe Christianity is true, because of my faith and my belief in God and Jesus Christ, these opinion's and truth's to me are not based on what other's think or feel but are soley based on my own personal experiance's and relationship with my creator. This of course is the foundation of Christianity, that Jesus Christ came to earth in the form of man, gave himself up for us so that we can come back to his Father and have a personal relationship with our heavenly father. However I do understand your point.

I don't think it's weak to acknowledge the POSSIBILITY. Even the strongest in Faith have some doubt. But in the end, if you live your life according to it, defend it, and truly Believe it, even if you're not always utterly positive, I think you've done right in God's eyes.

I think the possibility, even though it's there, is somewhat remote if you really get down and analyze the matter, but I think it'd be rather over-the-top to deny it as a possibility. Now, I don't go around proclaiming that it's possible, because, frankly, it goes without saying. Many things are possible.

That's just my view on the matter. I believe quite firmly, but I base my belief on logic and reason as much as Faith. We all have different minds that need to be satisfied in different ways. Some people have an emotional connection with God...and that's perfectly okay. I do on some levels...but my connection with God is more rational. The rationality of God's existence quenches the thirst of doubt in me more than the emotional aspect does. Just the way my head works, I think. It varies from person to person.

Originally posted by Omega
Omega, how can you explain the tens of thousands of years of human kind with no conception or teachings of the Hebrew God? Were they destined to hell because they had never even heard of Yahweh? Oh wait, there was no evolution of mankind according to the Bible. We came out of the gate being able to create tools and the having the knowledge of agriculture. You believe what you want to believe, you obviously need no permission from me. But I am loathe to defend my beliefs to you, because you base al your information for debating from a book that I don't see as a factual representation of the history of homo erectus, and the growth and spread of the human species.

It's like me saying that we are the descendants of humans from the third age of middle-earth. You would take my idea of facts as seriously as I would take yours. Sorry.

I'll try to sum up what I think we're all getting at.

The Bible is not something you can use to convince someone of God, for the most part. The Bible is something you use after you've already decided to believe in it...or, perhaps, to believe in some kind of God. It's very unlikely you'll convince anyone of God's existence with The Bible, because The Bible is written as a manual of sorts for people who already believe in God.

Now, some people are exposed to The Bible, and find it moving...they find it "fits" perfectly, and thus they convert. But you cannot rely on this...especially considering the bulk of people in most developed countries today have already been exposed to The Bible. If you were witnessing to foreigners who'd never heard of it, that would be one thing, of course.

If you want to make the case for God and/or Christianity, read some apologetics. Check out Phillip Johnson, George McDonald, and, of course, C.S. Lewis. They can all present you with very well thought-out, logical arguments for the existence of a Higher Power, as well as explanations for common fallacies about Christianity that are often used to erroneously disprove it.

Originally posted by Yoda

While I agree with you Omega, it is POSSIBLE that it's simply a mistaken. The fact that Christianity is still alive does serve as some mild evidence as to its validity...but it's not true by definition simply because it's so widespread.

Wow. I thought I'd never see the day.

Originally posted by Yoda
I believe quite firmly, but I base my belief on logic and reason as much as Faith. We all have different minds that need to be satisfied in different ways. Some people have an emotional connection with God...and that's perfectly okay. I do on some levels...but my connection with God is more rational. The rationality of God's existence quenches the thirst of doubt in me more than the emotional aspect does. Just the way my head works, I think. It varies from person to person.
Correct.