Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Not accidentally, director/co-writer/editor Peter Bogdanovich's first major film met with critical success:
ppp
8 Academy Award nominations, more accolates from critics and awards organization and the movie established the careers of Bogdanovich and several of his young stars. The Last Picture Show is a slice of Texan life in the 50's, just as war and television were ending one era and ushering in a new one.

The film's kicker title "nothing much has changed" provides an informative starting point for looking at the story. The film is partially a comparison between young adults and their older progenitors, and there's plenty of common ground.

The central character is 18 year old Sonny Crawford (played by Timothy Bottoms), a somewhat quiet, good-hearted young man. Sonny's interactions with the people in this forlorn little Texas town provide the
trio
framework for a year in the lives of a pretty broad array of characters, played with amazing verisimilitude by an excellent cast. We're afforded an intimate (sometimes very!) look into the motives and struggles of a town full of people straining aginst the slow tempo of small-town life. Hollywood provides them a glimse of glamour that they naively expect to find in their own lives, all the while failing to see the beauty in each other. The exception to this is a remembered affair between Sam the Lion (the emotional heart of the town) and the now "society" wife. She describes the import of that relationship in a speech to Sonny: "I guess if it wasn't for Sam, I'd just about have missed it, whatever it is. I'd have been one of them Amity types, who thinks that playing Bridge is about the best thing that life has to offer." Sam himself recalls their affair in (I'd say) the most touching speech in the film, as a wild time shared by two people who "were in deep". The speech brought an Oscar to the mantle of semi-retired western star Ben Johnson, who turned down the role three times before finally accepting with the comment that it had "too many damn words".

cs
By contrast, Jacy (Cybill Shepard's debut role) is the only pretty girl in town, invited to all the wild parties and the object of desire of every man who sees her (and I'm not sure but I think Eileen Brennan's character kinda liked her, too), but she is having no fun. Her romantic pursuits are purely grabs for status, best summed up by her proposal to Sonny: "You just can't believe how famous we are. We're all anybody talks about in this town now...I want us to get married...Just as soon as you want to. Don't you want to?...I bet the whole town'll be knocked for a loop if we do. They'll never forget it."

Jeff Bridges handles the role of Sonny's best friend, bringing a charm and vulnerability to a character that is fairly unlikeable in Larry McMurtry's novel. Cloris Leachman, Ellen Burnstyn and Eileen Brennan bring depth, grace and passion to their roles.

The most important feature in this film, as mentioned above, is it's dedication to truth. Bogdanovich's script is fairly devoid of flowery language, despite the fairly profound subject matter. The acting is uniformly direct, unvarnished and very honest. On the recommendation of Orson Welles (a friend of Bogdanoviich's), the film was shot in black and white, for clarity in the depth of field, and those background shots root the story in the run-down reality of a sun-ravaged and almost forgotten town. Another deep root for the story is provided by the music chosen to play on radios, television and record players throughout, sometimes illustrating subtext and at other times providing ironic contrast to the emotional reality of the characters.

I'd highly recommend this as a look at how to effectively transform a novel to the screen. In the "Making of..." special feature, Bogdanovich recounts many times when he was informed that his script version was not up to par. "It's better in the book" met the response "then use the book" - a wise choice that paid off handsomely.

You ready? You look ready.
My Goodness. Your a movie reviewing machine!! Good Job
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by John McClane
My Goodness. Your a movie reviewing machine!! Good Job
haha! I've written all of these since last December, but most of them were done before I started this thread. I had them in a cold, dark place elsewhere on the 'net. Here, they're getting sunlight and gentle spring rains. It's quite encouraging.

Funny you should turn up just now, as I was just reading your reviews. You're only in 9th grade?? You write really well. Keep up the good work!

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila

Aki Kaurismäki's quirky tale of an amnesiac, the Soup Kitchen Dame Who Loves Him, and finding peace and happiness in a new life.

This film has good and bad, both in the extreme.
First, the bad. (It's interesting enough to watch, so I'll end on an up-note.) I had a problem with the premise of the whole thing. The notion behind this seems to be that if a person's past were removed, they'd be a better person. Our dome-dented protagonist, played by Markku Peltola, finds scruples in his new life that we learn he never had, prior to being attacked by muggers and left for dead. No sale. In my experience, character is developed as people have experiences and learn from them. Remove all memory of the lessons learned, and it seems really unlikely that a person will suddenly turn into a stand-up citizen.

Also bad, and hold onto your hats because this is groundbreakingly bad: the acting. WOW!! From the "slowly I turned...." moments (of which there are comically several) to the march-and-stomp method of hitting their marks, this is more scenery-chewing than Acting 101. The cast seems not only to have never acted before, but give the impression they've never seen it done.

That said, it might seem unlikely that this one is worth watching. It is. The thing is, the story is told in a very human manner and with photography that adds visual appeal. The film is a good marriage of a bizarre situation, a poverty-wracked setting and emotionally supressed characters... all adding up (against all indications) to something that draws us in and makes us care what happens.

I don't know how.
Watch it and tell me!
I have seen this one and I liked it a lot.
Here's my review of it.

As you may have guessed, I disagree with you about some of the things you've said in your review.

The way I see it Kaurismäki doesn't say that you will be a better person if you lose your memory. How can he say that when we don't even get to know the main character before he loses his memory?

And i wouldn't call the acting bad but rather different from the acting style that we see in most mainstream films.

But you can read all about my views about this film in my review.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
haha! I've written all of these since last December, but most of them were done before I started this thread. I had them in a cold, dark place elsewhere on the 'net. Here, they're getting sunlight and gentle spring rains. It's quite encouraging.

Funny you should turn up just now, as I was just reading your reviews. You're only in 9th grade?? You write really well. Keep up the good work!
I've been writing since March 20, 2004. I'm write ok. I can do much better.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I have seen this one and I liked it a lot.
Here's my review of it.

As you may have guessed, I disagree with you about some of the things you've said in your review.

The way I see it Kaurismäki doesn't say that you will be a better person if you lose your memory. How can he say that when we don't even get to know the main character before he loses his memory?

And i wouldn't call the acting bad but rather different from the acting style that we see in most mainstream films.

But you can read all about my views about this film in my review.
"The minimalistic filmmaking that goes through everything from acting to editing in this film doesn't feel forced or awkward. Maybe it is because I so stereotypically think it suits the finnish temperament." - Pidzilla

I wondered about that. Interesting.

While it's true that we don't spend time with the character before he's konked on the head, we do get glimses into his past in the way his ex wife relates to him, and the mention of his having stolen something at his old job. That's where I get the contrast with his more upstanding character, post-konk. Also: it was mentioned on the Netflix sleeve that he "discovers values he had never known". heh

I am having a nervous breakdance
Oh right. I had forgot about that. But I still don't think it means that just because you lose your memory you will be a better person. I think it is more a criticism of society and that if you turn your back on society, which the main character is forced to do in a way, you will discover those values that ..eh.. Mr Netflix talks about.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
It's been over ten years since I've seen The Last Picture Show, but two things have inspired me to see it again soon: 1) Peter Bogdanovich's commentary on Citizen Kane and 2) your review. Thanks Delila!

By the way, I find it interesting that Bogdanovich is a semi-regular on "The Sopranos" as Dr. Melfi's psychiatrist.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Originally Posted by Mark
It's been over ten years since I've seen The Last Picture Show, but two things have inspired me to see it again soon: 1) Peter Bogdanovich's commentary on Citizen Kane and 2) your review. Thanks Delila!

By the way, I find it interesting that Bogdanovich is a semi-regular on "The Sopranos" as Dr. Melfi's psychiatrist.
Thanks for the comment, Mark! I had to stop myself from raving on about The Last Picture Show. I still feel I should say much more about Cloris Leachman's performance.

I watched the first few ep's of "The Sopranos" and really loved James Gandolfini, but the grinding banality got to me after a few hours (one of the hazards of catching these things on DVD, I guess). I think I'm becoming a prude in my old age.

Anywho, glad you enjoyed the review!

Bereavement is a tough subject. Anthony Mingella's directorial debut, Truly Madly Deeply addresses this heart-wringing topic with intellect and humor.
tmd
Similarly, his lead actors are up for the very challenging task of exploring the emotions involved, and do so with honesty and dedication.

Nina (Juliet Stevenson), has lost her lover, kindred spirit and playmate, Jamie (Alan Rickman). Whether from the shock of his sudden and unexpected removal from her life, or the fact that they really did have a good relationship, Nina has been unable to move on and is losing her interest in life and is emotionally still married to her memory of Jamie. It's a memory that is increasingly idealised, until she is visited by his ghost. Through his visitations, Nina finally faces the realities of her relationship with her lost love, and realises she wants to live. Just about that time, she meets a kookily charming art therapist (Michael Maloney) - convenient timing, to be sure, but then we do tend to see things when we're ready for them.

This is a five-kleenex flick, but it's fun to watch. The relationship between Nina and Jamie is at points idyllic and charming, and also comments on the reality of even the best relationships. Michael Maloney manages to present an obvious threat to Shangri-La, but is so damn likeable that we don't mind.

On a personal note, I was thrilled to find that I understood a good 50% of the spanish. woo hoo!

Thanks for the review, this is one of my favourite Alan Rickman movies, I watched it a few weeks ago again, I used a few tissues.

Originally Posted by nebbit
Thanks for the review, this is one of my favourite Alan Rickman movies, I watched it a few weeks ago again, I used a few tissues.
haha! Not suprising. It's really well done. With lesser talent, it could be schlock, but in the hands of these two, it's very effective. Rickman is so...... grrrrr.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yeah, tis quality. (And was filmed near me )

One of the amazing things about it is that Juliet Stevenson is in just about every single scene, yet she carries it so well.

Like you say D (that's the nickname i'm settling on for now ok? ), with lesser actors it would've been schlock, but director and actors combine to full effect to make this as potent and involving as it is.

The guy who plays Stevenson's love interest does a good job too (tho i was always a bit annoyed by the dove bit. Ghosts, fine. Doves in that situation? Not believable )

John and Animal~ I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

GG~ you can call me D. I have to agree that the idea that he happened to have a live bird on his person is both unbelievable and a but unsettling. Otherwise, he was charming. I liked the hopping bit.