World Trade Center

Tools    

I think it's interesting how 'a tale of courage and survival' juxtaposes with United 93's tale of hopelessness and death (I doubt that's how they described it). I also think that it's in pretty poor taste to turn 9/11 into some typical disaster movie, although I imagine it's had a bucket or two of sentiment poured over it so as not to cause offence. It looks like a ghastly film to me, I'm sure it will have the effect the makers were hoping for on certain American audiences, but a lot of people from outside the US will find such a schmaltzy pile of rubbish completely unstomachable.

I don't know what the current American feeling about the media treatment of 9/11 is though, and whether they'd want something like this, but after nearly 5 years, I wish they'd just shut the hell up about it.

Release Date: August 9, 2006
Director: Oliver Stone
Starring: Nicolas Cage, Michael Peña, Maria Bello, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jay Hernandez
Official Website: WTCmovie.com
Plot Summary: Academy Award®-winning director Oliver Stone tells the true story of the heroic survival and rescue of two Port Authority policemen – John McLoughlin and Will Jimeno – who were trapped in the rubble of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, after they went in to help people escape. The film also follows their families as they try to find out what happened to them, as well as the rescuers who found them in the debris field and pulled them out. Their story shows how the best in people rose above the tragic events of that day.

I don't like the title - World Trade Center - for a movie. It just doesn't sound like a movie, it sounds like... the buildings!

But, I dunno, maybe it'll be a good movie and I'll get used to it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not sure I would want to see this - a grim movie about lots of people dying, not good. A 'happy ending' movie about a couple of people who survived (among the thousands of people dying), also not good. Also, you can feel the schmaltz oozing off the promotion...

It can't rain all the time
I don't want to see it cos it has Nicholas Cage in it...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The whole thing seemed like a movie when it was happening. I hope that this is a story of human beings in a terrible situation that can showcase the good that happened without using the events to villify and manipulate. I'm not holding my breath on that, but that's my hope.

Originally Posted by eviltwin
I don't want to see it cos it has Nicholas Cage in it...
Nicholas Cage is the only reason why anyone should want to go and see such a film, although he looks a bit inbred in this.

The whole trailer makes it out to look like Oscar fodder for Oliver Stone.

It looks silly, and is probably going to either make just as much, if not a touch more than United 93, which was better off because they used unknowns as opposed to well-known actors.

A tragedy or not, this is a basic Hollywood cash-in on an event that everyone knows about, and it's disgusting to see them doing so. They just don't know well enough when to leave something alone.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ach, i dare say that Stone's motivations are 'well meaning'. I daresay it'll be heavy-handed, and all the cacker for it, n'all tho.

I gotta be honest. I think it looks incredible.

Progressive Design Technology
I agree with screentoclose, I can't wait to see it.
They were opening it in the UK on the 2nd of June.
We'll see...

i dont think this will do as good as united 93, from the trailer it seems to be a bit boring, story of two people traped, however, if its was anything like ladder 12? i think it was, then it will be good

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Originally Posted by smgfan16
i dont think this will do as good as united 93, from the trailer it seems to be a bit boring, story of two people traped, however, if its was anything like ladder 12? i think it was, then it will be good
Ladder 49?

Originally Posted by smgfan16
i dont think this will do as good as united 93, from the trailer it seems to be a bit boring, story of two people traped
It may seem a bit boring of a film to you since it comes right after Paul Greengrass' United 93, but it's a totally different situation whatsoever.

I for one am going to see this with an open mind and believe in Oliver Stone for putting his heart into the events of 911.

Hi y'all,

Since I saw WTC today, I thought I'd pop in and give a little review.

Boring. Touching, but boring. Could not wait for the film to end.

See y'all later.

thanks for the review...no desire to see this film whatsoever...too close to home for me...i've seen it firsthand..including the aftermath and i don't feel like reliving it just yet...

maybe when it shows up on cable...

maybe

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Not seeing it. Lived through it, not paying $10 to relive all the horror and death as a night out at the cinema. I'd rather watch something...I dunno...fun? The new Will Ferrell one or Snakes on a Plane will do me just fine.

I liked it. It was powerful.