Do You Like Scarface (1983)?
54.55%
6 votes
Yes
45.45%
5 votes
No
11 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I just want to know people's opinion on this film. I know there are some who don't like it on this site and some who love it. I'm in the latter catergory and I consider it to be Brian De Palma's best film to date. What do you think?

I own it, pull it out every now and then and watch it so i like it

I don't hate it but I don't like it that much either. Definitely not one of my favorites.

I like some of the camera work and mise-en-scene (though it's pretty staid by De Palma's usual standards), the Giorgio Moroder theme song, and, in a Mystery Science kind of way, Al Pacino's Cuban accent.

"Hey, mang. What ees that theeng? Eet looks like a leetle leezard!"

If you haven't already, check out The Untouchables and Carlito's Way. I like those two a lot.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Scarface is a fun movie. I think that all of it's excess, Al Pacino's hammy acting and horrible accent, the terribly dated soundtrack, the patently ridiculous ending...that all just made me enjoy what I thought wasn't going to be a very good movie when I started watching it.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yeah, I'm not one of the people who loathes it for what it is. I think it works as an over-the-top, fantasy-reimagining of the Howard Hawks epic. It's just that no matter how violent it is (and it's quite violent), it's not really ever as shocking, innovatively-sadistic or Freudian as the original flick. As far as any alleged plot twists, there are none to someone who has seen the original, except perhaps that Pacino didn't suffocate at the end in his mound of coke.

What bothers me the most is how so many kids in Santa Ana, the drug-dealing gangland capital of Cali, think it's the greatest film ever made. I realize that these kids have had a tough life, but looking up to Tony Montana as their default role model certainly doesn't give me any good feelings about their future. Then again, it's amazing how many of them think they have no future at such a young age.

Anyway, back to the movie, it is kinda cool to see F. Murray Abraham in the helicopter a year before he won a Best Actor Oscar for Amadeus. It's also fun to here the dubbed voices of Charles Durning and Dennis Franz at the beginning of the movie during the interrogation scene. Otherwise, I recommend that everyone watch the 1932 movie before they rewatch this one. It might open a few eyes even if you still think that the De Palma version is so much better.

Semper Fooey
Yes, but...

The Howard Hawks is better

A system of cells interlinked
Negative. Terrible stuff.

People say that about the jersey shore too
Yeah but I think that most people are referring to this Sookie bird's slightly round yet charming little figure when they say that.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Never seen it and not one that I really fancy seeing. Always thought it kinda looked like trash

Not really interested in seeing a film that from what I've seen and heard seems to glamorise drugs, gangs and violence. While the film itself may not do that (as I say not seen it) certainly lots of its fans see it as such

There should've been more options in the poll. Do I like Scarface? Yes, I do, but I don't love it. When I was younger it used to be one of my favourites, but every time I re-watch it I rate it a little lesser. I currently rate it
+.