Citizen Goes To War!!!

→ in
Tools    

Another piece of what they did in this movie, in addition to enhancing, colorizing and de-jerking the motion was to hire lip readers so they could find out what the soldiers were saying in those fairly close up views where you can see that they were talking. The dialog was as real as they could make it.
I do remember hearing that at the time now that you mention it. Pretty incredible stuff.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Aces High...now that sounds interesting to me, another I might have to watch...So many war films and not many days left until the deadline. Do you have any war films from your ballot that you think I might like? If so hit me up! I'll try to watch them and if they pique my interest, who knows they might end up on my ballot.
I saw that and thought of you. I should check it out and let you know since I think my ballot has a large amount that you'd be familiar with.

Days until War Countdown deadline: 10

Mrs. Miniver (1942)
Director William Wyler

The story of one family's joys and heartbreak during the blitz. Mrs. Miniver received 12 Oscar nominations and won 6, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Writing Screenplay, Best Actress (Greer Garson), Best Supporting Actress (Teresa Wright) and Best B&W Cinematography.

But was it any good, hell yeah! The screenplay is very well written, never over sentimental, never milking the situation for unearned emotions. It's a very smooth, low key story, where a lot happens but the film doesn't throw it in your face. Instead we experience the quiet resolve of The Minivers as they face bombs dropping all around them.

During the film I noticed how skilled the lighting was in many of the scenes, especially the blackout scenes during the war. Instead of the usual over bright movie sets we get these wonderfully subtle shadows with light placed in just the right places.

The other standout was Greer Garson. She has this relaxed yet regal poise about her. The strength in her face and the emotions that she reveals says so much more than words could. In the movie Dame May Whitty says to her 'That you are giving me one of your looks.' That look can move mountains.

The MoFo War Countdown deadline is rapidly approaching...and the War Group Watch has wrapped up...But Citizen is still watching war movies! I'll keep doing so until the countdown deadline, July 26th. My plan is to log the war movies I watch here.

If you got a war movie or two that you think I really should watch, let me know...and I'll try to watch it. Just don't drop a big list of war movies as I tend to ignore those...But do tell me why I should watch your suggestion.

The thin red line is a classic but you may have seen it already. If not it's very well acted and takes an intimate look at war and the affect it has on the soul. It also has a huge cast of talented actors like Woody Harrison and Nick nolte 👌

The thin red line is a classic but you may have seen it already. If not it's very well acted and takes an intimate look at war and the affect it has on the soul. It also has a huge cast of talented actors like Woody Harrison and Nick nolte 👌
Thanks...I seen The Thin Red Line when it first came out and liked it for its introspective nature. I've been meaning to rewatch it before I send in my war countdown ballot and now that you mentioned it I will make an effort to do so in the next few days!

BTW are you doing a war countdown ballot? If not it's easy to do, fun and when the thread starts all of us MoFos will be hanging there having a blast.

Thanks...I seen The Thin Red Line when it first came out and liked it for its introspective nature. I've been meaning to rewatch it before I send in my war countdown ballot and now that you mentioned it I will make an effort to do so in the next few days!

BTW are you doing a war countdown ballot? If not it's easy to do, fun and when the thread starts all of us MoFos will be hanging there having a blast.

Sounds really interesting I may do one 🤙

A system of cells interlinked
Citizen goes to war? Finally! I have been waiting years for this!

Have at you, then!!!

Oh...you are just posting about war films...

Well, lucky thing for you!

Days until War Countdown deadline: 9

Dunkirk (1958)
Director Leslie Norman

59 years before Christopher Nolan made the hit movie Dunkirk...a British made movie told the story of the British Expeditionary Force and the efforts to evacuate the nearly 400,000 men from the shores of Dunkirk...all under heavy bombardment by the Luftwaffe.

I'd never seen this movie before but I'm glad I watched it as it gave me a lot of insight into the events of Dunkirk that occurred before the rescue mission. One of the things the film covers is how the British civilians, before Dunkirk, view the war as not that imperative, some called it a 'fake war'. What I appreciated about this movie is it spent time on what caused the men to be trapped at Dunkirk and how their rescue changed the attitudes about WWII in Britain.

John Mills stars as a Corporal who along with a half dozen men get separated from their platoon and don't know that the rest of the British forces are at Dunkirk wanting desperately to be evacuated. Mills and his men have to make there way back to Dunkirk through heavy pockets of German infantry.

I noticed one famous shot from Dunkirk (2017) had been done originally in Dunkirk (1958), that shot is a wide angle shot of British soldiers laying on the beach as the Luftwaffe drop bombs...the bombs fall in the far background and continue exploding in a direct line until they reach the soldiers in the foreground...That was my favorite shot in Dunkirk (2017) and it was neat to see here too.

+

Days until War Countdown deadline: 8

I didn't watch a movie last night, I watched a war documentary series and the episode was about Dunkirk.

WW2 in Color - Road to Victory 1 of10 ~ Dunkirk (2021)

Days until War Countdown deadline: 7

The Thin Red Line (1964)
Director Andrew Marton

"In Guadalcanal during World War II, a private and his sergeant clash during the heat of battle with the Japanese."

Based on James Jones' 1962 'The Thin Red Line' novel which also served as a basis for Terrence Malick's 1998 movie of the same name. I haven't read the novel and it's been almost 20 years since I seen Malick's film so I can't compare the two movies or comment on the novel. I did read that this 1964 version follows the novel more closely than the 1998 movie did, not that it matters to me but if someone has read James Jones' novel then they might want to check out this movie.

I had never heard of the original 1964 The Thin Red Line until I accidentally ran into, so I watched it. I was surprised at how much I liked it. Its an engaging film with a theme of sanity and war induced madness powering the storyline.

Keir Dullea plays the lead (the same role Jim Caviezel played), Keir Dullea is best known for 2001 A Space Odyssey, he's well suited for playing the unhinged young soldier thrust into a world of killing and death. He was excellent in this. His commanding sergeant was played by Jack Ward who imbibed his role with enough finality and cruelness to make him the catalysis for Dullea's descent into madness. And yet Warden plays it with enough common sense that his role never dives into a caricature.

The Thin Red Line (1964) is a character driven war film with enough action to suit a wide range of taste.
+

Days until War Countdown deadline: 6

Command Decision (1948)
Director Sam Wood

Good movie but you need to know it's not an action film, there's no scenes of actual war, sans the opening title sequence. It's based on a 1948 stage play which in turn was based on a 1947 novel both written by William Wister Haines. This movie is shot, written and acted like a film version of a stage play only the sets look real. There is long blocks of dialogue with key actors giving theatrical monologues. I liked that as it was really about PR and politicians with the military only getting what they needed if they schmoozed with the right person. A strong ensemble cast adds to the theater play feeling starring: starring Clark Gable, Walter Pidgeon, Van Johnson, Brian Donlevy, Charles Bickford, John Hodiak, Edward Arnold and Ray Collins.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I fell in love with Greer Garson in Miss Miniver and have a list of her movies I need to watch. And yes the lighting is very well done in this film.

Have never seen the original Dunkirk and would like to see it at some point having enjoyed the 2017 version.

BRAVO CR!!

Glorious 39 (2009)

Interesting concept film about a British family of Nazi sympathizers bent on appeasing Hitler and the lengths they'd go to in order to keep their secrets safe. This movie is more of a psychological thriller, yet the unfolding of WWII is integral to the plot.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1319694..._flmg_t_61_act

I fell in love with Greer Garson in Miss Miniver and have a list of her movies I need to watch. And yes the lighting is very well done in this film.

Have never seen the original Dunkirk and would like to see it at some point having enjoyed the 2017 version.

BRAVO CR!!
My wife's grandmother who was born during the silent film era, once said that her favorite actresses was Greer Garson and Merle Oberon. Not to shabby of a choice!

Glorious 39 (2009)

Interesting concept film about a British family of Nazi sympathizers bent on appeasing Hitler and the lengths they'd go to in order to keep their secrets safe. This movie is more of a psychological thriller, yet the unfolding of WWII is integral to the plot.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1319694..._flmg_t_61_act
That sounds interesting and I'd never heard of it. Thanks for mentioning it.

Days until War Countdown deadline: 5

Twelve O'Clock High (1949)
Director Henry King

This one was a lock on my ballot since day one. I rewatched it last night and if anything I think even higher of the film and of Gregory Peck's performance than I did before. Dean Jagger is also amazing in this. But it's the story that makes this film.

A well loved commander who thinks of his men first is getting a bad rep as a bad luck bomber squadron. Their losses are unusual high and moral is low. Out goes the first commander and in comes tough as nails General Frank Savage (Gregory Peck). The General rides his men hard and gets results but at what mental cost to the men and to the General?

This film is so good that this says it all:
This film is used by the US Navy as an example of leadership styles in its Leadership and Management Training School. The Air Force's College for Enlisted Professional Military Education also uses it as an education aid in its NCO academies. It is also used as a teaching tool for leadership at the Army Command and General Staff College and for leadership training in civilian seminars. It is used at the Harvard Business School as a case study in how to effect change in organizations.

Days until War Countdown deadline: 8

I didn't watch a movie last night, I watched a war documentary series and the episode was about Dunkirk.

WW2 in Color - Road to Victory 1 of10 ~ Dunkirk (2021)

I think I thought of a war film you might like it's called Path of glory. It stars Kirk Douglas I saw a very long time ago and I seem to remember I enjoyed it. Also adjust brought on DVD the new "All quiet on the Western front. I've heard great things about it and it looks amazing.

Another war movie with an interesting plot that I recently viewed...
Prison Ship (1945).

Captured allied prisoners are locked up on a Japanese cargo ship - but they begin to suspect their captors are planning to use the ship as a decoy to goad American submarines to fire upon it, unknowingly killing the prisoners. Can the prisoners plan an escape and overthrow their Axis captors in time to save themselves?

I loved the plot - it's a prison movie, it's a war movie, it's a ship at sea movie, it's a rebellion & revenge movie, it's a diverse cast of international characters thrown together in a survival situation movie (ala an Irwin Allen disaster film), etc.

For all that... it could have been better if it was longer & had better production values (so great candidate for a major motion picture remake). Still, it was exciting enough for a war movie with a less-than-an-hour runtime!

My favorite bit of trivia for this one is it starred Robert Lowery (who played BATMAN in the 1949 movie serials: Batman and Robin)!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038001...rison%2520ship

I think I thought of a war film you might like it's called Path of glory. It stars Kirk Douglas I saw a very long time ago and I seem to remember I enjoyed it. Also adjust brought on DVD the new "All quiet on the Western front. I've heard great things about it and it looks amazing.
Oh yeah! Path of Glory one of the greats for sure. I remember seeing that and being amazed at every camera angle that Stanley Kubrick used...and Kirk Douglas is great, he's always good in his movies. Good choice. I've not seen the new All Quiet on the Western Front but I've seen the original a couple times and think very highly of it.
I'm sure both of those movies will make the War Countdown, hope everyone follows along once it starts, I know I will