Dos Games

Tools    

I saw a video game tab but it is over 800 pages long and I thought maybe start a video game thread that is unique and not superfluous. So I decided on Dos games. Some of them have movies in the... Cutscenes...

Let me know the dos games you liked. Or talk about the ones others mention.

It would also be the place to help people play dos games on modern PC with dosbox.

Here are some of my favorites in order of most to least. Without thinking too hard on the exact order.

The Summoning
Darksun
Unlimited Adventures
Fantasy Empires
Heroes of Might and Magic
King's quest
Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis
Nitemare 3d
Wolfenstein 3D
Jetpack
Fairy godmother
Jill of the jungle
Dungeon hack
Duke Nukem
Commander Keen
Jurassic Park
Monster Bash
Monuments of Mars
Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry

The summoning was an easily overlooked underrated game.

Here's a site with some information on it.

http://www.jaelus.com/thesummoning/

There are some screenshots.

Gradius aka Nemesis

Mario 1,2,3, Kart
Duckhunt
Punch Out
Double Dragon
Metroid
Zelda
Mega Man
Ninja Gaiden
Castlevania

Sonic
Golden Axe
Shinobi
MK 1,2,3

StreetFighter
Tetris

Gradius aka Nemesis

Mario 1,2,3, Kart
Duckhunt
Punch Out
Double Dragon
Metroid
Zelda
Mega Man
Ninja Gaiden
Castlevania

Sonic
Golden Axe
Shinobi
MK 1,2,3

StreetFighter
Tetris
I'm aware of some of these being Nintendo games? Are they dos games as well?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Ahh, @Yoda played a bunch of your original list back in the 1990s when he was a wee tot. Favorites were, I believe, Jetpack and Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3D (his brother was more into that one) and Scorched Earth.

Thexder
Played at a friends house.
I remember playing this one on the Tandy Coco. Was it also on dos? If it is I'm totally tracking it down.

Ahh, @Yoda played a bunch of your original list back in the 1990s when he was a wee tot. Favorites were, I believe, Jetpack and Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3D (his brother was more into that one) and Scorched Earth.
I'd be interested in exactly which ones @Yoda played from my list. I mean which other ones.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Tandy DOS. Yeah. Now if you wanna go C-64 I got a list there still have my old 5" floppies.

Tandy DOS. Yeah. Now if you wanna go C-64 I got a list there still have my old 5" floppies.
When it comes to Tandy color computer my favorites were super Pitfall and Springster.

It's too bad I can't get a Tandy emulator to work with modern windows.

They're rebooting Commander Keen, actually! I think as a mobile game or something?

Anyway, I played Jetpack a lot (custom level designer, way back when!), Scorched Earth, Solar Winds, Wolfenstein, and Duke Nukem, yeah. There was also this weird little Capture the Flag game my brother and I were really into for awhile that you can still play here:

https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/down...ture-the-flag/

Here's a video of it:

They're rebooting Commander Keen, actually! I think as a mobile game or something?

Anyway, I played Jetpack a lot (custom level designer, way back when!), Scorched Earth, Solar Winds, Wolfenstein, and Duke Nukem, yeah. There was also this weird little Capture the Flag game my brother and I were really into for awhile that you can still play here:

https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/down...ture-the-flag/

Here's a video of it:

I like to Commander Keen but I didn't play it as much as my brothers. But I did play and I did like it. That would be great to see it again on a modern platform.

Yeah when I opened up jetpack and dosbox I found a map from the last time I played it. I created a Starship where the red buttons turned on red thrusters in back. The Aqua button toggled the force field. And the blue one launched missiles. Of course the missiles where enemies but still...

Also I made what look like a house. I used the level ending door as the front door and you have to go through the rooms to get the emeralds before you can leave of course. Kind of reminded me of Monster Bash except of course it wasn't monsters.

That capture the flag game looks like Heroes of Might and Magic graphics.

Anyone that comes on this post I can't stress enough how good of a game Darksun or the summoning is.

Darksun can be found somewhere on good old games gog.com but the summoning is free in various places. I already posted screenshots of the summoning I'll find some of Dark Sun

I really love Duke Nukem and a lot of the other side-scrollers. And the top down perspective ones even if they don't really let you save. I have wanted to download a dosbox with save states so I can get further than ever before.

@Yoda what I really wish about jetpack is that they let you link the levels that you made so people can play them in a row like a campaign, keeping what funeral they had from the last level, and not having to manually load the next level. Maybe even let you put in some text in between the levels.

The one thing I didn't really like about that game oddly enough is that one of the enemies looks like Johnny 5 from Short Circuit. I hate to think that Johnny would move around and kill humans lol

Yeah, that'd have been cool. Big ask from such a small game back in the day, though. I'm amazed they had the level editor at all. Common now for games like that, almost obligatory, but it was mostly unheard of back then.

Yeah, that'd have been cool. Big ask from such a small game back in the day, though. I'm amazed they had the level editor at all. Common now for games like that, almost obligatory, but it was mostly unheard of back then.
I know it would probably be too much to ask back then. I just wish that overtime some jetpack enthusiasts and programmer would have made some kind of remastered Edition with additional features.

Actually come to think of it just for fun I think I'll make a list of all the games I played over the years that I used their level editors on.