100 Years... 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

After I made my post up there on the 1st, I got half the list completed that same night, but then I took another break. I've been finishing it up for the past few nights, and only have one group left. I'd kind of hate to have to do all that over again.

That's fine. I just happened to be free for once and thought I'd volunteer in case another list was still needed.

100 Years... 100 Horror Movies

Night of the Living Dead (1968)
The Thing (1982)
The Omen (1976)
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Nosferatu (1922)
Psycho (1960)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
The Exorcist (1973)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
The Shining (1980)
Halloween (1978)
The Fly (1986)
Scream (1996)
Poltergeist (1982)
Return of the Living Dead (1985)
The Howling (1981)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Jaws (1975)
Frankenstein (1931)
Dracula (1931)
The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Wicker Man (1973)
The Descent (2005)
The Haunting (1961)
Alien (1979)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Carrie (1976)
Near Dark (1987)
The Lost Boys (1987)
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Dog Soldiers (2002)
Re-Animator (1985)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Let the Right One In (2008)
The Evil Dead (1981)
The Innocents (1961)
Friday the 13th (1980)
28 Days Later (2002)
Hellraiser (1987)
The Changeling (1980)
Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn (1987)
Fright Night (1985)
Suspiria (1977)
Dead Alive (1992)
Wolfman (1941)
The Others (2001)
The Ring (2002)
Saw (2004)
The Birds (1963)
Black Christmas (1974)
Deep Red (1975)
Frailty (2001)
Ringu (1998)
Interview with the Vampire (1994)
The Entity (1981)
Misery (1990)
The Sixth Sense (1999)
Nosferatu (1979)
The Fog (1980)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919)
Freaks (1932)
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
Tremors (1990)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Witchfinder General (1968)
In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
Phantasm (1979)
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)
Day of the Dead (1985)
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Hitcher (1986)
Aliens (1986)
Army of Darkness (1992)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
The Devil's Backbone (2001)
House of Wax (1953)
Don't Look Now (1973)
The Amityville Horror (1979)
Pet Sematary (1989)
The Pit & the Pendulum (1961)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
The Mummy (1932)
Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Christine (1983)
Creepshow (1982)
Peeping Tom (1960)
Black Sunday (1960)
Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
Salem's Lot (1979)
Final Destination (2000)
Angel Heart (1987)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Candyman (1992)
Tales from the Crypt (1972)
Shivers (1975)
The Uninvited (1944)

I'm pleased to see A Nightmare On Elm Street above Halloween and Friday The 13th. Shame that The Shining manages to scrape into the top 10, but to expected, and at least there's much better films above it.

I'll be honest, though. When looking at this list, I feel like a mother who's baby has its (hated) fathers eyes staring back at her. Angel Heart?!?! Aliens?!?! *********!

Great job Ðèstîñy! ... thanks for doing this... I still need to see some of the films on the list... but for the most part, I see why the ones I have seen made it... even Aliens and Angel Heart...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yeah good work Dest There's a load on there I've been meaning to get to. (And even some of the ones that didn't make it are intriguing too. Cat People anyone? )

Gives you all the more reason to get to it when you seem em arrayed like that

there's a frog in my snake oil
*Prepares video camera*

No 1. on that list is gonna be 'Destiny Dismembers Tramp'

Good job. When will it be up with all of the other movie lists? I'm ready to clicky-clicky.

So everyone agrees it should stay as is?

Anyone hating it any? Well, besides the obvious things that we have to get over. Like not liking every movie on the list. That will happen no matter what type of list we do.

*Prepares video camera*

No 1. on that list is gonna be 'Destiny Dismembers Tramp'

(And even some of the ones that didn't make it are intriguing too. Cat People anyone? )
Yep, there were roughly 4-5 tied for that last spot, and my vote ended the tie. Sorry, but as much as I thought about voting on Cat People, I went with The Uninvited.

Heyy jokes!

I actually quite like the list, the top 3 is pretty refreshing.

Definitely massive appreciate on Dest's effort

Thanks Des, you're all right. I don't care what Pike says about ya.

Great Job !

Obviously there's going to be films you just didn't enjoy or even worse you disliked. It's hard to approuch any list as being an overall healthy dose of everything possible imaginable, that makes up the cinema of horror. I'm not so sure how well rounded this list is. The more and more i've looked over it since late last night. There's no right or wrong film. That's made it or hasn't made it. It's a concensus and that's what ultimately makes it work.

55% of the films were made after the 80's and there's been over a 100 years of cinema. I also know it's to be expected. using my list as an example it has 52% of it's films from the start of the 80's.

I like Richard Donner and I like The Omen I had it in my list. I'm pleased to see his film within this list but at #3 it's hard to image it there. it's in the #63 spot of my list.

There's always going to be a healthey debate as to what is and what isn't Horror. Before I created my list I had about 250 films that in some way or another I identified as a horror film. I then went threw that list with someone else to get a gage on what others consider to be horror or not. If there feelings were strong enough to change my mind or idea as to it belonging in such a list. Too revalute so to speak. I found that after all this my list was now scrapping the buttom side of a hundred. To the point were I included a few films at the tail end of my list I felt were possible passible films that had extremely strong horror elements. Magic, Last House on Dead End Street, Let's Scare Jessica to Death and Terror Train. Are all horror films, but there as an intriguing premise for what could have been a great horror movie, there memorable. What I guess i'm trying to say is there not particularly strong films and easily could be replace with some of the films in are concensus list that I have yet to watch.

That's just it, this list is a more grounded perspective were the personal choice doesn't overshadow the entire list where you get a healthy dose of low budget, gore horror, slasher, creature etc and were it's quality and uniqueness lies within that represtation.

I'm pleased to see A Nightmare On Elm Street above Halloween and Friday The 13th. Shame that The Shining manages to scrape into the top 10, but to expected, and at least there's much better films above it.

I'll be honest, though. When looking at this list, I feel like a mother who's baby has its (hated) fathers eyes staring back at her. Angel Heart?!?! Aliens?!?! *********!
Hating on The Shining what ? Really.

Aliens is an all out bash up action flick with stern colomns made out of the sci-fi genre. Horror is a rather secondary or even third aspect in what this film is all about. So, I understand were your coming from. We could argue that of all the action films to contain a horror element this is the best or debatably one of the best.

Movies that are now on my too see list

Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Frankenstein (1931)
The Wicker Man (1973)
The Descent (2005)
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Let the Right One In (2008)
The Innocents (1961)
Hellraiser (1987)
Wolfman (1941)
The Entity (1981)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919)
The Amityville Horror (1979)
The Mummy (1932)
Final Destination (2000)
The Uninvited (1944)

Movies that made the concensus list that I excluded from my horror list in an attempt to make it more horror oriented.

The Others (2001)
The Sixth Sense (1999)
Tremors (1990)
Army of Darkness (1992)
Christine (1983)
Aliens (1986)

Even though I tried my best to exclude certain films these still stayed which many people can agrue arn't horror films.

Heavenly Creatures
Hush, Hush sweet Charlotte
The Vanishing (1988)
Repulsion
Angel Heart
White of the Eye
Man Bites Dog
Rosemary's Baby
The Thing From Another World
Misery
Below
Vengeance is mine

Surprising omissions (If any of them did make it please tell me I tried my best to make sure)

I'm also intrested extremely interested in what people think of these as horror films, are they or arn't they too you ?

Martin
Pan’s Labyrinth
Jacob's Ladder
Seven
Dead of Night (1945)
Sisters
Kill, Baby.... Kill! (1968)
The Exorcist III
Event Horizon
The Collector
Zombieland
Vampyr (1932)
The Hills Have Eyes

Films I'm great to see make the list which was a pleasent surprise.

Frailty (2001) - Man can Paxton direct dude needs to keep on doing what he's been doing.

Witchfinder General (1968) - I thought about putting this at number just to give it more points but I didn't it was #27.

In the Mouth of Madness (1994) - John Carpenter seems to own this list and even one of his lessor structure more surreal films gets a nod.

The Devil's Backbone (2001) - After Pan's Labyrinth this is his best. Also with the recognition of Pan's people now have gone out of there way to check out his earlier work. Reaping the rewards of The Devil's Backbone, Cronos and to a smaller extant Mimic.

House of Wax (1953) - A director with one eye makes one of the best 3D movies of all time.

Shivers (1975) - Some People must have ranked this one high on there list or something. It seems so unlikely. Give me Rabid but i'll make do with Shivers.

Movies I could do without Ginger Snaps (2000) I just thought this was garbage. not to shabby one film out of the bunch.

I agree with what you said about Aliens. I was one of the few that didn't want Suspense Thrillers on the list. I didn't like the idea of Sci-fi films being on it, either. That is where I'd stick Aliens. Most films have some drama, action, and/or comedy in them, but to me it is still easy enough telling them apart. Sci-fi and Horror is where I see a lot of confusion.
Anyway, in the end, I was fine with all of the movies that made it on the list. All but one. How well do you know me? Name that movie!