The power of movies.....

Tools    

In 1984's Splash, Daryl Hannah played a Mermaid without a human name. She is standing on Madison avenue and decides to call herself Madison. Tom Hanks' reply is "But Madison isn't a name." In 1984 it wasn't a first name. Eighteen years later, after kids watching Splash had grown up thinking Madison was a neat name, it was the number one name in 25 states and the second most popular name in the country. It's still used regularly as a girl's first name.

In the 1970 movie Love Story, Ali McGraw's character Jennifer captured the hearts of women all over the US. Almost immediately the name Jennifer became a phenomenon all over North America becoming the number one name in US and Canada for almost a decade.

Two examples of the power of popular film.

In 1984's Splash, Daryl Hannah played a Mermaid without a human name. She is standing on Madison avenue and decides to call herself Madison. Tom Hanks' reply is "But Madison isn't a name." In 1984 it wasn't a first name. Eighteen years later, after kids watching Splash had grown up thinking Madison was a neat name, it was the number one name in 25 states and the second most popular name in the country. It's still used regularly as a girl's first name.

In the 1970 movie Love Story, Ali McGraw's character Jennifer captured the hearts of women all over the US. Almost immediately the name Jennifer became a phenomenon all over North America becoming the number one name in US and Canada for almost a decade.

Two examples of the power of popular film.
I can't believe you brought up Hanks saying that Madison wasn't a name in Splash because that always bothered me too...I think it's a great name, especially a great girl's name.

Sorry gunslinger, I took your answer.
Well I go to Jaws first for the power of movie answers. It does not take much to influence one psycho. I mean Charles Manson got his idea for the murders he did from The Beatles White Album and the Son of Sam did his killing on the request from his neighbor's dog. But to influence millions of people to stay out of the water through multiple generations? THAT is powerful!

Well I go to Jaws first for the power of movie answers. It does not take much to influence one psycho. I mean Charles Manson got his idea for the murders he did from The Beatles White Album and the Son of Sam did his killing on the request from his neighbor's dog. But to influence millions of people to stay out of the water through multiple generations? THAT is powerful!
Yeah. I really like your Jaws comment. I was one of those people who it affected because I saw Jaws 2 in a packed theatre when I was a kid. It was terrifying and then I moved to Australia.

Yeah. I really like your Jaws comment. I was one of those people who it affected because I saw Jaws 2 in a packed theatre when I was a kid. It was terrifying and then I moved to Australia.
Well THAT didn't help!

I can't believe you brought up Hanks saying that Madison wasn't a name in Splash because that always bothered me too...I think it's a great name, especially a great girl's name.
I LOVE the name and I think that's why it caught on. It's just a great name for a girl/woman.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
After Jaws hit the theater scores of people decided there was no reason to go in the water anymore.
Yeah, but people did start naming their pet sharks Jaws.

Even though the Exorcist is an old film now, people still refer to the girl's head turning round when talking about someone being sick.
I think film music can be very powerful, even little kids are aware of the Jaws music and Carmina Burana is always associated with Omen.

Christian or not,the crucifixion scene in The Passion of the Christ is powerful. I suppose more so if you love/believe in Jesus, but even if you don't, its pretty intense.

Even though the Exorcist is an old film now, people still refer to the girl's head turning round when talking about someone being sick.
I think film music can be very powerful, even little kids are aware of the Jaws music and Carmina Burana is always associated with Omen.
What's really odd about your comment is that I associate Carmina Burana with yet another movie - The Doors.

Psycho shower scene. I know a woman who only has baths because of that film.
Wow.. what is the thought process here?
Being naked and cornered while sitting down is safer than being naked and cornered while standing up?

But that's not how fear works, is it. I know people who don't like to swim because of Jaws. Not in the sea, in a pool. They do it, but it worries them. I know people who don't like to sit on their bed with their feet over the edge. People pull the covers over their heads, as if that'd stop what they fear. That's the power of movies, which is kind of the point of the thread... And the title.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
You can still get killed by taking a bath...

Have you guys heard the latest Louis C.K. special making fun of sharks and the lack of suspense after they see their fin.