Is there a formula for winning Oscars?

Tools    

Or one for receiving nominations?

I've read 3 different articles now, all mentioning The King's Speech as a guaranteed Oscar Nomination in a few categories. One of which even says that the film, "adheres to every rule in the Oscar playbook." Clearly, casting Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush helps. But besides cast, what are the rules of the Oscar playbook? I'm a little unclear on this.

I think it may help if the movie is pretty good. I'm also fairly certain that its a plus if hardly anyone has seen the film.

That's just magazine talk. If there really and truly were a formula, don't you think everybody not releasing a summer blockbuster or horror movie would follow it?

What that article was doing, in a slightly cheeky way, is saying that certain types of productions tend to wind up with a bunch of the nominations, year after year. But that doesn't mean that every single costume drama from the U.K. is any kind of lock for any award, Oscar or otherwise. In general biopics that take themselves seriously (sometimes too seriously) starring actors who have earned nominations or even actual Oscars before tend to be one or two of the usual suspects in the running.

Last year, for example, The Last Station, a piece about the end of Tolstoy's life and his relationship with his wife, garnered nominations for its leads Christopher Plummer, an aging veteran who had yet to be so honored in his long career, and Helen Mirren, a former Oscar winner marking her fourth nomination overall. And that despite the fact that it had almost zero box office in the U.S. But it was that kind of picture, with the right cast.

But even with the Best Picture nominee pool expanding to ten films, The Last Station did not make that cut, and Plummer and Mirren's nods were the film's only chances.

Yet while The Last Station sort of proves that formulaic checklist as a path to Oscar nominations, at the same time other films from last year such as Stephen Frears' Cheri starring Michelle Pfeiffer, Jane Campion's Bright Star, and Young Victoria starring Emily Blunt just as quickly disprove it, since they all had similar ingredients yet did NOT break through for any major Oscar noms. And of course The Hurt Locker, which follows just about zero points from any so-called checklist on how to win major Academy Awards, was named Best Picture. There is no Oscar playbook.

As screenwriter William Goldman famously said of Hollywood, "Nobody knows anything. It's all bullsh!t."

Amen.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Is there a formula for winning Oscars?
Cracked did an article on this. Here's a few they listed.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15045...win-oscar.html

Play a gay person

- Tom Hanks - Philladelphia
- Hilary Swank - Boys Don't Cry
- Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain
- Stephen Rea - Crying Game

Play a dead guy

- Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
- Joaquin Phoenix - Walk the Line
- Will Smith - Ali
- Ed Harris - Pollock

Play an insulting black caricature

- Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby
- Terrence Howard - Hustle and Flow
- Halle Berry - Monster's Ball
- Djimon Hounsou - In America

Act retarded

- Sean Penn - I Am Sam
- Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump
- Billy Bob Thornton - Sling Blade
- Leonardo DiCaprio - What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Cracked did an article on this. Here's a few they listed.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15045...win-oscar.html

Play a gay person

- Stephen Rea - Crying Game
Gay? Umm... No.

Play a dead guy

- Will Smith - Ali
Umm... Nope.

I won't even start on how many of those didn't win Oscars.

Generally the most expensive oscar campaigns win.

Semper Fooey
Hollywood used to make Oscar winning movies the public wanted to see. They rarely do now. The major studios make mostly popcorn movies that don't get best picture nominations. It's up to independents with smaller budgets to go after Oscars. Best Picture nominees are rarely action movies or broad comedies, They have to be serious films that receive critical praise. That is the only formula.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I think it may help if the movie is pretty good. I'm also fairly certain that its a plus if hardly anyone has seen the film.
based,on or inspired by real events doesn't hurt either.

Act retarded

- Sean Penn - I Am Sam
- Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump
- Billy Bob Thornton - Sling Blade
- Leonardo DiCaprio - What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Yeah, but if you want to win don't go full-retard.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Semper Fooey
And Cliff Robertson for Charly.

Also playing broken down fighters is good for nominations and wins.

Hollywood used to make Oscar winning movies the public wanted to see. They rarely do now. The major studios make mostly popcorn movies that don't get best picture nominations. It's up to independents with smaller budgets to go after Oscars. Best Picture nominees are rarely action movies or broad comedies, They have to be serious films that receive critical praise. That is the only formula.
This is true, but it's tied (IMO) to the fact that those films were made for adults.

I'd also point out that a good few of these independent projects are the 'inde' arm of the majors. As I've said before, my new bugbear are these Oscar bait films.

Make an arty film about war. A war film will guarantee you a bunch of Oscar nominations.

Semper Fooey
If you are a long established actor at death's door, and never won before and been nominated, you will win.