Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A Boy and His Dog (1975)

+

I was always interested in this movie, and I finally watched it for the upcoming Sci-Fi countdown. Don Johnson plays a young man fighting for survival in a post apocalyptic wasteland with his telepathic dog named Blood. It's a mutually beneficial relationship as Blood relies on the young man to find food, and in return Blood sniffs out women for the guy to rape. This movie is perverse, odd, darkly funny, and unique. I would say it's more guilty pleasure than high quality, and it's a movie that I'm going to remember.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Hadn't seen this in about 6 years or longer. It's one of my wife's favorites so we revisited it tonight. I like all Miyazaki, but I only prefer this over Ponyo thus far.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Syndromes and a Century

I've yet to "love" a film from Weerasethakul, but I can't deny the man's status as a visionary of 21st century cinema.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
This film is hardly of the 8/10 variety, hombre. An early work from young and aspiring director, Mr. D, Sasha Grey's Anatomy boasts a wholesome cast of known names and has all the workings of a terrific film.
The lighting is effective, albeit, a little overzealous with itself, which is all a part of Mr. D's charm and style. Cinematography has always been where D shines, and in this film, he pays homages to many of the greats, including the likes of Scorsese and Hitchcock, it's subtle, another strong suit for the director, but it's there.
Alas, he definitely wasn't as comfortable behind the camera as he was in later years. The narrative itself is superfluous and shallow, I never really have a feel for the characters, which makes the near 2-hour run-time all the more unbearable.
All in all, it's a waste of the talent involved. I'd recommend Barely Legal Baby Fat 2, another, more ambitious of Mr. D's works. He takes a lot of risks, really paving his ways as one of the great directors of our time.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Once two people report them they are deleted...
That's interesting, if true. I don't really report posts, but, have seen a few evaporate.

Unregistered User

A Page of Madness (1926)

In order to be closer to his wife, who is in an asylum, a man take a job as a janitor in the building, secretly gaining access at night.

This film was lost for 45 years and although is available on YouTube now, its apparently still missing quite a chunk of what was originally included, which is a real shame as it is quite hard to follow. There are no subtitles or narrative (the copy I watched was completely silent) and it is filmed in the style of flashbacks but in some ways that almost adds to the whole mysteriousness of it all. Some of the scenes inside the asylum are genuinely disturbing and terrifically well made. For 90 years old this film is well ahead of its time was surely an influence of many films of this nature.

To perfect the experience I recommend watching alone in complete darkness. Enjoy.

++

Romper Stomper
+

Better than I expected. Full of interesting surprises and interesting characters. At times, you can sense the evolution of a degenerate species, as certain members try to move past hatred and embrace a bit of love. There is plenty of butt kicking to go around, mixed in with some sex, crime, seizures and a bus full of tourists. The film made me smirk a few times.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tourists.png
Views:	668
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	27597  

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
A Page of Madness (1926)
Don't miss Crossroads and Gate of Hell from the same director!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Odd choice of an image to use for that.
Putting up a skinhead image would have been so much easier. I wanted to convey the message, that a multicultural audience will not be disappointed, especially when the pale gang gets their beating. Good fun all around. As you can see, the busload of tourists were all smiles.

Putting up a skinhead image would have been so much easier. I wanted to convey the message, that a multicultural audience will not be disappointed, especially when the pale gang gets their beating. Good fun all around. As you can see, the busload of tourists were all smiles.
It also doesn't give the uninitiated any idea what this movie is about (nor does what you said about it) and "good fun all around" is not a phrase I would ever use to describe Romper Stomper. Excellent movie? Yes. "Good Fun"? Not so much.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
No matter how corny those films get, I love every single one of them. I think it's simply out of appreciation for Ray, as someone who has personally tried dynamation before and knows how inhumanely difficult it is, I have nothing but respect for a man that can make it look as good as he did.

It also doesn't give the uninitiated any idea what this movie is about (nor does what you said about it) and "good fun all around" is not a phrase I would ever use to describe Romper Stomper. Excellent movie? Yes. "Good Fun"? Not so much.
The uninitiated and curious can do a quick internet search. I think violence in movies is often a lot of fun. The movie is from 1992. How long should I wait for the uninitiated to become initiated? I thought I was the uninitiated with this title and I was giving my opinion to those that saw it. That would be why we get reps in this thread, because people have seen the film you haven't. I'm pretty sure I've avoided the "review" threads with my post. I just add a few words to my ratings, that's it. There is no intention on my part to give away the storyline, review it or put forth an idea about the film, aside from my vague opinion. Mainly, I'm hoping to share my opinion, with those who have seen it.

I also have other ratings in this thread, where there is no picture at all, in case you're bored, have nothing better to do and would like to comment on how a lack of image does not give the uninitiated an idea about the films. Just go back far enough and you'll find them.