Why do Current horror movies suck

Tools    

Gore - disgusts
Thillers - thrill
Sci Fi - amazes
Horror - horrifies

If one is not horrified after watching a film , then that move was not horror.
That's the problem though...

I was horrified by and most remember the scene in Fried Green Tomatoes where the kid gets hit by the train. Also, Henry's death by bee stings in My Girl was horrifying. Those scenes are more intense and horrifying than some scenes in films that are classified as horror.

Also, folks want to classify Alien and Predator as Sci-Fi but both were more horrifying than many, many genre examples that I've watched.

I bet this is why it's difficult to make a comprehensive horror list. Horror is really a few horrific scenes mixed in with fare that one might see in a drama, a Sci-Fi or even a comedy in some cases. Tough to tell where to draw the line.

As already stated on this thread: A good horror movie is also a thriller, like Alien. A good deal of suspense and tension builds the fear levels up. Not many people can capture this. M. Night tries, but his latest attempt was a disaster.

And I would agree that horror movies rely too much on gore, to which everyone is now desensitized.

Also, most of them take place in the modern day setting – which is a mistake. All the classic horror movies are period pieces. Today, a horror movie set as a period piece is only made if it is one of those old classics being remade, like The Wolfman. I would like to see more new and original horror stories set as period pieces – I think this adds flavor. Taking the audience into another world completely is a good start for a horror film (one reason Alien worked so well).

The biggest problem facing horror movies is that they are mostly made on B-movie budgets. But, this has always been their biggest problem. Then again, a really good director can do a lot with very little.

A system of cells interlinked
Agreed - Many of the films I listed were made on very small budgets with little to no CGI used at all. Surprisingly, when the films take a little time to develop the characters, the levels of tension can be raised more easily, as we are actually invested in the characters a bit. The slow burn development of Let the Right One In showcases this concept well, as does The Descent, which actually attempted to develop the entire cast to some extent, and not just the lead.

My life isn't written very well.
It's been my experience that the best horror movies are independent and low budget...unless of course they're from anywhere but the US...

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Horror doesn't get much better IMHO than the original Black Christmas.
If this movie doesn't make your skin crawl... It's On Too Tight!!!

What a great tagline.

The Canadian original is a slasher masterpiece that I watch every Christmas.

Suspect's Reviews

I completely agree. It is rather annoying that nowadays horror films are all about trying to "make you jump" by a stupid "figure" in a mirror accompanied by a loud sound rather than focusing on the psychological aspect of actually scaring you...you know, making you feel uncomfortable.

Perhaps horror movies today aren't as good due to the fact that film makers today feel the need to make things overly graphic, gory, violent, and pointless. Just my opinion.

Horror movies for the most part are rather terrible as they are cheap to make so as soon as someone is successful there are a dozen derivative knock offs. There are some truly amazing horror films out there but they are just hard to find, which makes it so much better when you finally do see a great one

Anarchist within reason
The current trend of horror movies have suffered from a lack of originality and rely on tried and tested 'shock' tactics that audiences have grown used to. Not to metion the fact that there are to many remakes creeping in nowadays of old classics, Halloween, The Hills have Eyes etc (which is a worryingly growing trend in hollywood anyway)
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

I liked The Hill Have Eyes remake.
Yeah it wasn't bad actually
4. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
5. Spirited Away

Personally, I thought the remake of The Hills Have Eyes was better than the original.
Shame on thee!

Shame on you ALL!

It was atrocious. Even with the cuts to the original (sadly it seems the only one we will have) it beat the re-make hands down, on every front.
Just horrible, and utterly pointless. ICK! ICK! I say.

I love you all really though.

I don't think horror films are necessarily worse today than in the past, I think it's just perspective. There were plenty of bad horror films made before, we just don't remember them, only the good movies have lasted to today. So right now we see all the horror movies come out, and some are pretty atrocious, but in twenty years we'll have forgotten about them and just remember the ones that were actually decent. Here are some great horror films that have come out in the last few years: The Mist, Inside, The Abandoned, Drag Me To Hell, The Dark Hours, Donkey Punch, Open Water,

Musician Jobs TV Jobs

I don't think horror films are necessarily worse today than in the past, I think it's just perspective. There were plenty of bad horror films made before, we just don't remember them, only the good movies have lasted to today.
Great point.
Many a dire movie came and went. and would never be seen again, or at least not for decades.
Now everything gets releases worldwide, and stays in easy to reach circulation (even the garbage) for years, thanks to The Internet and DVD.

Now even the worst film is never allowed to simply vanish forever after just 12 people in a drive-in saw it.

Hammer Films is back at it. Maybe they will make something interesting.

I can't believe how bad the remake of The Omen was. Well, okay, I believe it. Why make the exact same movie? As much as I like Liev Schreiber, he is no Gregory Peck. And Richard Donner directed the original. Why did they even try to remake it? Makes no sense to me.

I don't care for Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula, although it was better than the original (minus Dwight Frye, who was awesome).

I look forward to Joe Johnston's The Wolfman and really look forward to Guillermo del Toro's Frankenstein.

The Mummy can still be remade. The original sucked, anyway, like the original Dracula. I don't count that thing that Brendan Fraser did as an actually remake. It was a parody.

Have you seen " the Orphan "
the style is similar to the Grudge

Yup horror movies suck

The only horror movies that i like are

1. The Shining
2. M.Night's The 6th Sense
3. Exorcism of Emily Rose

I'm tired of all of these remakes. Do they have there purpose? Yes. Are there some movies just so out of date that it really can't hit and have the same impact on the general audiences? Yes,and some films really would be good remade. (The Hills Have Eyes is a great example, note though that it was Craven who re did it, his own work) However, things like Nightmare on Elm Street...no, not yet at least. I watched the trailer for it, England isn't even in it, and he's still alive and well. Same thing for Johny Depp.
Maybe they should come up with new ideas? Just a thought. (May was a good "horror" flick)
The next problem is cg. It would seem that the world of comics becoming even more popular in film (dont get me wrong its been here but it's defiantly growing in population with the new generation), it has let cg become an avid role in a lot of films including horror. There is nothing worse that seeing a non b flick trying to pull of some horrid cg for a newer movie. I'll go back to watching the old Creepshow's with its bad blood and over dramatic red lighting.
But it gets worse. I never saw the original Prom Night, I know, I need to, but Im afraid society doesn't allow me to watch film all day. However, I did see the new one. The word lame comes to mind. I am sick to my stomach every time I have to watch some dumb blonde who can't act worth nahnahnahnah. My real issue is with the acting these days, leaning more toward the horror genera. There used to be a time when acting was a skill, where people actually went to school for it, and while looks did matter, your acting was just a tad bit more important. Having to watch old, original movies, with good acting, and then seeing the same movie by todays standards with bad acting, totally ruins my day.

I agree,

I think that modern horror movie too often rely on jarring scenes and loud sound effects to scare people. It works from the standpoint of you are scared when this happens, but it is only superficially scared. What I mean is that it makes you jump, sometimes scream, but after the movie your not terrified of what is lurking in the dark. In older horror movie there was usually a plot behind the monsters, something that everone could relate to: A serial killer (killing with a purpose, NOT blindly slaying everything that moves except the hot chick), a ghost out for justice/revenge, and of course you can't forget the deranged animals and mutant animals.

To try and put what I'm saying in perspective; the scariest movie I've ever scene is Silence of the Lambs. Anthony Hopkins character Hannibal Lecter gave me nightmares for quite some time, because he was a believable character. Conversely Friday the 13th didn't do anything but make me jump a few times. That is what is wrong with horror movies today

**there are still some good ones out there, "Saw" movies are good**

I don't think I'd say that the Saw movies are "good", but they are what they are and I do enjoy them for what they are. I know there's many that don't enjoy the gore horror, but I do and I'd even be willing to go out on a limb and say that 20 years from now people will see the Saw films for the first time and perhaps enjoy them as much if not more than all of the Friday films or the Halloween films or what have you.