Laser Guns And Monster Suits: Cream's Top 50 Sci-Fi Movies

→ in
Tools    

Who's going to believe a talking head?
Science fiction - noun

1. Fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.

My favorite movie genre is science fiction. Ever since I was young I dream of becoming a scientist. My fascination for astrology began when I saw Carl Sagan's Cosmos. My favorite sci-fi novel is William Gibson's Neuromancer.

Presenting to you my top 50 scifi movies of all time...

50. Event Horizon

49. Cube

48. Equilibrium

47. District 9

46. V For Vendetta

You haven't posted a bad one yet. Let's have some more, please.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I love me a bit of sci-fi! At the very least it's amongst my favourite genres, if indeed it's not my actual no.1 favourite. As a result I'm looking forward to seeing what you think

And you've started off really quite strong there, 4 that I really like/love with only Event Horizon letting the side down a touch. But even that was watchable enough, with Sam Neill a large part of that.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Cool choice for a list. I personally love the Sci Fi genre.

Really strong first 5 too!

I saw a poll the other day that put Superman (1978) as the greatest Sci Fi movie of all time, not sure if anyone saw that poll but I not even sure Superman qualifies as a Sci Fi movie.

45. Independence Day

Great action scenes despite an ordinary premise.

44. Altered States

Hallucinogenic trip with brilliant use of sound and light. Quite suspenseful as well.

43. Strange Days

It isnt as futuristic as one would imagine though it has interesting sci fi ideas.

42. Jurassic Park

Exhilarating. The other parts are also equally exciting.

41. Logan's Run

Really underrated movie, isnt as dated as most other sci-fi films from that era.

Strange Days is one of my favorite films.

Altered States is very good.

Independence Day and Jurassic Park are great fun, although I don't consider the latter to be Sci-Fi.

Haven't seen Logan's Run.

I'm not a huge Sci-Fi guy but I'm loving this list.

Logan's Run? Oh, hell yeah! +rep for Altered States and Strange Days, too. I don't know if you're a fan, but I'd recommend anything and everything Ken Russell. Good or bad, it's always an experience.

Three more movies (Altered States, Strange Days, Logan Run) to watch. Thank you!

Sci-Fi may not be my favorite genre, but i always love certain concepts/ideias explained in those movies.

Actually only see two of that group (Independence Day and Jurassic Park) but love both of them. Just bought Logan's Run on DVD recently actually, will give it a go soon

Wow thanks guys for all your compliments!

The next 5:

40. Star Trek (2009)

A surprisingly strong entry into the franchise! Futuristic visuals, fantastic storytelling, not too bad performances, this is one of the best movies of 2009!

39. Predator

It might be a man in a monster suit, but this taut thriller is executed to utter perfection (except for the monster roughing up Arnie which is hilarious) contrasting the ease of commandos taking out an entire army camp to being helplessly preyed by an unseen enemy.

38. Ghost In The Shell

Ghost in the Shell is chokeful of cyberpunk visuals and ideas.

37. 12 Monkeys

Its storyline is rather confusing and I have to admit I dont get this movie even today. Nevertheless its never boring nor contrived.

36. Aliens

Terrible acting and dialogue is redeemed by non-stop kickass action.

Yeah the new Star Trek was great, I think I rated it higher than any of the other movies.
Glad to see Predator and Aliens make the cut too.

Oh, dear. Aliens. Still, at least 12 Monkeys is there and Predator, as I said elsewhere recently, gets worse every time I watch it, but it's still tons of fun.

Star Trek is fun, Predator is excellent and 12 Monkeys (one of the many oversights of my top 100 list) is fantastic. How do you mean you don't 'get it'?

35. Moon

About how robots can have feelings. An impactful and emotional movie.

34. Serenity

Great visuals and exciting storyline.

33. Sex Mission

Utterly hilarious and original Polish scifi movie. If you enjoy Woody Allen's Sleeper then this movie is for you.

32. A.I.

The greatest movie Kubrick never made. Spielberg's melodramic ending does not gel quite well here but it's the kinetic middle section of the movie where Spielberg does what he does best.

31. The Fly

All of Cronenberg's themes of body horror culminated here with The Fly, a horrifying decadence of the human flesh.

The list so far:

31. The Fly
32. A.I.
33. Sex Mission
34. Serenity
35. Moon
36. Aliens
37. 12 Monkeys
38. Ghost In The Shell
39. Predator
40. Star Trek (2009)