Django Unchained

→ in
Tools    

Had a damn good time watching this one, when Leo and Sam Jackson get in the mix it turns into something special. What did you guys think ?

I'll post a full review tommorow. IMO though Waltz stole the show again, better than Leo, and Foxx surprised me in his maturity

Further proof that 2012 is one of the best years of recent times. Pure, undistilled Tarantino, and definitely the most fun at the movies I've had in awhile. Probably QT's most violent film yet as well, especially considering the blood soaked finale.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
Further proof that 2012 is one of the best years of recent times. Pure, undistilled Tarantino, and definitely the most fun at the movies I've had in awhile. Probably QT's most violent film yet as well, especially considering the blood soaked finale.
This sounds deliciously delectable. I love Tarantino's violence.

I just saw it Today. Tarantino's movies surprise me every second. How about Dr.Schultz (Christoph Waltz)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It's a typical Tarantino movie, which means it's full of bloody violent revenge, harsh language and interesting characters.

I really dug it, although, it is probably his messiest film, with a lot of scenes feeling out of place, even if they were funny. It could have been tighter and you can notice the difference in the film with the recent passing of his long time editor, Menke.

Still, one of the best of the year. Everyone was on fire.

Suspect's Reviews

It is at times Tarantino's best looking film, and the soundtrack is good again. And it's significantly less boring and poorly done than Inglourious Basterds. The concept and execution are pretty good- you can almost suspend disbelief that something like this could happen, and you certainly root for it to happen.

But while there are less really awful stretches, it's still waaay too long and unedited. (I haven't read Total Film in many years- do they still do that Predicted Interest Curve? If I was doing one of those, it would plummet the moment we meet the stock baddie Calvin Candie). Only one actor (Samuel L Jackson) makes much of a mark in their role. There's no sign of a return to form in Tarantino's dialogue, and there's still almost always some gasbag yammering on about something at any given point in the film. Even in his bad last couple of films, Tarantino has produced scattered moments of real, memorable flair amid the drudge, but there are very few here, almost all visual (the blood all over the white house, Django showing off on his horse, Stephen's reaction to first seeing Django).

Quite possibly Tarantino's most blah film.

Ah man I really want to see this now, comes out the 18th of January over here but I'm only 17 so don't know whether I'll be able to get in, glad most of you enjoyed it though

Django Unchained, Tarantino's first movie in over three years, has met the hype. After Argo this would be my favorite of the year, and it's not too far. It was a blood fest, and this time just as gritty as the trailer depicted. The closing sequence was non stop action and gore. The Kill Bill and Deathproof fans won't be disappointed.*

The cast was full of familiar faces and stars. But no matter how familiar they were to you, they convinced you of there roles. It was expected for Leo Dicaprio to be the star villain. I think Christoph Waltz was the star once again, like in his Oscar winning role in Inglorious Bastards. Jamie Foxx was surprisingly mature, and also fit his role well.

The scenery, costume, and makeup are all *worthy of praise. Samuel L. Jackson looked like a senile old man, and Foxx looked like a slave who has been soaked in torture. These were the things that made the movie believable, despite the outrageous sound track, and Tarantino having a role himself.

It was a long film at 2 hours 45 minutes plus, and while I can't say there were no over extended scenes, it didn't feel as long as the run time. This is mainly it was divided into two sections. Bounty hunting and search of Django's wife. All around it was entertaining, and another installment into the great career of Quentin Tarantino.

I don't think people are not giving DiCaprio enough credit. Calvin Candie did an amazing Job. He was a true sick man. Kind from the outside to violent and sadistic inside.

Does anyone know who Walton Goggins Is? he was a man that was about to cut of Django's **** ... I love the Bag Scene. "I can't see through this!!"

Walton Goggins is great, and not just because he has one of the best names in the history of names. If you like him, watch Justified. He gets all sorts of room to roam free, performance-wise, in that show.

Must be doin sumthin right
It is at times Tarantino's best looking film, and the soundtrack is good again. And it's significantly less boring and poorly done than Inglourious Basterds. The concept and execution are pretty good- you can almost suspend disbelief that something like this could happen, and you certainly root for it to happen.

But while there are less really awful stretches, it's still waaay too long and unedited. (I haven't read Total Film in many years- do they still do that Predicted Interest Curve? If I was doing one of those, it would plummet the moment we meet the stock baddie Calvin Candie). Only one actor (Samuel L Jackson) makes much of a mark in their role. There's no sign of a return to form in Tarantino's dialogue, and there's still almost always some gasbag yammering on about something at any given point in the film. Even in his bad last couple of films, Tarantino has produced scattered moments of real, memorable flair amid the drudge, but there are very few here, almost all visual (the blood all over the white house, Django showing off on his horse, Stephen's reaction to first seeing Django).

Quite possibly Tarantino's most blah film.

Can't agree with your Inglourious Basterds dig, but this is definitely the emptiest Tarantino movie. Watchable throughout, but can't match the tension Basterds built in its best scenes and really never even comes close to sustaining that same kind of movie-movie high. The elements are all there for something more involving and deeper felt, but Tarantino undercuts a lot of his best ideas with silly stuff that keeps missing its mark. He's too much of a slave to the constant winks at old exploitation films. Also never really bought Waltz's character - I think it would've been more interesting had Tarantino wrote him struggling with the language and speaking in more broken English. Agreed that Jackson gives the best performance

Anyway, despite my problems with it, still one of the more enjoyable 2012 theater going experiences I had

Do y'all think the fact that Spike Lee says watching Django Unchained would be disrespecting his ancestors stems from when spike counted the number of times the N word was used in Pulp Fiction
I think it stems from him being a twat and a racist.

Spike Lee thinks anyone who makes a film about racism other than him is racist.
I really wanna echo this. It might be because it's not him, or it might be because it's a white person, but the way he talks about these films definitely implies some degree of "ownership" over these topics that he feels has been violated.

This movie is also highly overrated and I personally think Tarantino's films are crap now and he needs to hang it up...

Walton Goggins is awesome BTW... He was great as Shane on The Shield and he is even better as Boyd Crouter on Justified. He and Timothy Olyphant feed off of eachother perfectly.

The negative rep I gave you was for your use of offensive language and was very much deserved. So how about next time you clean up your act and behave like an adult instead of just paying me back with negative rep.

I removed the offensive language in question. Try to keep it clean, please. You can insult famous people to your heart's content, just not in a way that could easily offend others who happen to belong to some part of their demographic, yeah?