When will Blu-Ray completely take over?

Tools    

I know it is a huge undertaking as was when DVD took over VHS for the most part, but when does everyone think that Blu-Ray will take over DVD or do you think it will ever completely occur?

Sadly, I'm afraid that a complete takeover won't actually occur, now. I think it's experiencing its heyday right now. I'm not sure, but I think there's going to be 3D Blu-ray discs for 3D TVs and 3D Blu Ray players, if they aren't already out yet (I think they are?)

But I'm sure regular Blu-ray movies will still play on them.

DVDs will still continue to exist for a few more years, though. I'm not sure what's coming up beyond Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray.

Well, DVDs can play on Blu-Ray players and computers/laptops so I have reason to believe that DVDs will be around for a while. Or at least I hope so.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I hope that they stay around too. Because I'm not changing all my dvd's over to blue ray if I have to. And that would be really unfortunate. The movies that I liked that I have on VHS like Signs, Happy Gilmore etc. I still haven't upgraded to DVD. If I wanted to, I could just pop it into my VHS player and watch it and it would essentially be the same.

I do see a huge quality difference between VHS and DVD, but there isn't as much of a noticable difference between the quality of a Blu-Ray and DVD in my opinion. That being said I only own a few Blu-Ray.

I do see a huge quality difference between VHS and DVD, but there isn't as much of a noticable difference between the quality of a Blu-Ray and DVD in my opinion. That being said I only own a few Blu-Ray.
Which films? I think there's a huge difference. DVD was wonderful because the picture was better than VHS, but also because it wasn't a clunky old videocassette tape that you had to rewind and fast forward all the time.

Blu-ray is wonderful because the picture can be absolutely breathtaking. DVDs don't really have the power to take your breath away. They can, but I suggest you hold your breath a little longer and wait for the Blu-ray!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I dont think it will ever take over DVDs tbh mostly because of the price of them.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I've noticed the sound is amazing on blu-ray.

I anticipate streaming will be the biggest draw in the future and blu-ray may be the last tangible form of owning a film.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Ive only ever seen Hancock on Blu-Ray and if im honust I didnt see the big deal Ive got it and watched it on my upscaling DVD player and it was pretty much the same.

I dont think Blu-Ray will take over DVD ever just like HD DVDs didnt

The thing is, only certain films even look good on Blu Ray. There are films that deliberately use cinematography for a grainy, out of focus picture for artistic purposes. Films like the two Grindhouse films and This Is England don't need to be seen on Blu Ray as their aesthetics aren't meant to be perfect in the sense that you are supposed to be wowed by them. If anything, blu ray would take a bit of the charm out of them.

Films like Zodiac and Collateral, however, look absolutely stunning when transfered to. They are both shot on digital, which I think really helps bring out the best in Blu Ray in terms of the visual department.

With other films, it's hit or miss, really. I own like 4 Blu Ray films, and I don't think it'll ever get that much higher because a lot of the films I have don't really call for enhanced sharpness.

I agree with much of what's been said. The jump from DVD to Blu-Ray is nothing like the jump from VHS to DVD. I wasn't even that impressed with the first DVD I saw...until I shortly went back to watching a tape afterwards. Then I saw what I'd been missing. But I've seen Blu-Rays and I've never had an experience like this.

I think Viddy's point about streaming is a very good one, too. Sony might have won a pyrrhic victory in the format war, because we're probably headed to the point where physical formats become increasingly irrelevant.

A system of cells interlinked
Never - HD DL will become the norm before Blu-Ray can totally take over. Netflix already streams a ton of its content, eliminating the need for DVDS. The HD format with continue to develop in this way, eventually eliminating the need for discs.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Unless streaming will include extras and multiple language tracks then hard copies are gonna have to exist, if nothing else than for enthusiasts.

It certainly can, we'll just need more bandwidth and the right software to handle it, I expect. Might be awhile before we get there, but I have to wonder if the last few years have been the peak for hard copies. I have to imagine that, however long it might take us to get HD-quality video streaming cheaply, complete with extras and the like, it'll inevitably become more and more common, so physical formats would seem to have nowhere to go but down.

That said, I agree that die-hards will always want them. But it wouldn't shock me if they became the kind of things you owned only in the case of your favorite films, or if you're a pretty hardcore cinephile.

People are always going to want to keep things they like, though. Streaming's fine for a casual watch but I'd hate to see the day when our movie collection is contained solely on a hard drive.

Saying that, my music collection is now contained (not solely but it's the only one I use) on a hard drive but 90% of that is rips from physical CDs which I can't bear to part with.

Yeah, I dig. I'm on the fence myself. There are a few dozen movies I definitely need to own, but sometimes I look at my DVD shelves and realize how rarely I need them, and how I own a handful I've never watched, and many, many more I've watched maybe once.

That, coupled with a recent hard drive crash, has me pretty rah-rah about the cloud right now. I guess, if anything, the increase in streaming will mean increasingly elaborate collector's editions. Some of them are already pretty insane, but there's always something more superfluous to add! I look forward to the day when Back to the Future box set comes with a working hoverboard. Though it'll be probably be one of those crappy girl's ones that don't work on water.

True. I got rid of a good few hundred DVDs a while back which I decided that I would just never watch again (and space was running out).

But...

I hate to think the size of the HD I'd need to hold the stuff I want to keep, and that's the SD stuff. I've got about 60 BDs and that's all I buy now unless something's either not available on HD or too cheap on DVD to turn down.

~Loves a good classic movie~
I only replace a VHS with a DVD if the tape goes bad. I have a combo VHS and DVD player and I don't think that anyone can keep replacing what they already have every time something new comes out. We're going to have various players stacked to the ceiling if they keep trying to discontinue one for something new. I wish they would just stop at DVDs and be done with it. Improve the DVDs, don't replace them. But I know that, making one thing obsolete to make room for something new, is all just a sellers trick to make more money.