Vegan/Vegetarian

Tools    

I have decided to go complete vegan with the help of my doctor and a nutritionist. I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for many years then I fell back into eating chicken and fish occationally and some beef once in a blue moon.

Last semester in school I heard daily in my moral philosophy class about the treatment of animals. It disturbed me! Though I bet any moral being would be disturbed.

You can buy meat, eggs and dairy nowadays where the animal who contributed to your meal (isn't) mistreated, but I still feel that I need to go vegan.

There are more reasons why I feel this is right for me...animal rights is number one, then health....and the psychological bloody taste in my mouth.

Are there any other vegan or vegetarian MoFos? What made you become a vegetarian/vegan?

If you are not a vegetarian/vegan what are your thoughts on this? Have you thought about becoming one yourself?

No rude comments or animal eating jokes, please, lol.

I See You When You're Sleeping
I was a vegetarian for 6 years due to the fact that I had some Veil in France. Now I'm not saying all Veil in France is bad but this particular Veil wouldn't stop moving on my plate. I hence lived on carrots for the duration of my stay and became a vegetarian for 6 years.

My girlfriend has been one all her life and has never been tempted to eat meat. I'm sorry say the smell of Bacon and an unhealthy diet brought me back to the dark side.

Good luck with it, I find it very hard to be restricted.

Arresting your development
I would like to hear from the families of the vegetables...their side of the story now. Just because they are in a deep sleep, impaired mentally and physically and can not make choices for themselves does not mean anyone should eat them. Even if you pour all kinds of French dressing on them...

Sheesh!

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by gummo
I have decided to go complete vegan with the help of my doctor and a nutritionist. I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for many years then I fell back into eating chicken and fish occationally and some beef once in a blue moon.
So long as you stay healthy, i'd say do what makes you happy. Altho there are some good reasons to keep eating humanely-raised animals etc...

I was a 'fishaterian' for many years, but these days i'll eat meat so long as its 'free range' and organically raised. Which means i eat it veeerrry infrequently (coz it's pricey). On a social-contribution front, the useful side to that is that you're not giving money to the hormone/antibiotic-using, water/land-over-consuming, animal-abusing factory-farmers - and you're also supporting guys who raise animals the positive way. Given that meat-eating is never gonna stop, it makes sense to support the eco/humane meat-producers where possible.

There is a problem in walking this middle-line tho, in that you can get a bit sloppy about checking the provenance of your food. I can get a bit careless about checking where my fish has come from - but i'm getting better.

There are also slight issues in consuming lots of veggie soya products, coz if you live in europe you're basically funding the deforestation of South American rainforests via mass soya-planting (altho the Euro cattle-factory-farmers are the biggest soya-buyers on that front - for animal feed). If you're in the US, you're just contributing to soya mono-cultures etc, which ain't so bad .

Overall, i'd say occasionally eating meat-products with decent provenance is a positive way to go

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last

Sheesh!
Salad dressing is wrong! Especially the French-style stuff.

Originally Posted by Golgot
Salad dressing is wrong! Especially the French-style stuff.
I wanna be sorry... and I'm trying.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Golgot, Oh dear god.

Everytime you rant, you make me feel so damn guilty. I had some chicken thighs from Asda today.

Originally Posted by MinionTV
I had some chicken thighs from Asda today.
You monster! Do you spend your spare time crushing kittens?

<--- don't press

I've been a vegetarian since 1998. I don't think I could ever go vegan: I love cheese waaaaaaaaay too much.

But vegetarianism was definitely an ethical decision more than a dietary one for me.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'm not, and I never will be. I don't support cruelty to animals, but I don't believe in "animal rights". But my aversion to strict veganism is this, and it's admittedly anecdotal, but decisive for me: my ex's brother was a very strict vegan for 31 years, from the age of 18. He was in great shape, ran and played basketball daily and he payed close attention to nutrition. He died at 49 of a heart attack, and it was attributed by the autopsy reporter to his diet. It had weakened his heart.

I have another friend who is strict vegan and has been for about 25 years. She has a million health problems, one of which could easily be hypochondria, but I can't help wondering if she ate a more varied diet, if she might not be healthier.

If you make this choice for yourself, I'd urge you strongly to be as vigilant about dietary supplements and your own nutrition as you are about the "rights" of animals.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I'm not, and I never will be. I don't support cruelty to animals, but I don't believe in "animal rights". But my aversion to strict veganism is this, and it's admittedly anecdotal, but decisive for me: my ex's brother was a very strict vegan for 31 years, from the age of 18. He was in great shape, ran and played basketball daily and he payed close attention to nutrition. He died at 49 of a heart attack, and it was attributed by the autopsy reporter to his diet. It had weakened his heart.

I have another friend who is strict vegan and has been for about 25 years. She has a million health problems, one of which could easily be hypochondria, but I can't help wondering if she ate a more varied diet, if she might not be healthier.

If you make this choice for yourself, I'd urge you strongly to be as vigilant about dietary supplements and your own nutrition as you are about the "rights" of animals.

On the other hand, I have a friend who has been an incredibly strict vegetarian for close to fifty years now, and she has never had a single health issue in her life.

I eat meat, all kinds. I would not say I am in great health, but my checkups show I am in acceptable levels, whatever that means. I rarely get sick, but I have had a kidney stone. Although I think that has more to do with beverages than food. I do not think I could ever become any kind of veg/fish/etc -atarian, but I do love vegetarian meals sometimes, spinach and cheese casseroles are great with a steak .

I was a vegetarian for two years, around two years ago. I became one because my sister and mother said I could never do it.

I found not eating meat quite easy after a week or so. I got a great vegetarian cook book, the food was so simple and tasted real good.

I felt better in myself and began to talk to the animals.

Originally Posted by Ophelia
I was a vegetarian for two years, around two years ago.

I felt better in myself and began to talk to the animals.
Did you start eating meat again when the animals began to talk back?

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
On the other hand, I have a friend who has been an incredibly strict vegetarian for close to fifty years now, and she has never had a single health issue in her life.

I think Sammy was talking about a Vegan.

I know two(vegans), they are absolute fascists with the stuff, and are VERY condescending about it, so I don't associate with them anymore.

I don't miss them, at all.

One of them actually stated he thought he was more evolved than all of us, hence the will to be a vegan.

what.an.ass.

I say, to each his own, just don't try filling out my dinner order for me.

Did you start eating meat again when the animals began to talk back?
Their tongues were too tantalising.

Originally Posted by Ophelia
Their tongues were too tantalising.
No dipping sauce?

Originally Posted by Sedai
I say, to each his own, just don't try filling out my dinner order for me.
You mean sir won't be ordering the grass-fed beef tonight? For shame. It's utterly bereft of antibiotic-tolerant E-coli, of factory-farming fame.

(Well, actually, the CTX-M-15 E-coli strains ain't that famous yet, but give them time )

Sorry to preach, but well... wait, no i'm not

And yes, i know i know, you can't feed grass to beef

No dipping sauce?
Saliva?

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I have been a vegetarian for 40yrs now, I never liked meat, i stopped eating lamb when i was eight years old after a visit to a farm

About the health issue, not all vegetarians are healthy, over the years i have had blood problems related to my choice of food, I have had blood transfusions, Iron in ejection's, Iron tablets and B
12 injections for many years due to anaemia, i am well now but it takes an effort as my blood levels have to be checked regularly and I have to make sure i eat enough protein. Just wanted to share that as just eating Veggies is not good for everyones health and does take some effort as in my case.