Pre-20th century occult films

Tools    

I am looking for examples of films about the occult or even magacians which are set in the 1800's, 1700's.

Something along the lines of the Prestige or the new Sherlock movie.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The first film which comes to mind is Ingmar Bergman's The Magician, but it's not available on DVD.

I know where to find The Magician, but you might have some kind of moral objection to the source.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

You'll find many occult themed films amongst the Hammer Horror films. Many of them are based in previous centuries such as The Devil Rides Out and To The Devil a Daughter, both based on the novels of bestselling British occult writer Dennis Wheatley.
Have a trawl through the list of other Hammer Horror films, you'll find several that fit your search

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0103101/

you'll find some gothic occult matches too if you search for films based on Edgar Allan Poe books
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000590/

Don't know if you'd count the Cabinet of Dr Caligari , but it is pretty creepy and it's the right period and you can watch the whole film on youtube

christine - thank you for reminding me of the Hammer films. I know these. I had completely forgetten Dennis Wheatley's books, thank you very much for reminding me of him.

I know where I can watch The Magician. Thank you for this one - I didn't know about it. I have only seen a couple of Bergman's films, and like both.

So many good movies, so little time.
The Crucible (1996) is set in 1692 Salem, Massachusetts

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Throw em all in Honey, sometimes thinking about one films reminds you of others hey?

I've just remembered Roger Corman's Edgar Allan Poe films with Vincent Price - The Raven, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum. The Masque of the Red Death etc

Love The Raven.

How about a remake with Tim Roth and Johny Depp as the wizards? hee hee

Tim would play Boris, of course, and Johny would have Vincent's role.

This is a bit more esoteric but the 1960s Polish film The Saragossa Manuscript, based on the early 19th century novel by Count Jan Potocki has lots of magic and occult ideas.