Scenes of Humiliation

Tools    

You want to post like me?
That scene never made any sense to me: the old cons start hollering and the new con alone in his own cell starts boo-hooing (that's gotta be the least crowded prison ever, with private rooms for everyone)? Like he's never heard the old sticks-and-stones advice? And then the guards beat him up for making noise? How'd they ever hear him over the rest of the racket?

It's simply one of those "let's shock 'em with a scarey fake prison scene" ploys. James Cahn gives a much better and more realistic explanation of adapting to prison life in Thief.
Sorry mate, I disagree. The other inmates kept quiet when the prison guard enterred and called for silence. The fat fish however, wouldn't shut up and started complaining and explaining that he shouldn't be there. Then the guard beat him up, maybe to uphold his status in front of the other inmates or simply because the fish bugged him. That scene seemed perfectly natural to me.

"That scene seemed perfectly natural to me."
Let me elaborate:
The scene seemed natural within the context of the movie. I'm not claiming that I know anything about the life in prison.

The rape scene in Rob Roy is the worst one (in that movie)... but there are several other scenes in the movie that were humiliating in different ways... however, I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
We agree completely Spud
Look six posts up
Yeah, I didn't bother to see that there were two pages and I was on page 1. I've seen The Shawshank Redemption enough times, I can practically recall every scene in that movie.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Sorry mate, I disagree. The other inmates kept quiet when the prison guard enterred and called for silence. The fat fish however, wouldn't shut up and started complaining and explaining that he shouldn't be there. Then the guard beat him up, maybe to uphold his status in front of the other inmates or simply because the fish bugged him. That scene seemed perfectly natural to me.
Been a loooooong time since I saw that movie, so maybe there was a quite moment in between the guy boo-hooing and the screws beating him. Still doesn't explain why he wimps out when he's alone in his cell to begin with. Would you have wet yourself over the other cons hooting it up? Also, the whole scene is based on the premise that the guards care enough to want to whack him. But why? If they're just sadists who want to whack someone, why not just whack all the new inmates or go down the row and bash every third prisoner? Why pick just one guy and go through the pretense that they're imposing order on the cons? And why is the head guard staying late to play that game instead of going home at 5 p.m.? Why not just whack the nearest prisoner at 4:30 and leave work on time?

It's just one of several silly scenes in that film. Like the warden letting that one guy outside the prison so he can be shot while "escaping." That means there has to be an investigation and reports filed to explain how the prisoner managed to get over the walls without tripping any of the alarms. Would have been smarter and easier to arrange for him to hang himself in his own cell, especially since the crooked warden and head guard could have recruited any number of prisoners who "witnessed" such a tragedy. The silliest scene of all, however, is the prisoner using a chunk of concrete to bust open a metal sewer line. Which has the greater tensil strength--metal or a sand-and-gravel-based chunk of already broken concrete?

Poor Pyle? The gunny ends up with his head blown off! There's about 100 guys in that barracks, and only one nut-job breaks under pressure. Besides, he shoulda known the job was dangerous before he enlisted.

The King of Movies
There was a scene in American History X - im not sure if it was on the original cut or on the speciel features on DVD but it was still pretty sad.

The link is bellow. I highly recemend you watch.

Welcome to the human race...
Forgot to include The Last House on the Left as well. Also, on a more humourous note, the baptism scene from There Will Be Blood.

Been a loooooong time since I saw that movie, so maybe there was a quite moment in between the guy boo-hooing and the screws beating him.
There was. The head guard even told him to shut the hell up several times. "But you don't understand I'm not supposed to be here!". But the fish went on and on. You even saw one of Andy's soon to be friends advicing him to keep quiet.

Still doesn't explain why he wimps out when he's alone in his cell to begin with. Would you have wet yourself over the other cons hooting it up?
Well honestly I have no idea how I would react since I've never been to prison. I think it's one of those situations where you don't know how you will react - I certainly don't.
But I do think that there are some people who wouldn't be able to control themselves. And, with all due respect, I don't think you really know anything about the psychological pressure that goes on in such a place... Which is a good thing

Also, the whole scene is based on the premise that the guards care enough to want to whack him. But why? If they're just sadists who want to whack someone, why not just whack all the new inmates or go down the row and bash every third prisoner? Why pick just one guy and go through the pretense that they're imposing order on the cons?
Because the guards have to at least justify it, in some way. No matter how cruel the prison was to begin with, I don't think the warden will allow meaningless beatings of random prisoners.
And personally I think the fat fish really got on the head guard's nerves. He was crying for his mommy, for cryin' out lout.
I think this will all be clearer to you if you watch the scene again (sadly, I couldn't find it on youtube).

And why is the head guard staying late to play that game instead of going home at 5 p.m.? Why not just whack the nearest prisoner at 4:30 and leave work on time?
Well the movie doesn't give any details of the guards' scheduals. And I don't really think the specific time is mentioned either. He was on night duty, whadda I know? What I'm saying is that that's irrellevant.

It's just one of several silly scenes in that film. Like the warden letting that one guy outside the prison so he can be shot while "escaping." That means there has to be an investigation and reports filed to explain how the prisoner managed to get over the walls without tripping any of the alarms.
I see your point. But the inmate never made it across the outer wall. He was being brought to the yard where he was shot. Now I'm not saying that this is the best way to handle this, but it wouldn't be impossible to state that Tommy, the inmate, stole the keys to the door from one of the guards, broke out into the yard, and made a run for the gate. Then it would be justified that the head guard shot him in the back, and it wouldn't be hard to make believable, as long as you have statements from the guard who got his keys stolen and the head guard who shot him.
But I do agree that there are plenty of better ways to handle it.

Would have been smarter and easier to arrange for him to hang himself in his own cell, especially since the crooked warden and head guard could have recruited any number of prisoners who "witnessed" such a tragedy.
Absolutely.

The silliest scene of all, however, is the prisoner using a chunk of concrete to bust open a metal sewer line. Which has the greater tensil strength--metal or a sand-and-gravel-based chunk of already broken concrete?

I give you that one.
Look at 1:47 how thick that thing is.

The film Sleepers when the prison guard (Kevin Bacon) makes the young lad pray out loud as he is being raped, i was almost in tears!!
mermermer... panties on.

carrie is crazy

In the Beginning...
On a lighter note, I love the scene in MASH (the film) where all the guys converge next to the shower tent and set up theater-style seating for themselves, and pull the tent shawl down to reveal Sally Kellerman in mid-lather. It's hilarious because she screams in embarrassment, and all the guys quietly and contently thank her with a golf clap.

1. "There Will Be Blood"--the part where Daniel Day-Lewis' character tells his son that he was an orphan or rather a, "Bastard from a basket!"

2. "Of Human Bondage"--the scene where Bette Davis' character gives Leslie Howard (male) a verbal beat-down--she calls him a cad and tell him, "When you kissed me I used to wipe my mouth, wipe my mouth!" (Which she does.) She deserved her Oscar for that movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
A lot of people agree with you concerning Bette Davis, but she didn't win the Oscar for Of Human Bondage. Claudette Colbert won for It Happened One Night. However, Bette did become the first write-in nominee for a major acting award for Of Human Bondage and was rewarded the following year with an Oscar for Dangerous.

Prominent scenes of humiliation in movies:

In West Side Story, the harassment and assault on Anita by the Jets in Doc's Candy Store as she attempts to help by going downstairs to deliver the message to Tony about how Chino's gunning for him. The Jets not only refuse to let Anita pass and go down to the cellar, but they insult her and rough her up for her trouble.

Another notable scene of humiliation: When Tony attempts to shake hands with Bernardo after getting between Bernardo and Ice at the start of the Rumble. Enraged that Tony's interested in his sister Maria, Bernardo pushes him back angrily and begins to insult him and rough him up for his trouble.

In the film Billy Jack:

A) The scene in town at the ice cream shop, when the young white guy working there refuses to serve ice cream to the white and Native American students at the school, who've come into the ice cream shop for refreshment. Bernard, the son of the town police commissioner and his friend, "Dinosaur", come in and exploit the situtation by pouring white flour all over the Native American kids and rough up those who try to stop them.

B) Barbara, the 15-year-old daughter of one of the town sheriffs, who's six weeks pregnant, doesn't know who or where the father of the baby is, is sick with hepatitis, who keeps running away to the Haight-Ashbury district to get away from a constantly abusive father, and gets punched in the face once again by her law-in-order father when she tells him that she's "been balled by so many guys that she doesn't know if the father of the baby is going to be white, Indian, Mexican, or black".

C) Martin, one of the Native American kids, constantly gets punched in the stomach and beat up by local white toughs.

D) Jean Roberts, the director of the Freedom School, is brutally raped by Bernard at gunpoint, after being tied up, as she's sunbathing, and as "Dinosaur" holds her head.

She's stripping and he's humiliated????
Well they both are humiliated as a couple rather than individually. Him almost as much as her. His masculinity (which had been subtly questioned earlier in the film) is fractured at this point he knows that if there is any chance of them surviving their encounter he'll have to do what the intruders say. He knows that she feels more than let down by him. The man that was supposed to protect her and her family is crippled and forced to make her strip. That's humiliating for any couple.

Tuco and Blondie in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, are continually humiliating each other.