16th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I don't want to dance circles around each other's opinions here. We clearly see Wade differently and I doubt either of us is going to change our respective opinions. Just few more notes and I'm done.

I think you need to watch that scene again. The Pinkerton did not kill that man, Wade did.
You're right. I somehow interpreted that wrong. To me it makes his sudden attachment to Dan even weirder.

As to disrespect, besides showing a willingness to kill anyone who screws up, he calls them all animals.
Did he say that to anyone other than Dan? I didn't see that as a show of disrespect per se but stating a fact - Wade knows his men are different from him but based on everything the film shows he does respect his veteran, core crew for at least their abilities to realize his plans. The man he shot failed (literally) to gain his trust and was killed.

Also, once the gang discovers they've been duped and it isn't Wade in the coach, it's only Charlie who is willing to go back the other way to save him. The others argue that it's too far to go and that Wade got himself caught and Charlie has to convince them to go with him. Charlie is the only member of that gang who shows any loyalty to anybody else in it.
Charlie is definitely the most loyal of the outlaws but there must have been some sort of loyalty to keep them together for such a long campaign of robberies. This also has nothing to do with Wade who clearly thinks high enough of his men to have unwavering faith that they'll come to his rescue.

Now you're changing your argument. You said that he only did it to make Bale look good in the eyes of his son, but the son's mind had already been changed. If that's the case then it was only William who needed to know of Dan's courage and he saw it with his own eyes. No proof to show required and the eyes of the world be damned. But if he doesn't get on the train, there's no payout for Dan's family. They'll lose their home and Dan's death will be in vain.
I don't think it's changing the argument, honestly. Unless Wade gets to that train Dan has objectively failed.

I disagree. At that point, yes he intended to go with them, but he changed his mind multiple times between their arrival in Contention and him actually getting on the train. He was clearly conflicted between a desire to do something good and to be free again. Also once he'd decided to kill Charlie, he had to kill the rest of the gang or they would've turned on him.
And my point is that I never got a satisfactory explanation why, suddenly at this very point, his will to do good overwhelms everything else. In character driven film I want to understand the motives but I just don't see the reason for Wade's actions. Maybe it's my inability to understand people in general or a flaw in the script but regardless it's kind of ruining the film for me.

Wait Until Dark (Terence Young, 1967)
Imdb

Date Watched: 5/26/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 16th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by @HashtagBrownies
Rewatch: No

This was a solid film, but I have very little to say about it. The performances were strong, the story was interesting, and there was a fair amount of suspense to it. I never found myself bored, but I also never felt any emotional connection to its characters and nothing about the film stood out as anything particularly special or surprising. An entertaining watch, but not a film watching experience that is likely to stay with me or make me want to revisit it.

+

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Frances Ha

I nominated this because I thought it was a great piece of writing. The characters are written to make them interesting to me. Frances is an excellent character and it was a great job of natural acting by Greta Gerwig. I also thought Sophie was splendid as her best friend and it was a performance worthy of praise from Mickey Sumner.

Getting back to the writing, I love how simple the story is. I also like how it doesn't hold anything back. It isn't any type of intricate plot at all, we just see Frances going through an interesting period of time in her life. There is so much going on but it is kept simple. I love seeing Frances' relationship struggles and then seeing it all tie back together in the end. I have to give a lot of props to not only Gerwig, but Baumbach too. They both have a great future ahead of them and I love forward to seeing how their futures play out.

Was the black and white cinematography a good choice? I don't think it really hurt anything, but I think it would have been a good film regardless. Overall, a favorite of mine from this decade of film.

Poison from the Fairies is a mexican horror film from the 1980's. It tells the story of two girls, Flava and Veronica. The film has a great opening and great closing but the middle is rough. The problem with this is the film is in essence a two person story and making a horror film with two characters...children at that is very difficult.

I enjoyed the setting and when the film does special effects they work pretty well. Though to be frank I'm a little confused why this film received a Hall of Fame nomination. While it wasn't bad I doubt the story or film will leave much of an impact on me a week after seeing it.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)

This is my second watch of this (the first one was around the time it came out) and I had already read the book before watching the film. My opinion pretty much holds up. It's rare of me to like a movie adaptation of any book I like and this is one of the most honourable exceptions.

What I liked the most was how they made you imagine feel the smells. In the book it's quite easier to do than on film but I think they succeeded here!
The atmosphere in general is exactly what I think it should be: dark and gritty but always with some kind of hidden sensuality, and that's praise to a very solid cinematography.
The acting is quite good, I kinda like the main character and of course Dustin Hoffman, which never hits a wrong note! I also loved the sountrack!!

And of course, there's that last scene which is always a great one to revisit!

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)

This is my second watch of this (the first one was around the time it came out) and I had already read the book before watching the film. My opinion pretty much holds up. It's rare of me to like a movie adaptation of any book I like and this is one of the most honourable exceptions.

What I liked the most was how they made you imagine feel the smells. In the book it's quite easier to do than on film but I think they succeeded here!
The atmosphere in general is exactly what I think it should be: dark and gritty but always with some kind of hidden sensuality, and that's praise to a very solid cinematography.
The acting is quite good, I kinda like the main character and of course Dustin Hoffman, which never hits a wrong note! I also loved the sountrack!!

And of course, there's that last scene which is always a great one to revisit!

I'm reading the book right now. Saw this when it was new and I remember liking it so decided to read the book before rewatch. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the book, really, but I've only read about a quarter now (it feels lighter and far more sarcastic than my memory of the film).

Frances Ha (2012) n

Based on reviews here I was expecting this to be good even though the subject isn't really my cup of tea.

Oh boy, this one is really difficult to rate. On one hand I can acknowledge the overall skill and quality in every aspect of it but, due to reasons I'll get into later, I wasn't as entertained as I had hoped. I'm really happy that I saw it though.

At it's core Frances Ha is very simple and familiar story about young adults trying to find their place in the world. Most, if not all, of its characters are balancing somewhere between childhood fantasies and realities of adulthood. What separates it from other similar films is its clever and different script: it's jumpy and fragmented, without much to hold on - just like its characters it's trying to find its own place and meaning. I really liked the script and its controlled chaos.

Technically the film is also very solid. I think black-and-white cinematography was beautiful and fitted the film really well giving it kind of a timeless feel. Acting was really good too.

So why didn't I enjoy it? I found practically every character in the movie extremely annoying and couldn't care less what happens to them. Don't get me wrong, I think the characters were brilliantly written and they felt real - it's just me and my dislike of people like them (people in general, I suppose). Fortunately the film's fragmented style meant short scenes because I'm quite sure I would have gotten a headache from prolonged dinner discussions.

Technically brilliant but characters that really piss me off prevent any sort of attachment to the story. If I wouldn't rate films purely on entertainment value I could see myself giving this full points but as I do...

3:10 to Yuma

I was a little skeptical because Unforgiven is the only western I love post 1970's. I guess you could count Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight as well, but I kind of look at Tarantino movies as their own genre. After thinking about it though, I haven't seen many modern westerns and there's some big ones I still need to see.

I hardly remember the original except I know I thought it was average to mediocre. I think those are the movies that should be remade, movies that have a good premise but fail to meet their potential. Usually, remakes have no chance of equaling the original. I see those as pointless and blatant cash grabs. For instance, the recent Magnificent Seven. Remakes should be able to improve upon the original. On the other hand, the original 3:10 to Yuma is considered a bit of a classic, so in this particular case it's just a personal outlook.

I didn't think this was a great movie in any way but I thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife was pointing out some things that she didn't think made sense, and she was probably right. Yet, I look at this movie as purely an entertainment piece, and those aren't the kinds of movies I pick apart. It was easy to enjoy since I already like Crowe, Bale, and Foster. My wife wasn't familiar with Foster, even though she's seen movies with him, but she couldn't stand him in a good way. Bale was good in the less juicy role. The other two are the guys that are fun to watch, to be expected being the bad guys. The rest of the cast was solid. I thought a strong female role was missing, not uncommon for westerns, but a strong female presence will enhance any movie. Good action and banter, my wife and I both had fun with it.

-

Frances Ha

Greta Gerwig made this movie! I really liked her and her character Frances. Frances is fun because she seems so real. She's a bit goofy, never focused and hasn't gotten anywhere in her life, but she enjoys life and is a kind soul...I can relate to Frances!

The movie idea was fresh and the film felt original. In some ways it reminded me of something Woody Allen would have done back in his heyday. I like Woody Allen films BTW. And Great Gerwig reminded me of a young Daryl Hannah. She'd be great in a remake of Splash.

The black and white cinematography made the film for me, along with Great of course. I don't why but if this was done in color I might have felt different about it.

I don't think she's hot enough to do Splash, and I don't want a remake anyway. There's no current pair that can touch prime Hanks and Hannah.

I don't think she's hot enough to do Splash, and I don't want a remake anyway. There's no current pair that can touch prime Hanks and Hannah.
I bet she could be made up to look as hot as Daryl Hannah...but yeah I don't like remakes generally. Just saying she gives off a Daryl Hannah vibe.

Mr. Freedom

There were some good laughs and some good scenes, but overall it was basically a jumbled mess for me. The comedy reminded me a bit of how I relate to Dr. Strangelove in that the humor doesn't always work for me because at times it seems more forced. The storyline is somewhat not there either, and I understand this isn't the only film like that but it would have been interesting to see Mr. Freedom in a more plot driven film. Really did like the actor that played him, I just think that Klein is at fault for me not really liking this film. By the way, found it interesting how they kept spelling freedom wrong, albeit probably on purpose but I didn't really understand the context for that either.

Those were some skinny blonde cheerleaders in Mr Freedom. Gawds! they were so stupid... and constantly jumping up and down as they followed Mr Freedom around the grocery story, that that scene cracked me up Even that picture of them is funny And I think I finally figured out what they symbolized too.

Those were some skinny blonde cheerleaders in Mr Freedom. Gawds! they were so stupid... and constantly jumping up and down as they followed Mr Freedom around the grocery story, that that scene cracked me up Even that picture of them is funny And I think I finally figured out what they symbolized too.

That was the US Embassy, it covers a similar theme in Frances Ha with the dinner party and the hot blonde wives with Frances not fitting the mold of the prototypical housewife.

I think there is a lot of hidden stuff in Mr. Freedom, so although I didn't enjoy it necessarily I could see myself seeing it again someday.

Naked (Mike Leigh, 1993)
Imdb

Date Watched: 5/29/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 16th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by @neiba
Rewatch: No

Naked is a well constructed film. The performances are very strong (particularly that of David Thewlis) and the dark and grimy look of the cinematography lends itself well to the film's sort of nihilistic tone. I can definitely see why some people would really enjoy it.

However, I'm not one of those people and I struggled to get through what turned out to be a little over two hours of awful people being awful to each other - with only a sprinkling of witty lines and the filmmakers' obvious skill to keep me from absolutely hating it.