No Country For Old Men

Tools    

Anybody else heard of this film? It's from the Coen Bros. It's supposed to be a westernish chase movie. It stars Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Tommy Lee Jones. Looks like a solid cast.

Heres a trailer:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TzRTujK1Qw4

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TzRTujK1Qw4

I first saw the trailer a few months ago, and having seen it in theaters this past week again, I'm positively giddy. I love the Coens, and I've been taking in a fair number of westerns as of late, so I'm very excited.

Apparently the book it's from is pretty darn good though only know that from conversation, don't know much about either. That said, looking forward to it.

Yes, it's adapted from the book of the same name by Pulitzer Prize winner Cormac McCarthy. The flick looks amazing.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I don't remember; what happened with the film at Cannes?

It played in competition for the Golden Palm, but ultimately that went to the Romanian drama 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. Barton Fink was the unanimous choice for Cannes' top prize and Best Director in 1991, and the Coens have also won Best Director for Fargo and The Man Who Wasn't There (plus lots of other nominations there). I believe the critical response to No Country for Old Men in Cannes was strong, as it was at the New York Film Festival last month.

In addition to Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem, the movie also features Woody Harrelson, Kelly Macdonald (Gosford Park, The Girl in the Café), Garret Dillahunt ("Deadwood"), Tess Harper, Barry Corbin and Stephen Root. No Country for Old Men starts its limited U.S. run on November 9th, expanding on the 21st.

I'm sooo psyched to see this! Been waiting a long time for the bros to put out another gritty epic. Miller's Crossing was one of my all-time favorites.

I first saw the trailer a few months ago, and having seen it in theaters this past week again, I'm positively giddy. I love the Coens, and I've been taking in a fair number of westerns as of late, so I'm very excited.
On the Rotten Tomatoes web site, one reviewer describes this film as "A quirky and bloody meditation on the rising tide of violence in America." Think about that statement for a moment. Is there really a "rising tide of violence in America" or does there only seem to be because of the films and games that Hollywood produces? And if that tide is really rising, how much have Hollywood producers, directors and actors contributed to the increase through their "quirky and bloody meditations" from the safety of their closed sets and guarded communities?

Well, I may see the film, although the fact that it has Woody Harrelson (?) in it kind of puts me off (I never did buy his claim that daddy was innocent of the murder of that federal judge.) If I do see it, it will on a rental basis so I can fast forward past the "bloody" parts. Or turn it off and walk away. Quirky's fine, so long as it's not blood-splattered. Don't wanna see no more whack-im-with-the-shovel-again kinda quirky.

Originally Posted by rufnek
...although the fact that it has Woody Harrelson in it kind of puts me off (I never did buy his claim that daddy was innocent of the murder of that federal judge)
Well, that's certainly a reasonable position to take...for The National Enquirer, anyway.

Say what, now?

Terrific movie, almost up their with their best. As usual, almost perfectly executed (the ending was merely good though). Bardem was superb and the film was overflowing with memorable images.

Check out the game for this movie, you get your head blown off!

First try I died. It ain't easy.

Cohen Brother did a great job directing this movie.. I just love the cinematography they've got here and also the casting..

This movie looks effin' badass. UNF!
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Enemies are so stimulating.
I really wanna see this but have to wait till january. i forgot it was the coen brothers! i am more excited now
I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

Has no one reviewed this film? I can't find a review anywhere?
How hard did you look? Because there's a review by Holden in the Reviews area:

No Country For Old Men

And there are a couple user reviews listed, too (linked to from Holden's on the right-hand side of the page). You can also find them here:

User Reviews - N

Never watched the movie yet but seen the trailer one thing that catch my attention was the shotgun no the silencer in the shotgun makes me wanna have one.

On the Rotten Tomatoes web site, one reviewer describes this film as "A quirky and bloody meditation on the rising tide of violence in America." Think about that statement for a moment. Is there really a "rising tide of violence in America" or does there only seem to be because of the films and games that Hollywood produces? And if that tide is really rising, how much have Hollywood producers, directors and actors contributed to the increase through their "quirky and bloody meditations" from the safety of their closed sets and guarded communities?

Well, I may see the film, although the fact that it has Woody Harrelson (?) in it kind of puts me off (I never did buy his claim that daddy was innocent of the murder of that federal judge.) If I do see it, it will on a rental basis so I can fast forward past the "bloody" parts. Or turn it off and walk away. Quirky's fine, so long as it's not blood-splattered. Don't wanna see no more whack-im-with-the-shovel-again kinda quirky.
With poverty comes violence...and poverty sure as hell is rising in the US of A. NO the media and entertainment outlets don't help...but poverty and violence is institutionalized....sure as hell its on the rise.

I finally saw this movie over the weekend, and I have to say that I though it was truly amazing. I loved every minute of it.