MoFo's who were Banned

Tools    

I was just wondering, what's to stop a member who was banned, re-joining under a different name?

Could that happen?

Technically, nothing, really. Except that, when a bew member displays familiar or unruly behavior, we tend to check their information (IP address and the like) to see if it matches up with any past troublemakers. And it does, fairly often.

If someone tries this, I'll often ban their primary IP address, which would usually force them to sign up again with a different computer. If someone wants to hop around on computers and keep registering, though, they can. It just requires far more effort for them to sign up than it does for us to ban them, so we usually have no problem dealing with them.

A system of cells interlinked
I'm wondering about high speed users with services such as comcast who are assigned floating IP's by the provider. My IP tends to drift around from time to time. A friend of mine whom I play some online games with seems to have a different IP each time we go to connect. I tend to use MoFo from three different machines. Whew, glad I am not a jack ass (most of the time), or I would have to hop all over the place to stay on MoFo

I have a list available in this forum's control panel, but it's not that interesting. Most of the names you've never heard of -- I don't recall the majority of them myself. Only a handful have any kind of story behind them...the rest are generally just spammers. According to the forum, we've placed 141 users in the "Banned" group. That's probably not exact, but I imagine it's near the general number.

As for reasons: no reasons are officially tracked, but if the member was around for more than a day, there's a decent chance either I or one of the moderators will remember what they were banned for. It's usually obvious, though, if you look through their post histories.