Crying Fist

→ in
Tools    

Running alongside each other till the end are two stories of two men, one young, one middle aged, both at a low point in their lives. Crying Fist - which is called Jumeogi unda if you're looking for it on imdb which seems to have no English title available - delivers an emotional uppercut that will knock you out Crying Fist is from the director of Arahan, Seung Wan Ryu, and again starring his younger brother although you'd hardly know its the same lad.

It's one of those rare films that pull you all ways, thus messing up your head if your urge was for a 'good guy bad guy' film. Boxing is the sport here, and it is pretty graphic so if you're a hater of boxing, it just wouldn't be worth your while going any further. Let me tell you though that if you expected an underdog comes good Rocky-stylee, then this is film is a total subversion

Both leading men are brilliant here - Min-Sik Choi as the old lion Tae-sik Kang - silver medallist at the Asian games 1990, who is now reduced to a street trader taking payment for being a stress reliever, fighting all comers. Young scally petty criminal Sang-Hwan Yoo (Seung-beom Ryu) is the bane of his hard working father's life. Both men find hope in boxing - Tae-Sik renews his enthusiasm and Sang-Hwan is virtually forced into the sport by circumstances.

Besides the beautifully rounded characters of the two leads, you have the minor figures given enough shorthand background hints for you to know exactly where they're coming from.

Ali said "There are no pleasures in a fight but some of my fights have been a pleasure to win" - see this film and you'll know it can work both ways

The People's Republic of Clogher
Thanks for the review Chris, I've been meaning to watch that one.