Nope's 50 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
gtfo k?

I'm already sad you hated Mon Oncle, no need to make the wound worse.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
12 Angry Men

They must have done something really incredible to make this movie so good. I'm not such a huge fan of the story for this movie (let's be honest, it's pretty predictable), and I didn't enjoy the play, but I love this movie so much. There must be something incredible that this movie did, and I can't figure out what it is. It's hard for me to write about and review this movie because I can't understand why I love it so much, so I'll just leave it at that.

Shaun of the Dead

The best movie in the Cornetto Trilogy (followed by Hot Fuzz, and then The Worlds End), I love this movie because it's just so funny. Like any good comedy, this movie really benefits from second watches. There are scenes in the beginning of the film where one of the characters describes the entire plot, and you'll never catch it until you see it again. Edgar Wright is probably the greatest living comedy director. If you are interested in him, you should check out the Every Frame a Painting on him, and how he does visual comedy. This is probably the best directed comedy, and one of the funniest of all time.

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

If there is any movie that could be solely driven by its performances, this would be it. Both Jack Nicholson and Louise Fletcher give some of the greatest performances of all time. Not only does the film have those performances, but it also has a great screenplay, and great director, and incredible characters. Everything about this movie is oscar worthy, and in my opinion, it should have swept the awards. Even if you don't enjoy the movie, you have to respect it.

Thank you for mentioning that multiple viewings were required to understand Donnie Darko...I've watched the film three times and I just don't get it...Jake Gyllenhaal is always worth watching though.

12 Angry Men

They must have done something really incredible to make this movie so good. I'm not such a huge fan of the story for this movie (let's be honest, it's pretty predictable), and I didn't enjoy the play, but I love this movie so much. There must be something incredible that this movie did, and I can't figure out what it is. It's hard for me to write about and review this movie because I can't understand why I love it so much, so I'll just leave it at that.
Did you ever see the TV remake with Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott? It's very good you should check it out.

Memento

Remember in my Eternal Sunshine write-up where I pointed out that there was a movie on my list that had the greatest non-linear format of all time? Well this is that movie. Memento is a generously written story that goes backwards and forwards in two different, but connected stories, all leading up to a climax in the middle. This is also a movie that you are gonna have to watch more than once to fully understand, and it is a masterpiece. Definitely Nolan's best film.

Just laid a bunch of rep on you Nope. Sorry I hadn't been keeping up. You hit loads of my faves. Your love for Kauffman even almost makes up for putting BTTFII ahead of one of the greatest popcorn flicks ever.

Whiplash

The most recent movie on my list, I had to put Whiplash up here because it's so damn good. I can watch this movie whenever and that final scene will still give me an adrenaline rush. This movie is so good, I can't even think of words to describe it. Without a doubt the greatest movie of 2014, Whiplash will hopefully become just as classic as some of the other films on this list.

The Shawshank Redemption

If there were a movie that defined 'classic' it would probably be The Shawshank Redemption, and it isn't even that old. Everything about this film is fantastic. The screenplay, the acting, the directing, the score, the cinematography, this movie does everything right. How this film (and another that will show up later on my list) lost to Forrest Gump at the oscars absolutely baffles me.

Singin' in the Rain

Another movie on my list that is pure fun. This movie is by far the most fun time I have ever had watching a film. I don't know if anyone can dislike this movie because it is so fun to watch. I'm not such a huge fan of musicals, I actually dislike most of them, but I loved every single second of this film, and would watch it again anytime. Dances usually bore me, but these ones dazzled me, songs usually take me out of the film, but these ones made me even more intrigued. Singin' in the Rain is without a doubt, the best musical I have ever seen.

Your love for Kauffman even almost makes up for putting BTTFII ahead of one of the greatest popcorn flicks ever.
What movie? BTTF 1? Because I could argue for a long time about how BTTF 2 is better than the original.

12 Angry Men is another excellent choice!

The made for TV remake is also terrific if you get a chance.
Did you ever see the TV remake with Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott? It's very good you should check it out.
I'll defiantly check it out!