Are computers the only tool in the box?

Tools    

Are computers being over relied on in the movie industry?

Originally Posted by nari
Are computers being over relied on in the movie industry?
Maybe by some

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Computers are used to great advantage.
Computers are used to replace humans.
Computers are used at times when humans do better work.
Computers are used at times when humans can't accomplish what they can.

In answer to your question: sometimes.

The People's Republic of Clogher
When's the essay due?

The People's Republic of Clogher

There's a station for them, and I was there on Saturday....there hasn't been a train since 1941 (and no, that's not twenty to eight).

What's this thread about again?

We can't stop here!
Some directors chose to overuse computers and special effects, but alot tend to stray away from special effects. If at all possible, any shot should be done without any computer changes, but there is cases where computer editing is neccisary(sp?).

Man of La Movies
Originally Posted by Tacitus
When's the essay due?
I was JUST thinking that!!! but...I'm going to respond anyway. I think that some directors have decided that it is just easier to fix it in post production with the genius of computer technology, rather than doing reshoots and extending the work of the talent. Yes, it's laziness, but sometimes, shots can be achieved that aren't possible with actual human actors. Take, for example, the Matrix films. So many of the effects in the movie would have been altogether impossible to create without the advent of computer effects.

It is not always necessary to add computer effects where they are found, but they are the newest fad on the market. For example, after The Matrix was released, a rash of films emerged with bullet time photography, which had been pioneered by the makers of the film. Since the big influx of its use, bullet-time has sort of faded, hopefully to be used in the future only when appropriate. Computer enhancement is not going anywhere, though. Eventually, the classic dead actors that everyone knows and loves will make their ways back onto the screen. Sad, but true.

My thought on the whole thing is that movies are very much like nuclear weapons...just because you have the technology, that doesn't mean that you have to necessarily use it everytime you get the chance.

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart

My Reputation: Holy Crap, I'm Well thought of!!!?? I think we're going a little far here??

There are those who call me...Tim.
Originally Posted by samq79
Eventually, the classic dead actors that everyone knows and loves will make their ways back onto the screen. Sad, but true.
It does seem inevitable, but I wonder how the public will react when/if it happens?

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by adidasss
depends on which movies you watch, non american cinematographies tend not to use them.....
Sure they do, Asian, French... pretty much everyone at this point.

Also, what about editing? Please show me an editing house that uses an optical printer anymore... Seems like everyone is editing on computers now, no matter what country.

Are we just talking about CGi? I would agree it is overused, but can be used properly and elegantly. Take a look at Juenet's A Very Long Engagement for some tasteful CGI use....

On the American front, genius filmmakers like Scorsese and the Coen Bros. have been editing on computers for a while now, and they seem to know what is up. I think the Coen;s are heavily into computer aided post prod. as well, with results I usually enjoy (Oh Brother....)

For some Asian stuff, any of the recent rage of asian horror seem to rely on CGI as well... The Eye, Ju-On....etc....

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
It does seem inevitable, but I wonder how the public will react when/if it happens?
It happened in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - special post-mortem appearance by Sir Laurence Olivier. I thought it was pretty cool.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Sure they do, Asian, French... pretty much everyone at this point.
not croatian,bahahaha....., my point was that cinematographies that don't have as much money available as the US tend to resort to other methods to make a good film ( like work on the script more )

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
Well, at least I know how the dead actors will react.....