Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

By The cover art can be obtained from Movieposterdb.com., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=32677418

Crime and Punishment - (1983)

I was going to work my way through Aki Kaurismäki's films at random but noticed some kind of follow on from others, so to avoid creating any chronological confusion I'm going through them in order. I hear the word "idiosyncratic" thrown around a lot in reference to this guy's films, and no other word best describes his take on Fyodor Dostoevsky's 19th Century novel, which is only a very loose template for the antics that go on in Helsinki here. Antti Rahikainen (Markku Toikka) murders the man who killed his fiancé in a hit and run, and when a caterer, Eeva Laakso (Aino Seppo), witnesses the murder the pair will be thrust into an intense platonic relationship - with the police constantly snapping at Rahikainen's heels. Rahikainen has the mannerisms of someone that is perhaps autistic, but nevertheless very spaced out and strange. Then again, many of the characters behave in a laconic and laid back way, with dry humour sprinkled into their dialogue. Events in the film remind me of real life inasmuch as how random accidents and events have unexpected consequences later on. It all plays out in a sometimes amusing, and always interesting way - there's a lightness and often slightly strange bent to everything. An interesting first feature.

7/10

By "Copyright 1950 Columbia Pictures Corp." - Scan via Heritage Auctions. Cropped from original image., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=87375215

In a Lonely Place - (1950)

Nicholas Ray's film noir masterpiece really knocked my socks off. My review for it is here in my watchlist thread.

10/10

Yes! In a Lonely Place hits so hard. Arguably Bogart's best performance.

SF = Z

Trailer:

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

By The cover art can be obtained from Movieposterdb.com., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=32677418

Crime and Punishment - (1983)

I was going to work my way through Aki Kaurismäki's films at random but noticed some kind of follow on from others, so to avoid creating any chronological confusion I'm going through them in order. I hear the word "idiosyncratic" thrown around a lot in reference to this guy's films, and no other word best describes his take on Fyodor Dostoevsky's 19th Century novel, which is only a very loose template for the antics that go on in Helsinki here. Antti Rahikainen (Markku Toikka) murders the man who killed his fiancé in a hit and run, and when a caterer, Eeva Laakso (Aino Seppo), witnesses the murder the pair will be thrust into an intense platonic relationship - with the police constantly snapping at Rahikainen's heels. Rahikainen has the mannerisms of someone that is perhaps autistic, but nevertheless very spaced out and strange. Then again, many of the characters behave in a laconic and laid back way, with dry humour sprinkled into their dialogue. Events in the film remind me of real life inasmuch as how random accidents and events have unexpected consequences later on. It all plays out in a sometimes amusing, and always interesting way - there's a lightness and often slightly strange bent to everything. An interesting first feature.

7/10

By "Copyright 1950 Columbia Pictures Corp." - Scan via Heritage Auctions. Cropped from original image., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=87375215

In a Lonely Place - (1950)

Nicholas Ray's film noir masterpiece really knocked my socks off. My review for it is here in my watchlist thread.

10/10

Both great movies.. I'd recommend any Kaurismaki movie with Matti Pelonnpaa, especially "Shadows In Paradise"

By CJ Entertainment, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=70537867

By http://www.sinemalar.com/film/9056/Susuz-Yaz/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=33027357

Dry Summer - (1964)

Great Turkish film about two brothers - one steals water from the surrounding farms by diverting it's flow back into his property, and the other takes the blame for a tragedy that results from it, leaving his new wife in the hands of his lusty, jerk of a sibling. Review is here on my watchlist thread.

8/10

Best Turkish movie I've seen.

Shin Godzilla - (2016)

Kinda different from what I was expecting, the Big Lizard doesn't get much screen time. It's more focused on the course of actions, should such a creature suddenly appear.

7th Rewatch...This hilarious slapstick sendup of daytime drama set around the world of a fictional soap opera called THE SUN ALSO SETS is one of my guilty pleasures that still makes me laugh out loud every time I watch it. It features an impressive all-star cast, though the film is effortlessly stolen by Robert Downey Jr as the producer of the soap David Eaton Barnes.

Sweet Smell of Success (1957)

Despite containing no murder or even any crime,
Sweet Smell of Success has plenty of noir credentials from its display of sleaze, tension, mood, and darkness. All the locations are in the general Times Square area of New York which provide a suffocating and intimidating atmosphere in which to ply this tale of double dealing, deceit, and one man’s almost incestuous determination to control the life of his sister.

Starring Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis, Susan Harrison and Martin Milner, it tells the story of a highly influential but unscrupulous popular New York newspaper columnist (modeled on Walter Winchell) who is determined to break up his sister’s (Harrison) relationship with a jazz musician (Milner) whom the columnist deems beneath her standing. The media kingpin (Lancaster) enlists a shady press agent (Curtis) to frame the jazz musician as a dope user in order to quell the relationship with the sister. The story continues replete with subplots and double dealing, leading to a satisfactory ending.

The two chief standouts in the picture are the impressive photography by the great James Wong Howe, and the memorable against type performance by Tony Curtis.
Howe was a natural fit for noir filming due to his penchant for dramatic low key shadow lighting, and his ability to frame New York’s Times Square area as threatening and foreboding. Cutis had been known for his roles capitalizing on his good looks. But he campaigned for the part of the sleazy press agent in order to show that he could be a serious actor. He was under contract to Universal, who was reluctant to loan him out in case the part would ruin his reputation, but in the end United Artists won out. Curtis’ impressive performance really cemented his value as a fine actor. In fact Lancaster himself stated that Curtis should have won the Oscar for his performance.

The original script was written by author Ernest Lehman from his novelette, but later Clifford Odets, known for his flare for dramatic writing, was hired to further develop the screen play after Lehman became ill. The impressive jazzy score was composed by Elmer Bernstein, which perfectly framed contemporary New York City.

It’s a landmark picture that has steadily grown in status during the years since its release.

Doc's rating: 8/10

I forgot the opening line.

By Studio and or Graphic Artist - Can be obtained from film's distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=61849730

Monos - (2019)

The kid soldiers at the heart of Monos have been trained well, but the fact that they have to fend for themselves so often means their out-of-control feelings (in a great state of flux at their age) get in the way, and complicate the soldierly duties they've been tasked with. This film's shooting locations - the Colombian Andes and on the Samaná Norte River - make this a visually lush experience with great backdrops for the various events to unfold in front of. One key to the film is hostage (you can't really call her a "prisoner of war") "Doctora" Sara Watson (Julianne Nicholson) - although you wouldn't really want these kids looking after you (depending on kids who accidentally shoot their cow only a few days after getting the precious responsibility is tough), a few of them form a significant parental bond with her. It all makes for a pretty tense, always evolving and changing movie that's part survival and part Lord of the Flies. Interesting and in some ways really sad - for you just know this is happening in real life all over the globe. What makes it more affecting is the fact that these "soldiers" look and behave like your average everyday kid - making the fact that they're in a life and death struggle over some kind of nonsense a maddening prospect.

7/10

By Isaac Wolf - IMDb, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=46552504

Ladybug Ladybug - (1963)

The "nuclear attack alarm" goes off at a secluded countryside school and nobody knows if it's real or not, leading to long practiced drills to be carried out - for real this time. The result of an event that really happened, Ladybug Ladybug is a fascinating look back at a more stressful time for the world at large. My review in my watchlist thread is here.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Payback, 1999

After a daring heist, Porter (Mel Gibson) is left for dead by his partners, friend Val (Gregg Henry) and his own wife, Lynn (Deborah Unger). After laying low for a few months to recover, Porter returns to the city with revenge on his mind. He finds a willing accomplice in acquaintance Rosie (Maria Bello), but the odds are against him as Val is now in cahoots with big time criminals.

There was nothing to love or hate here, just hitting the expected beats and then end credits. Oh, here’s something to hate: the movie is pale blue and looks ugly in a very late-90s way.

Godzilla Minus One - Terrific, really enjoyed it. There's nothing especially surprising here since the big reptile is back and now is self-healing, but it hits all the right notes for this Kaiju genre. The monster is bigger than ever, stomps or incinerates everything in sight, seems invulnerable to everything the Japanese military can throw at it, terrorizes the population and does all this with terrific animation.

While I would not consider myself to be a big fan of the genre, I do admit to having seen lots of these movies since the big guy hit the screen in 1954, with a costumed actor, toy vehicles and cardboard buildings. Everything looks digital now. Fortunately the presentation I saw resisted the temptation to do an English language version. It was in Japanese with subtitles, very much my preference.

I would say that it's my favorite movie of the year, but being early in January, that doesn't say much, so I'll say that it's my favorite monster movie of recent years. If you like this sort of thing, don't miss it.

8/10

In the tall grass. 9/10! This movie kept me on edges untill the end. It kinda plays with your mind. It combines past, present and future. And it's a little scary, the antagonist is really crazy. You can find trailer on youtube.

Looks good, been viewing western movies. Can't post the link to the playlist.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Max et les ferrailleurs [Max and the Junkmen] (1971)

Directed by Claude Sautet
Starring Michel Piccoli and Romy Schneider

It is always a magic watching Piccoli and Schneider. Some very original and unconventional ideas in this Police-story.
In addition, very good role by almost forgotten Bernard Fresson.

77/100

Raging Bull
Of course at 17, I liked the movie and the director, but I didn't know anything then. I only knew 3-4 directors, so the obvious were "favorites" but within a few years, none of them would make a favorite list.

The movie is redundant. Jealous Jake constantly. Scorsese has to be the one of the most overrated directors. Like Frank Perry (who's wife co-wrote), when Eleanor Perry divorced him, ALL his movies stunk afterwards, and without Paul Schrader, writer and author (Taxi Driver, etc), it was never the same. And the "newer" movies I saw of his were horrible. I won't even name them because I don't want the internet algorithm to give them any more chances when one can easily watch a great 60/70s movies for the first time.

A Dark Place, 2018

When a young boy is found dead in a river, garbage truck driver Donald (Andrew Scott) becomes fascinated by the case, even more so when local officials seem determined to chalk the death up as an accident with basically no investigation. As Donald navigates a strained relationship with his daughter, Wendy (Christa Beth Campbell), he becomes more and more fixated on the mysterious death and getting to the bottom of the mystery.

A decent mystery-drama, but it doesn’t all come together in the end.

FULL REVIEW