31st Annual Portland International Film Festival

Tools    

31st Annual PORTLAND INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
February 7th to 23rd, 2008

Yes, it's time again for one of my very favorite Portland traditions, the International Film Festival. Every year over a hundred movies are screened in over two weeks in February, from all over the world. The biggest joy for me is usually discovering those works of world cinema that I would otherwise probably not have an opportunity to see. In years past some of the movies from Vietnam, Iran, Brazil, Sweden, China and from all over the globe have been my favorites of the entire festival. The countries represented this year are Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Guinea, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Mexico, Mongolia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Turkey, United States and Vietnam.

The festival doesn't officially begin for ten days yet, but because I'm a member of the Northwest Film Center I get to attend the advance press screenings. Those start today. This afternoon I'll be seeing Austria's Oscar nominated WWII piece The Counterfeitters and Helen Hunt's directorial debut Then She Found Me starring herself, Matthew Broderick, Bette Midler and Colin Firth. Tomorrow it's Caramel from Lebanon and the U.K. comedy In Bruges, then Wednesday is Mexico's Under the Same Moon and Irina Palm from Belgium starring Marianne Faithful. Sweet.

I usually see between thirty and forty films during the run of the festival, but this year I've worked my schedule out to catch a bunch of the press screenings so I may be able to get closer to fifty movies this year. I'll post reviews of each as I see them in this thread.

HERE is a list of all the films scheduled for the 2008 PIFF
HERE is the thread from the 2007 PIFF
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sweet. Thanks Holden, I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread, I catch some of these types of films on DVD when they come out and now you'll make it easier for me to bookmark them.

Do you? Or have you ever been up here for our Seattle Film Festival as well? Or, are they pretty similar?

Originally Posted by Powderedwater
Do you? Or have you ever been up here for our Seattle Film Festival as well? Or, are they pretty similar?
I have. I didn't go in 2007, but I did make it to the 2006 festival and it was a blast. The Seattle festival is longer and has more films, but there is plenty of overlap I noticed in the year I went - there were probably twenty or so films that had played in Portland that February. But yeah, it was great. I meant to check it out last year but wound up too busy in June. I also had a place to stay for free in '06 as a friend of mine had his short film in competition, but I can pick out a day or two to drive up. I'll scope out what they've got this summer.

Until then, PIFFward Ho!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Hope you like The Counterfeiters, I thought it was a good film. It sounds like a good festival and I look forward to your reviews.

Die Fälscher - The Counterfeiters (Stefan Ruzowitzky, Austria)

Based on a true story, Die Fälscher tells of the Nazi plan to flood the wartime markets with British and American currency in the largest counterfeiting operation in history. Its essentially told through the eyes of one man, Salomon "Sally" Sorowitsch (Karl Markovics), a Russian Jew living in Berlin in the '30s with the reputation as a premiere forger of documents and currency. He's arrested by the SS and thrown into Concentration Camps. Fancying himself an amoral survivor, he manages to keep alive when his artistic talents become known and he can do portraits of the Officers and propaganda murals. But then he's plucked for a very special detail in the later days of the War, taken to a camp with two special barracks. These barracks are full of Jewish printers, engravers and photographers who have been gathered to make phony British Pound notes and American Dollars. The prisoners in this detail are treated like kings compared to the normal camp experience, though they know the minute either they've outlived their purpose or the War is over they will be executed to keep the operation a secret. The men on this special detail feel the guilt of being treated better than the hundreds they know go to their deaths each day, as well as a decision to make about their work when they realize how directly they are financing the German war effort.

It's kind of a mix of Stalag 17 and Schindler's List and well told. Markovics is very good in the lead as the man who isn't as amoral and unaffected by it all as he would like to think. Devid Striesow is also good as the smiling German Officer in charge of the counterfeiters and August Diehl strong as the man who would rather intentionally sabotage the work and sacrifice himself for a principle than help the Nazi's at all. An interesting and largely unknown chapter of WWII history with a very good lead performance has to make this a favorite at the upcoming Oscars where it is nominated as Best Foreign Language feature.

GRADE: B+

Then She Found Me (Helen Hunt - U.S.A.)

Helen Hunt, who won the Oscar as Best Actress back in 1998 for James L. Brooks' As Good As It Gets as well as multiple Emmys on the '90s sitcom "Mad About You", has kept a relatively low profile in recent years, working sparingly since 2000. She's finally reemerged with her directorial debut, in which she also stars and had a hand in writing the script. Then She Found me is a dramady about an elementary school teacher in her late thirties named April (Hunt) who's new marriage to her husband (Matthew Broderick) breaks up and her mother dies. She also has baby fever, and knows at her age her time is running out. Her mother had been encouraging to adopt, but having been adopted herself April wants the connection she assumes only actual birth will bring. He theory of how important a blood relation really is gets tested when her birth mother (Bette Midler), a local celebrity with a daytime chat show, finally makes contact after all this time. But she doesn't really like her "real" mother very much, not her boisterous, self-involved personality and especially not her penchant for lying. In the middle of all this crisis she also meets her dream man (Colin Firth), a divorced single-father of two with his son in one of her classes.

Hunt's direction is fine, though nothing special. In fact that pretty well describes Then She Found Me in total. The tone that vacillates between points of drama and a sometimes sitcomy sensibility with the comedy never gels, but emotionally it never brings one to tears or makes you laugh out loud. She doesn't have the delicate touch of James L. Brooks nor is it grounded in a kind of character-based reality of say Kenneth Lonergan's You Can Count On Me. What's on the screen is competent but almost instantly forgettable. I liked Colin Firth's character best, not just because of his natural charisma but because his character is given some darker edges to play in a couple scenes which make him stand out from the rest, who are fine but not asked to do much. It's all well-meaning, but as a feature director I don't forsee Helen Hunt becoming the next Tamara Jenkins or Allison Anders or even Nancy Meyers. I guess she'll just have to go back to being a movie star.

GRADE: C-

سكر بنات - Caramel (Nadine Labaki, Lebanon)

A lot of the movies I see at the International Film Festival are not remarkable or noteworthy in cinematic terms but are still refreshing and worthwhile from a sociological perspective. In terms of plot and character, Caramel, about a group of women centered around a beauty shop, offers little you haven't seen before. Each woman has their own problems to deal with; Layale (director and co-writer Nadine Labaki) is in a dead-end unhealthy relationship with an older married man, Nisrine (Yasmine Elmasri) is nervous about her upcoming wedding and unsure if her fiancé is the right man for her or how to love him, Rima (Joanna Moukarzel) is trying to come to terms with her attraction to women, Jamale (Gisèle Aouad) is a middleaged wannabe actress who is realizing she may be too old to catch her dreams, Rose (Sihame Haddad) has to decide if she wants to start a romantic relationship or continue looking after her sister. The small triumphs and tragedies of these women play out pretty much as you'd expect. What makes Caramel worthwhile is its country of origin: Lebanon.

This is a small movie written and directed by a beautiful thirty-three-year-old woman in her hometown of Beirut. Completed just days before the 2006 war with Israel began, Caramel (a reference to the confection boiled up not for candied eating but for waxing at the beauty shop) is a warm and charming character piece from a strong female perspective that focuses on concerns and emotions that are international and universal. It's not a great work of revolutionary cinema and Labaki doesn't seem destined to become the Middle Eastern queen of dramedy (I'd certainly see this before any and all movies starring Kate Hudson & Matthew McConaughey), but it is great to see an unfiltered cultural perspective and to realize how familiar it really is.

GRADE: C+

Áo lụa Hà Đông - The White Silk Dress (Lưu Huỳnh, Vietnam)

Since Michael Cimino's The Deer Hunter and Coppola's Apocalypse Now American filmmakers have been dealing with the Vietnam War with serious and metaphorical cinema. But only a handful of movies have come from Vietnam itself. Lưu Huỳnh's epic is an allegorical tale of one family, a husband and wife and their four children, as they deal with the changing country from the mid 1950s at the end of French Colonial rule up through the United States military action that ended in 1975. The title object is the dress that Khanh Quoc Nguyen's character was found in as an abandoned infant and Truong Ngoc Anh's character used as her wedding dress when they married, even though they were firmly stuck in poverty. As their one possession it is a cherished object and becomes even more important years later when their two oldest daughters are of school age and need the garment to be recut into a dress they can share to receive educations. We watch as the husband and wife struggle and do anything they can to let their small family survive. The most extreme act is like something out of a David Lynch or Pier Paolo Pasolini flick where Truong sells her services as a wetnurse by feeding an ailing old rich man through a breast-sized gloryhole. What that symbolizes exactly in Vietnam's history I'm not sure, but it's an image I won't soon forget.

The politics of The White Silk Dress are kind of all over the place and difficult to pin down, but whatever grander metaphors Lưu Huỳnh was going for it does work as a stylized if sometimes muddled and tad too long drama of this one family. Truong Ngoc Anh is especially good as the wife and mother doing whatever she can for her family.

GRADE: C

Irina Palm (Sam Garbarski, Belgium/U.K.)

Speaking of gloryholes, Irina Palm is an odd and interesting piece about another woman who finds herself doing something she never would have dreamed of for the sake of a loved one. Singer and sometimes actress Marianne Faithfull stars as Maggie, a frumpy widow living outside of London who has a problem. Her pre-teen grandson is sick, and after years of battling the illness she and her son and daughter-in-law are tapped out financially and emotionally. The little boy is nearing the end unless he can get a special new treatment in Australia. The medical procedures would be done pro bono, but as far as airline tickets, hotels, etc., they have no way to pay. Maggie has already sold her house and unless they can come up with multiple thousands of dollars in six short weeks, all hope may be lost. Depressed and desperate, Maggie applies for loans and jobs only to be turned down for lack of collateral and experience. It's in this state that she happens upon a sign outside a club looking for a hostess.

Hostess is just a euphemism, what the job really entails is sex. This strip club has rooms with gloryholes where a man can get anonymous release from a soft female hand. The club owner (Miki Manojlovic) takes a look at Maggie's hands and offers her a job, starting for at least six-hundred pounds a week. She is terrified and offended, of course, but after sleeping on it and realizing her lack of options she decides to give it a try. She is reticent and disgusted, but quickly it becomes just a job and soon she is gaining a reputation as the best hands in London and she's given a handle (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) "Irina Palm", a stage name of sorts. But if her son or her conservative suburban friends discover her secret before she's gotten enough money for her grandson all will be for naught.

This could have easily degenerated into the kind of wacky comedy with a salacious bent but heart of gold that the U.K. has been cranking out with regularity since the surprise success of The Full Monty a decade ago. But Irina Palm doesn't go for the cheap laugh nor does it lean on paint-by-numbers sentimentality. It's a very odd character piece and Faithfull is very good in the lead, a very understated and realistic performance in the midst of unusual and potentially extreme subject matter. The trust in and reliance on that character is the movie's greatest strength.

GRADE: B-

It's been a long time since I last heard of Helen Hunt. Good to know she has a new film with Colin Firth.

Le Voyage du Ballon Rouge - The Flight of the Red Balloon
(Hsiao-Hsien Hou, Taiwan/France)

And then every year there are one or two that are perfect examples of why people hate "foreign films". I've seen only two of Hsiao-Hsien Hou's other films, A Time to Live, a Time to Die (1985) and Café Lumičre (2003), so I know he is a laconic and mostly visual filmmaker. But The Flight of the Red Balloon takes that to the extreme of boredom. Only very loosely inspired by Lamorisse's classic short The Red Balloon (1956), this one is also set in Paris and centered on a little boy (Simon Iteanu) and a floating balloon that may or may not be there but also adding his mother (Juliette Binoche) and a new nanny (Fang Song). I'd tell you what the plot is except that there isn't one. Binoche is a puppeteer going through a long-distance divorce witnessed only in a couple angry phone calls, the nanny is a young film student, and the boy is withdrawn much of the time. And that's pretty much it: nothing happens. Now I have the capacity to absolutely adore cinema that is about stillness and images and the minuate of behavior and emotions stripped down to their minimums. Godard can do it. Antonioni did it. And given the admittedly little I've seen of Hou's filmography I'd say he's capable of it...but it just doesn't work for me in The Flight of the Red Balloon. It's beyond minimalism and goes over the line to become nothing at all. It is beautifully shot by Pin Bing Lee and perhaps I'll rewatch this one again years from now and it'll click, but on first viewing it was duller than dishwater.

GRADE: D

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

Die Fälscher - The Counterfeiters (Stefan Ruzowitzky, Austria)

Based on a true story, Die Fälscher tells of the Nazi plan to flood the wartime markets with British and American currency in the largest counterfeiting operation in history. Its essentially told through the eyes of one man, Salomon "Sally" Sorowitsch (Karl Markovics), a Russian Jew living in Berlin in the '30s with the reputation as a premiere forger of documents and currency. He's arrested by the SS and thrown into Concentration Camps. Fancying himself an amoral survivor, he manages to keep alive when his artistic talents become known and he can do portraits of the Officers and propaganda murals. But then he's plucked for a very special detail in the later days of the War, taken to a camp with two special barracks. These barracks are full of Jewish printers, engravers and photographers who have been gathered to make phony British Pound notes and American Dollars. The prisoners in this detail are treated like kings compared to the normal camp experience, though they know the minute either they've outlived their purpose or the War is over they will be executed to keep the operation a secret. The men on this special detail feel the guilt of being treated better than the hundreds they know go to their deaths each day, as well as a decision to make about their work when they realize how directly they are financing the German war effort.

It's kind of a mix of Stalag 17 and Schindler's List and well told. Markovics is very good in the lead as the man who isn't as amoral and unaffected by it all as he would like to think. Devid Striesow is also good as the smiling German Officer in charge of the counterfeiters and August Diehl strong as the man who would rather intentionally sabotage the work and sacrifice himself for a principle than help the Nazi's at all. An interesting and largely unknown chapter of WWII history with a very good lead performance has to make this a favorite at the upcoming Oscars where it is nominated as Best Foreign Language feature.

GRADE: B+
This is great to know! I saw it on a show called the Big Tease, they showed the trailer, now I hope they come to my hometowns film festival SLIFF (Saint Louis International Film Festival) in August

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I screwed this up, but I'm quoting the HoldenMonster here:

Le Voyage du Ballon Rouge - The Flight of the Red Balloon
(Hsiao-Hsien Hou, Taiwan/France)
GRADE: D

This is me now:
Does your rating reflect the fact that he's pimping an archetypal film, or is that independent of your feelings? I'm asking because, although I love beautiful cimematography more than most, you just about sounded like you were heading for "F-Troop".

Sorry...

Originally Posted by mark f
I'm asking because, although I love beautiful cimematography more than most, you just about sounded like you were heading for "F-Troop".
Yeah, I like to reserve the F bomb for just out and out irredeemable garbage with no attempt at substance. And as little as I enjoyed The Flight of the Red Balloon, I would rather watch it two more times before I sat through even twelve minutes of Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds or the Eva Longoria-Parker romantic ghost "comedy" Over Her Dead Body.

If you catch my distinction. And I really am leaving room for Flight of the Red Balloon improving on a second viewing. Not to a masterpiece, I would doubt that kind of jump, but in a different mood I may find more things to like. The new Matthew McConaughey/Kate Hudson thingie Fool's Gold, probably less of a chance there. Although like sewer rat and pumpkin pie, I may never know 'cause I wouldn't watch the filthy mutherfu*ker.

Or something like that.

So, I realize this is a little early, but are you saying you left out any connections between the inspirational film and this new one you just saw? This is as good a place to hypothesize because I don't think anybody's gonna call you on spoilers. However, I'm kinda actually interested.

So, I realize this is a little early, but are you saying you left out any connections between the inspirational film and this new one you just saw? This is as good a place to hypothesize because I don't think anybody's gonna call you on spoilers. However, I'm kinda actually interested.
No, there really aren't any specific references so to speak, just a general evocation. The first scene is the little boy outside a metro stop asking the balloon if it wants to come home with him. At that point we haven't seen the balloon yet. After he asks a few moire times he descends and then we see a red balloon floating above a tree. Then the balloon does follow him, or at least flies over Paris and winds up outside his apartment. But that's really the only time the boy interacts with the balloon, though it keeps appearing, and unlike the original brilliant short film none of the Parisian residents seem to ever see it or react to it when it is flying about. It does seem to be only a figment of his imagination, or possibly of the filmmaker's imagination...the authorship of which is compounded by the nanny/film student explaining in one scene later in the flick to Mom that with her computer's software she can edit in a balloon to footage she's been taking of the kid while she's watching him.

So it's left purposefully obtuse. But whatever the balloon in this new film is supposed to represent and however much the original may have inspired Hsiao-Hsien Hou, it doesn't have a "relationship" with the boy, nor does it exhibit any sort of personality: it's only there as an icon, really.

At the very least this screening today did remind me that I haven't actually sat and watched Albert Lamorisse's movie all the way through in many years now, and also made me realize I don't actually have it in my collection anywhere. I'll remedy both of those points in the next few days.

Good. They don't happen to package that goodie (I taped it off TCM a long while ago, if only to show my daughter) with White Mane, do they?

As far as the original Red Balloon, my elementary school showed that about 45 years ago, and it's never left me since. I get a bit more misty-eyed watching it nowadays though.

Originally Posted by mark f
As far as the original Red Balloon, my elementary school showed that about 45 years ago, and it's never left me since. I get a bit more misty-eyed watching it nowadays though.
Yeah, when I was in elementary school in the 1970s they were still showing us The Red Balloon. More than once. I know I saw it on TV in the early 1990s and it was a welcome stroll down memory lane, but I don't believe I've seen it in its entirety since then.