The 170 Visual Pleasures of Pyro

→ in
Tools    

At the risk of turning your thread into a political debate I'll try to be brief Pyro...

I'm sure that your heart is in the right place, but United 93 is seriously-moving and wasn't made to cash in on people's heartache.

The filmmakers donated a percentage of the opening weekend proceeds to the Flight 93 memorial near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. The actual amount donated turned out to be $1.15 million.

At the request of the filmmakers, no studio-produced trailers were shown before the start of the movie in its theatrical run.
And that's all well and good and yet people are profiting aren't they? You want to impress me? Then donate every cent from this flick to the various charities that are still trying to help these families recover. See, to me this encapsulates one of the things that really bothers me about the world in general today. People are always assigning dollar amounts to other peoples pain. It's like they're saying; "Look here, we donated 1.15 million and even though from now until the end of time itself all of the rest of the profit goes into someone's pocket, what are you bitching about?"

I realize that's a generalization, but, is it? I know I am a conspiracy theory nut job and I'm more than a little biased when it comes to this sort of thing but I guess for me it just comes down to this. I watched it all live (as I'm sure you did too mark) and I really don't need to see a movie about it no matter how good it is. And being the cynical person that I am, I called it almost to the day when I predicted that it wouldn't even be 5 years before we saw a film about 9/11. I realize that last point is neither here nor there but it bothered me nonetheless. Doesn't that bother you?

Oh, well looks like Mark beat me to the punch a bit. Anyway, 9/11 never really had a big impact on me, heck, when i was told i didn't even know what the Twin Towers or World Trade Center was. Obviously the images of the crash were pretty shocking and that was all i really took away from the event, seeing people jumping off was obviously upsetting. However United 93 completely internalised the reality of the last flight and made a truly moving film. Not for commerce but as a memorial of the tragedy and heroic nature of those poor souls lost. And the whole way Greengrass follows it is remarkably objective but brutally real so by the end as the inevitable occurs, it was totally devastating as a viewer. As for watching it, it got good word of mouth while it was at the cinema and i eventually got it cheap on DVD. And i'm not at all ashamed to have spent money on it as otherwise i'd never have appreciate or realised the brevity the event as much.
That's cool Pyro, I was in no way trying to belittle your feelings for the film and if I were being a little more objective then I should be able to see how a movie like this can do some good in different parts of the world. Sometimes I can't get out of the way of my own opinion and it appears this is one of those times.

On an aside, have you thought about the profits plenty of other films have made from World Wars and such? Out of interest, does your reasoning extend to that or does their more fictional nature avoid the problem?
Excellent point and yes I have. It also depends on the film obviously. That's a rather large can of worms so to speak and perhaps I should shut up and let you get back to your excellent list.

Welcome to the human race...
I thought that listing TV shows was going to be part of the first 60 only, not part of the actual Top 100. Then again, I suppose they do count as "visual pleasures"...

I thought that listing TV shows was going to be part of the first 60 only, not part of the actual Top 100. Then again, I suppose they do count as "visual pleasures"...
Nah, it's all the same content throughout. Just when i came to write the list, i had two TV shows in mind that really deserved a place in my top 20 since i consider them to be so perfect. Then figured if had them, had to make it fair.

Just for a heads up- there's 5 more TV shows, 4 filmographies, 3 ties, 2 stand ups and 2 empty spaces

Guesses welcome

Guesses welcome, eh?

Filmographies - David Lynch, David Cronenberg, John Carpenter, John Woo (the first two are right, aren't they? )

TV shows - the only one that comes to mind is Peep Show (was watching it earlier, remembered you're a fan).

Wait a minute...empty spaces? Actually, don't explain. I want to see how it unfolds.

Guesses welcome, eh?

Filmographies - David Lynch, David Cronenberg, John Carpenter, John Woo (the first two are right, aren't they? )

TV shows - the only one that comes to mind is Peep Show (was watching it earlier, remembered you're a fan).

Wait a minute...empty spaces? Actually, don't explain. I want to see how it unfolds.
Heh, yes the first two are right but not without their surprises, Carpenter has been up there long time but decided only two of his films truly cut the mustard as films i love. And yes Peep Show was one of the two 'perfect' ones i mentioned.

In truth, the spaces were meant to be kept on the schtum, simply precautions for late additions- thought Dark Knight might make it and got truck load classics backed up to watch.

Ah, ok. Also, for a really wild guess, I'll throw in Alejandro Jodorowsky.
Damnit, it like you read my list before i literally just revised it (or just noticed- pot shots from my profile list). He's one of the ties, decided that not all his films were as good as the certain two.

I'll agree to that. Anyway, I think that's enough back-and-forthing for one night, how about we go back to waiting for the whole list to get posted, eh?

What a great last post Pyro, I think you already know that I am a rather large (in stature and fanboy geekdom) fan of Buffy and Lost, great picks. Father Ted looks very good, sadly I've never seen it or heard of it. If it ever becomes available over here I will be picking it up. I also really need to pick up [REC], that's the second time I've seen someone mention it favorably so thanks for that. And obviously all of your other choices are fantastic but American Psycho is truly the bomb.

"Harold, it's Bateman, Patrick Bateman. You're my lawyer so I think you should know: I've killed a lot of people. Some girls in the apartment uptown uh, some homeless people maybe 5 or 10 umm... an NYU girl I met in Central Park. I left her in a parking lot behind some donut shop.

I killed Bethany, my old girlfriend, with a nail gun, and some man uh some old f*ggot with a dog last week. I killed another girl with a chainsaw, I had to, she almost got away and uh someone else there I can't remember maybe a model, but she's dead too...

And Paul Allen. I killed Paul Allen with an axe in the face, his body is dissolving in a bathtub in Hell's Kitchen. I don't want to leave anything out here. I guess I've killed maybe 20 people, maybe 40. I have tapes of a lot of it, uh some of the girls have seen the tapes. I even, um... I ate some of their brains, and I tried to cook a little.

Tonight I, uh, I just had to kill a LOT of people. And I'm not sure I'm gonna get away with it this time. I guess I'll uh, I mean, ah, I guess I'm a pretty uh, I mean I guess I'm a pretty sick guy. So, if you get back tomorrow, I may show up at Harry's Bar, so you know, keep your eyes open."

American Psycho is a great underrated flick, isn't it? Think since Bale's taken up the role of Batman it's getting a lot more exposure and popularity.

Part of what hit me so hard about [rec] was i knew absolutely nothing about it beforehand, which almost never happens when seeing a film. If you do see it, which i hope you do, make sure you do avoid the Quarantine trailers because they'll certainly spoil it for you.

As for Father Ted, it's bordering becoming dated but it spawned several popular lines and some immortal characters. Not sure if 4 On Demand works out of UK but should be available there.

First Chef puts American Psycho in his Top 10, now you put it on your list...I must give it another shot.

I wonder who's read the book, though?

In case anyone was wondering, the slight hiatus is because a) i am working now (stupid hours) b) i thought i'd have got through the DVDs backed up which i had a couple of reserved spaces for c) wanted to re-watch some of the top ones so they're fresh when i write them up.

Oh and slowly reformatting...

Glad to see you've included by Buffy and American Psycho mate. The former was an epic TV show that somehow managed to make people forget about the Kirsty Swanson original and reinvent television. Gotta hand it to Joss Whedon for doing the unexpected. Did you watch it straight from season 1 or did you get into the show during the middle of it's run?

Good list and keep it up.

Glad to see you've included by Buffy and American Psycho mate. The former was an epic TV show that somehow managed to make people forget about the Kirsty Swanson original and reinvent television. Gotta hand it to Joss Whedon for doing the unexpected. Did you watch it straight from season 1 or did you get into the show during the middle of it's run?

Good list and keep it up.
Right from the start Remember quite vividly the TV ads for it and was hooked from the first episode. Epic, indeed.

You didn't think the satire aspect of American Psycho was the strongest element? I did. I actually thought it was the strongest element. I don't think i've seen a film quite so funny, seriously.

Yeah, loved the pop culture references too. What did you think of the ending?

Agreed. Satire is what really makes American Psycho unique. Now if you'll excuse me, I have lunch with Cliff Huxtable at 12:30.

You didn't think the satire aspect of American Psycho was the strongest element? I did. I actually thought it was the strongest element. I don't think i've seen a film quite so funny, seriously.

Yeah, loved the pop culture references too. What did you think of the ending?
I love the ending, you have the twist but it's still completely ambigious. It doesn't turn the narrative on it's head just intensifies it. As for the satire, i just say not the strongest element because every other facet is so strong from the characters psychology to the mise-en-scene and where it's often described as a satire- feel sometimes it neglects the other aspects that are just as good.

Very much enjoying your list Pyro

You're right about Father Ted, I still think it's funny when you catch it on Dave or one of the other oldies channels.